Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan wrote: May 13th, 2024, 6:31 pm
Lorna wrote: May 13th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Damned if some eps of PERRY MASON are not BAROQUE in their plotting
Byzantine, even
THAT, yes THAT, that was THE WORD I was looking for.

I've gotten too lazy to check THESAURUS.COM

They had one the other day about two sisters and one was maybe a guy's dead wife- I don't know if DAVID LYNCH could figure it out.

it's kind of surprising that A TV SHOW from that ERA would be so willing to challenge the viewer.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ONCE SHE FINISHES THE INTRO, THIS REALLY DOES GET INTERESTING, ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE GOES IN TO HOW CERTAIN COSTUME STYLES IN THE FILM REFLECT HOW SOME OF THE CHARACTERS ARE "STUCK" IN THE TIME PERIOD OF THEIR GLORY DAYS.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

If you hadn;t guessed, I've switched from EVIL UNDER THE SUN to watching DEATH ON THE NILE on loop.

I've seen this film 154 times.

SPOILERS

i was reading PAULINE KAEL'S review and she makes a point that JOHN GUILLERMAN'S direction is more workmanlike and perfunctory than ARTISTIC or THOUGHT-OUT, and I can see that, because while it has a lot going for it, there are certain TOUCHES OF FLAIR that I WISH HAD BEEN ADDED to the film to really make it POP...

SUCH AS:

THE DUBBING OF LOIS CHILES, it's obvious they did it, and I've learned to low key love it, but I wish for certain lines, such as "NOW, BARNSTABLE" and "YOUR VULGAR DRIBBLE" that they had brought in MERCEDES MACAMBRIDGE to do her EXORCIST VOICE. Think about it, I think it could Have worked.

THE "HYPOTHETICAL MURDER" SCENARIOS
- as much as I love PETER USTINOV as POIROT, he is kind of a dick in this movie, really casting accusations right off the bat, even in some cases where it really doesn't make sense (BETTE DAVIS happened to steal the gun then happened to steal the pearls than happened to shoot LOIS CHILES? I mean, maybe in the name of good acting- THAT would have been a more believable motive, but you're on weak ground HERCULE) SO, IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO THAT, and have (with each accusation) a FANTASY SEQUENCE where the character gets to act out having killed LOIS CHILES- i say let all the actors REALLY GO FOR IT AND HAM IT UP. In particular, give ANGELA LANSBURY a three-and-a-half minute sequence where she stumbles into the saloon and tries numerous times to put the gun into her purse, ultimately shooting off her pinkie toe by accident.

JON FINCH'S CHARACTER HAS NO REASON TO BE IN THIS MOVIE-
IN THE BOOK his character is secretly an ENGLISH LORD, I really don't know why they couldn't have taken two minutes of SCREEN TIME to tack that on to the movie, also OLIVIA HUSSEY deserved a scene where she really mourned her mother's death in a more realistic manner. they could have totally worked the reveal that the commie guy is really a BRITISH LORD then.

MOVIE NEEDS MORE ANGELA LANSBURY. nothing to add really, except it would be kinda funny if- before she falls to the floor in her last scene, she calmly declares "I MAY HAVE BEEN SHOT"

THE COBRA IN POIROT'S CABIN doesn't really make sense if you think about it,
also a boat with that many r=ich people wouldve had a NIGHT WATCHMAN and SECURITY, but you know, that's more me thinking out loud.

get OSKAR WERNER for the JACK WARDEN part,
nothing against JACK, but I mean, get a genuine GERMAN.

I hate the scenes with IS JOHAR as the MANAGER, god they never fail tyo make me wince "that certainly takes the camel's hump" indeed.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

IT'S also interesting to view the film now that I know that EVERY SINGLE SHOT ON THE BOAT that takes place in the nighttime was done ON A SOUNDSTAGE IN ENGLAND!

**SHOOTING AT NIGHT on location on THE NILE would've required LIGHTS that would have ATTRACTED A BAJILLION MOTHS AND INSECTS
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 13th, 2024, 6:56 pm We just watched "The Case of the Wandering Widow" on Perry Mason, featuring Casey Adams/Max Showalter. It is so not a spoiler that his character turns out to be slimy and gets bumped off. Agatha Christie fans will note a resemblance in set-up to ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE, although this episode takes a different turn.

Dean Haren, who plays a prisoner, looks like a cousin of Tommy Lee Jones. Imdb notes that Haren was on Perry Mason four times, and his wife June Dayton was on five times. Coleen Gray plays Mason's client.

Ralph Clanton, also seen on this episode, might be remembered by some as the tycoon Jasper Delaney on Somerset.
Casey Adams was in a lot of PM episodes.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 8:09 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 13th, 2024, 3:36 pm That's Great American Family. It's crazy how many ads they have during murder She Wrote as well.
it's also crazy how SERIOUSLY they take CHRISTMAS MOVIES, in (checks calendar) MAY.

(like, they don't even have the CHRISTMAS IN JULY "excuse")
As if Hallmark wasn't bad enough....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 9:54 am If you hadn;t guessed, I've switched from EVIL UNDER THE SUN to watching DEATH ON THE NILE on loop.

I've seen this film 154 times.

SPOILERS

i was reading PAULINE KAEL'S review and she makes a point that JOHN GUILLERMAN'S direction is more workmanlike and perfunctory than ARTISTIC or THOUGHT-OUT, and I can see that, because while it has a lot going for it, there are certain TOUCHES OF FLAIR that I WISH HAD BEEN ADDED to the film to really make it POP...

SUCH AS:

THE DUBBING OF LOIS CHILES, it's obvious they did it, and I've learned to low key love it, but I wish for certain lines, such as "NOW, BARNSTABLE" and "YOUR VULGAR DRIBBLE" that they had brought in MERCEDES MACAMBRIDGE to do her EXORCIST VOICE. Think about it, I think it could Have worked.

THE "HYPOTHETICAL MURDER" SCENARIOS
- as much as I love PETER USTINOV as POIROT, he is kind of a dick in this movie, really casting accusations right off the bat, even in some cases where it really doesn't make sense (BETTE DAVIS happened to steal the gun then happened to steal the pearls than happened to shoot LOIS CHILES? I mean, maybe in the name of good acting- THAT would have been a more believable motive, but you're on weak ground HERCULE) SO, IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO THAT, and have (with each accusation) a FANTASY SEQUENCE where the character gets to act out having killed LOIS CHILES- i say let all the actors REALLY GO FOR IT AND HAM IT UP. In particular, give ANGELA LANSBURY a three-and-a-half minute sequence where she stumbles into the saloon and tries numerous times to put the gun into her purse, ultimately shooting off her pinkie toe by accident.

JON FINCH'S CHARACTER HAS NO REASON TO BE IN THIS MOVIE-
IN THE BOOK his character is secretly an ENGLISH LORD, I really don't know why they couldn't have taken two minutes of SCREEN TIME to tack that on to the movie, also OLIVIA HUSSEY deserved a scene where she really mourned her mother's death in a more realistic manner. they could have totally worked the reveal that the commie guy is really a BRITISH LORD then.

MOVIE NEEDS MORE ANGELA LANSBURY. nothing to add really, except it would be kinda funny if- before she falls to the floor in her last scene, she calmly declares "I MAY HAVE BEEN SHOT"

THE COBRA IN POIROT'S CABIN doesn't really make sense if you think about it,
also a boat with that many r=ich people wouldve had a NIGHT WATCHMAN and SECURITY, but you know, that's more me thinking out loud.

get OSKAR WERNER for the JACK WARDEN part,
nothing against JACK, but I mean, get a genuine GERMAN.

I hate the scenes with IS JOHAR as the MANAGER, god they never fail tyo make me wince "that certainly takes the camel's hump" indeed.

I've seen the PBS Mystery version and it's different than the movie version. I'm not sure which one is closer to the book. The PBS version has 2 other characters: a gay thief and his mom, that weren't in the film version. The ending is a bit different too. The Maggie Smith character leaves with some guy (I forget who it was now, it wasn't the radical) and doesn't stay with Mrs. Schulyer, who is a bit different than in the film. Angela's daughter doesn't take up with the radical either, IIRC.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 10:04 am IT'S also interesting to view the film now that I know that EVERY SINGLE SHOT ON THE BOAT that takes place in the nighttime was done ON A SOUNDSTAGE IN ENGLAND!

**SHOOTING AT NIGHT on location on THE NILE would've required LIGHTS that would have ATTRACTED A BAJILLION MOTHS AND INSECTS
Really? I wondered how the boat scenes were shot. Were the interiors done in the studio? I would think it would've been blazing hot in there with the added heat from the lights
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

There aren't any characters in Agatha Christie's books who are openly referred to as gay or lesbian, although A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED has a couple easily identifiable as lesbian. One of them figures out something about the first murder and is herself killed.

In one of the later novels, Raymond West, Miss Marple's nephew, recommends an acquaintance to house-sit because the man is "queer" and therefore "house-proud." Raymond (who in that very English way seems wildly gay though apparently not) doubts that dear Aunt Jane has ever heard of queers, though Miss Marple thinks quietly that her nephew might be surprised.

Some of the later adaptations add openly gay characters, interracial relationships, etc. I prefer a re-creation of the actual world of Christie's novels.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: May 14th, 2024, 12:08 pm
Some of the later adaptations add openly gay characters, interracial relationships, etc. I prefer a re-creation of the actual world of Christie's novels.
I WOULD'VE SAID THE SAME UP UNTIL I STUMBLED OVER THIS CHARMING FRENCH REIMAGINING OF SOME OF CHRISTIE'S WORKS FRAMED AS A 70S COP DRAMA:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: May 14th, 2024, 11:06 am
Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 10:04 am IT'S also interesting to view the film now that I know that EVERY SINGLE SHOT ON THE BOAT that takes place in the nighttime was done ON A SOUNDSTAGE IN ENGLAND!

Really? I wondered how the boat scenes were shot. Were the interiors done in the studio? I would think it would've been blazing hot in there with the added heat from the lights
YEAH, SEVERAL PAGES BACK (OOPS, CAPS LOCK) i posted a featurette about the making of DEATH ON THE NILE and my mind was blown when it was revealed that they built a TO SCALE REPLICA ON A SOUNDSTAGE AT SHEPPERTON STUDIOS complete with a false rock riverbed and gallons of water!!!!!!!

i think all the daytime scenes are legit done in EGYPT, BUT I THINK almost all the interiors and ALL THE NIGHT SCENES were done on a SET IN ENGLAND!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HIBI WROTE:
I've seen the PBS Mystery version and it's different than the movie version. I'm not sure which one is closer to the book. The PBS version has 2 other characters: a gay thief and his mom, that weren't in the film version. The ending is a bit different too. The Maggie Smith character leaves with some guy (I forget who it was now, it wasn't the radical) and doesn't stay with Mrs. Schulyer, who is a bit different than in the film. Angela's daughter doesn't take up with the radical either, IIRC.

I'VE SEEN IT and it's really good, although ELLIOT GOULD SUCKS in it, I enjoyed the various liberties they took with MISS OTTERBOURNE and THE RADICAL/LORD DALISH and DR BESSNER (who was actually kinda cute if i recall)

it does hue A LOT closer to the novel though.

they make BRILLIANT USE of an old RAY NOBLE SONG called LOVE IS THE SWEETEST THING
at the start and finish of the story.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: May 14th, 2024, 10:54 am
Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 8:09 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 13th, 2024, 3:36 pm That's Great American Family. It's crazy how many ads they have during murder She Wrote as well.
it's also crazy how SERIOUSLY they take CHRISTMAS MOVIES, in (checks calendar) MAY.

(like, they don't even have the CHRISTMAS IN JULY "excuse")
As if Hallmark wasn't bad enough....
Great American Family is like a copycat to Hallmark.
They even snagged Candace Cameron Bure from Hallmark.
I have a deal from Xfinity, so to speak, that lets me have Peacock with ads for free, as it used to be.
I will need that when Hallmark Mystery and GAF go All-Christmas-All-The-Time.
I don't watch Hallmark Channel as I've had enough of The Golden Girls for a while.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

kingrat wrote: May 12th, 2024, 11:33 am Speaking of Dracula: the first ten minutes of Kevin Spacey's performance as Hickey in The Iceman Cometh are available on YouTube. This is simply some of the best acting I have ever seen.
Funny how "The Iceman Cometh" sounds like an episode from "Batman."
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 12:34 pm
Hibi wrote: May 14th, 2024, 11:06 am

YEAH, SEVERAL PAGES BACK (OOPS, CAPS LOCK) i posted a featurette about the making of DEATH ON THE NILE and my mind was blown when it was revealed that they built a TO SCALE REPLICA ON A SOUNDSTAGE AT SHEPPERTON STUDIOS complete with a false rock riverbed and gallons of water!!!!!!!

i think all the daytime scenes are legit done in EGYPT, BUT I THINK almost all the interiors and ALL THE NIGHT SCENES were done on a SET IN ENGLAND!
Yeah, that makes sense. I couldn't imagine filming those interior scenes in that heat!