Lubitsch Alert

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Lubitsch Alert

Post by moira finnie »

Would you like to share an opinion on these upcoming Ernst Lubitsch movies?

Sure, we all know the phrase "the Lubitsch touch" connoting a certain nuanced, worldly understanding about how human beings live a civilized life, evident on screen from The Oyster Princess to Cluny Brown.
The small European man with the cigar found a way to reinvent reality and has left us a glimpse of a lost world that seems far more grown up yet playful than our workaday world . We probably think of those films seen through the amused and artful lenses of his most enjoyable work as light-hearted. Yet, just as there is an awareness of an often dour, even tragic reality just off screen in his movies, our amusement may stop us from considering that his work is only superficial if you'd like it so.

While I'm not crazy about all of the director's movies, (I wish that TCM would give Shop Around the Corner a well-deserved rest), I'm interested in everything he worked on and am often really entertained by it too--especially when he shifts the focus away from the central figures and generously allows the Charlie Ruggles, Robert Griegs, Sig Rumanns and Edward Everett Horton's of the world their moment in the spotlight.

One of the oddest movies of Lubitsch's career is on this Sunday on TCM. Broken Lullaby (1932) (aka The Man I Killed) stars Phillips Holmes, Lionel Barrymore and Nancy Carroll. The story concerns a WWI veteran trying to make amends for causing the death of another in the war.

While Lubitsch biographer Scott Eyman didn't care for this film at all when I asked him about it, another writer and a contemporary of Lubitsch, Robert E. Sherwood, described it as "The best talking picture that has yet been seen and heard.” From most reports, it was not a success with the public in 1932. They probably didn't want to be reminded of painful recent history, since audiences already had their hands full of troubles just then. But aren't you curious?
You be the judge. Here's a list of upcoming Lubitsch films on TCM. I'm still hoping that Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife (1938) and Angel (1937) show up on the schedule soon as well.
(All times listed are Eastern Daylight Time).

Broken Lullaby (1932)
Apr 26, 8:00PM

Ninotchka (1939)
Jun 23, 10:00PM
Jul 3, 1:30AM

The Shop Around The Corner
Jun 23, 8:00PM

The Student Prince In Old Heidelberg: sublime
Jun 24, 2:00AM

The Merry Widow (1934): bliss, especially when Edward Everett Horton is on screen.
Jun 24, 12:00AM

That Uncertain Feeling (1941)
Jun 24 4:00AM

A Royal Scandal (1945): Completed by Otto Preminger though Lubitsch has producer credit. If, like me, you find Tallulah Bankhead pretty interesting even when she is not at her best, you might get a boot out of this one.
Jun 23, 1:15PM
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Re: Lubitsch Alert

Post by MissGoddess »

Lubie's my third favorite director of all time, and I've never seen A ROYAL SCANDAL
or BROKEN LULLABY, so I will defnitely be watching.

I've always liked ANGEL, which, although humorous, is also one of his more low key
efforts and was disliked by many. I have not seen it in years, so I wonder how I
would view it today. I wish it would turn up on TCM, too.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Broken Lullaby is a very good film, quite dark for a Lubitsch but with light touches. I can't say I have a favorite, perhaps Shop Around The Corner but I've only seen it once. He's one of my favorite directors.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Broken Lullaby is a must-see, even if Scott Eyman is rather rude towards it in his book. being a huge Lubitsch fan, I would recommend all the films mentioned, except That Uncertain Feeling which felt like a failure to me when I saw it (years ago). As for A Royal Scandal, which I haven't seen, I suspect it's more 'Preminger' than Lubitschian like That Lady in Ermine which was quite ponderous in my memory.
Last edited by Ann Harding on April 25th, 2009, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for these recommendations and comments. I rather like taking AnnH's "failure" comments and seeing if I see what she does, or else seeing if I can build a good counterargument. I am really looking forward to the day when we can Upload/Download ourselves on the Internet, teleporting us to coffeeshops for these post film debates.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ollie wrote:Thanks for these recommendations and comments. I rather like taking AnnH's "failure" comments and seeing if I see what she does, or else seeing if I can build a good counterargument. I am really looking forward to the day when we can Upload/Download ourselves on the Internet, teleporting us to coffeeshops for these post film debates.

Remember now, CineMaven will be uploading to you fully armed and dangerous! :P :P
(that's a joke peeps, no worried, the Mave is a sweet soul.)

I disliked THAT UNCERTAIN FEELING when I first saw it ages ago, mainly
becuase Burgess Meredith irritated me. Now I can see he is meant to
be irritating and I now find "Phooey!" one of my favorite exclamations. :D
Melvyn Douglas is the one I still find leaden in his role. Cary Grant would
have been a dream---imagine, Cary in a Lubitsch film! heaven.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Cary Grant in a Lubitsch film, I wonder why it never happened. He made deft comedians out of actors not as well known for it, I really like Gary Cooper and I never knew he could be so good in romantic comedy.

At least Lubitsch got Maurice Chevalier, I adore Maurice Chevailer, he's so good in Lubitsch movies.

Cluny Brown is a film I haven't managed to see, is it as highly regarded as his other movies?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Cary Grant in a Lubitsch film, I wonder why it never happened. He made deft comedians out of actors not as well known for it, I really like Gary Cooper and I never knew he could be so good in romantic comedy.

It's marvelous how many performers slipped back-and-forth between genres
back then. Why Cary didn't work with Lubie, especially whenever he was at
Paramount, I don't know. Timing, in all liklihood. Just one of those things.

At least Lubitsch got Maurice Chevalier, I adore Maurice Chevailer, he's so good in Lubitsch movies.

Cluny Brown is a film I haven't managed to see, is it as highly regarded as his other movies?

OK, now you are talking!! CLUNY BROWN is the fastest rising favorite on my
list of Lubie films. I absolutely adore this film and would not be surprised
if it become my very favorite by him. I think Charles Boyer is nothing
less than wonderful and this is my favorite Jennifer Jones role. Both of
these people are so GLORIOUSLY "out of synch" with the whole world going
to pieces around them, and the shine like diamonds in the staid, convention
bound world of English aristocarcy. The deft way Lubitsch pokes a little fun at
thecalsses, including the ultra snobby servant class, is with the assurance of a
seasoned master at understanding human nature. Yet, he doesn't really draw
blood. That's the thing that separates my favorite comedy directors and stars,
they can be as satircal as a razor without being poisonous. Enjoy it, CCFan,
I hope that you do.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I apologize for the typos in my last post, but I keep having problems
with this new format for posting---it seems like after I reach a certain
length it won't continue scrolling down so I can keep typing. It's
the weirdes thing. And it makes it very difficult to edit longer posts.

I know, I know, I should just write shorter posts. :P
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

You don't need to write shorter posts.

Now I must watch Cluny Brown.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Lubie's my third favorite director of all time, and I've never seen A ROYAL SCANDAL or BROKEN LULLABY, so I will defnitely be watching. I've always liked ANGEL, which, although humorous, is also one of his more low key
efforts and was disliked by many. I have not seen it in years, so I wonder how I
would view it today. I wish it would turn up on TCM, too.
I know that John Ford is Numero Uno on the Miss G. hit parade, but who occupies the second throne, April? A Royal Scandal is pretty, um, heavy-handed, shall we say, though seeing Tallulah in high dudgeon is pretty interesting.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Broken Lullaby is a very good film, quite dark for a Lubitsch but with light touches. I can't say I have a favorite, perhaps Shop Around The Corner but I've only seen it once. He's one of my favorite directors.
Thanks so much for the recommendation, Alison. I used to like Shop Around the Corner and am willing to like it again, but TCM runs it-oh, at least twice a month, seemingly, so I need to avoid it regularly to keep my affection for the movie.
Ann Harding wrote:Broken Lullaby is a must-see, even if Scott Eyman is rather rude towards it in his book. being a huge Lubitsch fan, I would recommend all the films mentioned, except That Uncertain Feeling which felt like a failure to me when I saw it (years ago). As for A Royal Scandal, which I haven't seen, I suspect it's more 'Preminger' than Lubitschian like That Lady in Ermine which was quite ponderous in my memory.
Ann, I'm with you on That Uncertain Feeling. I've tried to like it several times, but still no luck. I don't really think that Burgess Meredith was suited to comedy, though perhaps others will vehemently disagree. I wouldn't characterize Scott Eyman's response to Broken Lullaby as "rude", though perhaps "visceral disappointment" might describe it. Btw, Mr. E. mentioned that of all the people he's written so much about over the years, the one person he missed once he left the topic, was Ernst Lubitsch.
Ollie wrote:Thanks for these recommendations and comments. I rather like taking AnnH's "failure" comments and seeing if I see what she does, or else seeing if I can build a good counterargument.
Ollie, I LOVE noble failures of all kinds too and can usually find something to like in them.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Cary Grant in a Lubitsch film, I wonder why it never happened. He made deft comedians out of actors not as well known for it, I really like Gary Cooper and I never knew he could be so good in romantic comedy. At least Lubitsch got Maurice Chevalier, I adore Maurice Chevailer, he's so good in Lubitsch movies. Cluny Brown is a film I haven't managed to see, is it as highly regarded as his other movies?
Perhaps it was timing with Cary Grant, alas. I don't adore Maurice Chevalier, but he is at his best in Lubitsch and in Rouben Mamoulian's Love Me Tonight (1932). In his later movies in English, I'm not so keen on his overly cute act. I would like to see him in more French films when he was younger someday.

Cluny Brown is absolutely one of the best films by Lubitsch, and all the actors--Charles Boyer, Jennifer Jones and Helen Walker were all splendid too. The only trouble with it is that if you see it, Alison, it make you want to read all of Margery Sharp's books again!

Thanks so much for all your intriguing responses. Now you've made me more determined to view Broken Lullaby and the other Lubitsch movies again.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote: I know that John Ford is Numero Uno on the Miss G. hit parade, but who occupies the second throne, April?

[youtube][/youtube]

:D
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Well I adore your two and three but have never found much time to watch many Ford films. I guess that's another thread another time :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Well I adore your two and three but have never found much time to watch many Ford films. I guess that's another thread another time :wink:

Give him a chance, you may be surprised. I was.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

What a Treat, a Lubitsch tribute!

"A Royal Scandal" (1945) is an amusing film. Tallulah's always priceless and it's one of the few opportunities to watch William Eythe.

I must agree with what Christine, Moira and April in relation with "That Uncertain Feeling" (1941). I had great expectations about this film and I was totally let down! I bought it on VHS years ago and I watched it twice, but I could not like it, in spite of the fact that I tried really hard! I agree that Burgess Meredith is annoying....but also the comedy seemed forced to me, terribly unfunny. A total failure.

On the other hand I loved "Broken Lullaby" (1932)with Nancy Carroll in her best role -or at least the best I've seen her in- and Phillips Holmes' best performance aside the ones he gave in "Night Court" (1932) and "An American Tragedy" (1931).

I'd love to see "Cluny Brown"!! :roll: