I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:19 am also, I hate to speculate, but FANTASTIC AS SHE IS, I get the sense the role came very naturally to LANSBURY and she had A BLAST doing it- the 1970s were kind of the beginning of the whole "you need to suffer and be miserable and lose or gain 60 pounds in order to get a nomination" trend
Yes, probably true. I'm not sure who else was up that year. I was surprised at the time she didn't get one (nomination). Yes, it's broad and over the top, but just what the role called for.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

it should be though! it's a lovely name.

Yes, I like it too. A fancier version of Rose or Rosy.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

What I think of as "old lady names"--names that no woman under 60 had when I was growing up--are back in fashion. Hannah, Emma, Sophie, Eliza, Amelia--a friend has high school students with these names. I know people who have named their little girls Mabel and Millie. Rosalie is much worthier of revival than any of these. If Hannah and Emma are now considered chic, is there hope for Bertha and Gertrude?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: May 15th, 2024, 10:18 am
Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:19 am also, I hate to speculate, but FANTASTIC AS SHE IS, I get the sense the role came very naturally to LANSBURY and she had A BLAST doing it- the 1970s were kind of the beginning of the whole "you need to suffer and be miserable and lose or gain 60 pounds in order to get a nomination" trend
Yes, probably true. I'm not sure who else was up that year. I was surprised at the time she didn't get one (nomination). Yes, it's broad and over the top, but just what the role called for.
absolutely.
GOD, can you imagine GLENDA JACKSON in the part, all DOUR and HUMORLESS?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ONE OTHER FUN THING they could have done in the disembarking scene at the end of DEATH ON THE NILE would have been to have POIROT and RACE inform ROSALIE OTTERBOURNE that she has AN AIRTIGHT WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM against THE ESTATE OF SIMON DOYLE which could well result in her becoming the prime beneficiary of THE RIDGEWAY FORTUNE, and at that moment, JON FINCH'S eyes turn to DOLLAR SIGNS and a brief refrain of "WE'RE IN THE MONEY!" starts to play on the soundtrack as they walk down the gangplank.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:00 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:49 am CNN's How It Really Happened: Oscar Pistorious

"My lady, it was an accident"

Sure.
Right.
Four "accidental" gunshots . . .
It could be even more outrageous. It could have been like that notorious 1980 murder case involving the Lizzie Borden of the 20th century who gave another woman 40 whacks with an axe.... and was then acquitted on self-defense. The case was so shocking that they've filmed it three times: a fictionalized version with Barbara Hershey that was in a TV movie in 1990 (a graphic one at that; it holds an R rating despite being first aired on CBS), and two recent online miniseries, one on hulu, the other on HBO Max.

Candy Montgomery! And I chillingly remember that tv movie with Hershey, I think it was called A Murder in Texas or something like that. They hypnotize her to get a defense of "dissociation" due to a traumatic incident in childhood.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 15th, 2024, 10:28 am What I think of as "old lady names"--names that no woman under 60 had when I was growing up--are back in fashion. Hannah, Emma, Sophie, Eliza, Amelia--a friend has high school students with these names. I know people who have named their little girls Mabel and Millie. Rosalie is much worthier of revival than any of these. If Hannah and Emma are now considered chic, is there hope for Bertha and Gertrude?
I draw the line at Bertha and Gertrude, (Agnes too!) LOL. I did have an aunt Gertie. She was German so it made sense, and Aunt Agnes too.
Last edited by Hibi on May 15th, 2024, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 10:28 am
Hibi wrote: May 15th, 2024, 10:18 am
absolutely.
GOD, can you imagine GLENDA JACKSON in the part, all DOUR and HUMORLESS?
NO! (LOL).
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Rosalie is remembered on QVC as the infamous foul-mouthed caller who could be heard over the phone yelling "Get the f*ck away, I'm talking to Leah Williams!!"

Unflappable host Leah just laughed and told us "Some people are so passionate about what we're selling"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I looked up Rosalie and it seems to have had a resurgence lately due to a character in the Twilight series (and no, I'm not making this up!) So, that's nice. There was a Cole Porter 20s musical with that title that was later made into a film with Eleanor Powell in the 30s.

Wow I had not known this (until I researched it) The Broadway 20s musical had a Gershwin score, but when they filmed it in the 30s, it was scrapped and a whole new score (with the same plot) was written by Cole Porter. Weird.
Last edited by Hibi on May 15th, 2024, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 15th, 2024, 11:23 am Rosalie is remembered on QVC as the infamous foul-mouthed caller who could be heard over the phone yelling "Get the f*ck away, I'm talking to Leah Williams!!"

Unflappable host Leah just laughed and told us "Some people are so passionate about what we're selling"
LMREO!!!!!!!!!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ROSALIE
"My mother is SALOME OTTERBOURNE, the novelist"

JACKIE
{drunkenly]
"SALOME?!? Didn't she have some fella's head cut off?"

ROSALIE
[PANICS VISIBLY]
"WHO TOLD YOU?! WE BURIED THAT BODY IN LUCERNE!"
[realizes what she means]
"Oh...you mean from The Bible?"
[laughs nervously, glances to side]
Yes, yes of course...
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 15th, 2024, 11:11 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:00 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:39 pm

Right.
Four "accidental" gunshots . . .
It could be even more outrageous. It could have been like that notorious 1980 murder case involving the Lizzie Borden of the 20th century who gave another woman 40 whacks with an axe.... and was then acquitted on self-defense. The case was so shocking that they've filmed it three times: a fictionalized version with Barbara Hershey that was in a TV movie in 1990 (a graphic one at that; it holds an R rating despite being first aired on CBS), and two recent online miniseries, one on hulu, the other on HBO Max.

Candy Montgomery! And I chillingly remember that tv movie with Hershey, I think it was called A Murder in Texas or something like that. They hypnotize her to get a defense of "dissociation" due to a traumatic incident in childhood.
It was called A Killing in a Small Town, and yes, Barbara Hershey win the Emmy for it that year, so she must have chilled and scared a lot of voters in the part.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Edna is another name that should stay in the past. (And I had an aunt named that as well!)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: May 15th, 2024, 4:47 pm Edna is another name that should stay in the past. (And I had an aunt named that as well!)
As should Eunice and Bertha and Ethel and Alma and Velma (although we once had a neighbor, now passed on, named Velma and she was a wonderful neighbor)