The Shop Around the Corner

Discussion of programming on TCM.
intothenitrate

Re: The Shop Around the Corner

Post by intothenitrate »

This movie certainly isn't one of my all time favorites, but I LOVE Joseph Schildkraut as the slightly foppish, obsequious clerk. He's definitely caught up in the sparkle of being in a Lubitsch production, and plays everything to the hilt.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Shop Around the Corner is in my top five James Stewart movies (and top five Lubitsch movies). I'm so glad that Jimmy and Lubitsch worked together, they made a marvelous pair and somehow Lubitsch made this quintessentially American actor seem entirely believable as a young Hungarian shop clerk. The scene where Klara (Maureen Sullavan) finally realizes that Alfred (Stewart) is her Dear Friend pen pal is so ineffably poignant and touching -- the happiness overflows the screen to the point it makes me want to cry.

Every element in this film works perfectly for me.

The less said of You've Got Mail, the better, and I'm a Tom Hanks fan.

In The Good Old Summertime is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, and I especially appreciate the presence of Buster Keaton (and his staging of the Judy-meets-Van-Johnson-bike-scene) but it's no Shop Around the Corner.

And I *adore* the musical, She Loves Me. I consider it the finest score by Bock and Harnick, and that's saying something, considering their other musicals include Fiddler on the Roof and Fiorello. I could listen to that score forever, especially the original cast album with Barbara Cook. I was very happy I was able to see the 1993 Broadway revival, with Judy Kuhn as Amalia (Klara in the movie).

I once read a blog post by someone analyzing the differences in The Shop Around the Corner and You've Got Mail, specifically with reference to the scene where Alfred goes to the restaurant to meet his "Dear Friend," looks in the window and sees it's Klara. The superiority of the Lubitsch version was quite evident. You've Got Mail (directed by Nora Ephron) was mostly just a bunch of talking head shots.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't know Buster developed the bicycle-hat -bird scene. No wonder I liked it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'd love to know which others you've seen, kingrat?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't think Ninotchka is his best and I think Melvyn Douglas is competent but what could have been done had that role been played by Maurice Chevalier. I really like Design For Living, I think it's utterly charming, Trouble in Paradise is a marvellous film with brilliant casting and his films with Chevalier, well I think they were made to make movies together.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I recently saw Design for Living and enjoyed it immensely. I was surprised since it's considered a lesser film.

I go through phases with Ninotchka - some of it is wonderful, some of it is just OK. Melvyn is good with the lines, but as you say, lacking in sex appeal - he has the rest of it down pretty well though. Another film I think I don't like, but when confronted I will sit and laugh all the way through. The only scene I don't like is the famous Garbo Laughs scene.

Lubitsch is deceptive. He woos you with simple stories told in the most artful way. If you try too hard with him, you will be sadly disappointed. His films are fairy tales for worldly and world weary adults, totally ironic, but still fairy tales. Confections, meringues filled with nothing but air, sugar and wit. Flavorings include a hint of European loss, caprice, and joy.

My favorite Lubitsch films are

The Merry Widow
The Doll
Cluny Brown
Trouble in Paradise
Shop Around the Corner
Design for Living
The Marriage Circle
The Oyster Princess
I Don't Want to be a Man