Private Screenings

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Private Screenings

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

The recent passing of Deborah Kerr caused me regret that TCM hadn't snagged her for a Private Screenings. With a sense of urgency regarding our diminshing personal resources, I wondering who else the network can sit in front their cameras before it's too late? As a reference, here's a list of those who have shared with Robert Osborne so far:

June Allyson (1996)
Lauren Bacall (2005)
Leslie Caron (1999)
Tony Curtis (1999)
Stanley Donan (2005)
Jane Fonda (2007)
James Garner (2001)
Charlton Heston (1998)
Darryl Hickman (2006)
Betty Hutton (2000)
Norman Jewison (2007)
Margaret O'Brien (2006)
Angela Lansbury (2006)
Jack Lemmon (1998)
Sidney Lumet (2005)
Shirley MacLaine (2003)
Walter Matthau (1998)
Ann Miller (1997)
Robert Mitchum (1996)
Dickie Moore (2006)
Patricia Neal (2004)
Jane Powell (1995)
Anthony Quinn (1999)
Debbie Reynolds (2002)
Mickey Rooney (1997)
Jane Russell (1996)
Rod Steiger (2000)
Esther Williams (1996)
Jane Withers (2006)
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on October 18th, 2007, 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

During an insomnia attack recently I saw the Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon P.S. Not a lot of info but it was just fun to watch. Two old friends having a chat. It's hard to imagine both are gone.

I've enjoyed several others as well, Patricia O'Neal, Betty Hutton, Lauren Bacall, James Garner, Stanley Donen. I especially enjoyed the "Child Stars" edition. I was surprised at some of the things they found out during their chat. Even enjoyed Norman Jewison last month.

Hopefully they will get more of them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Re: Private Screenings

Post by feaito »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:The recent passing of Deborah Kerr caused me regret that TCM hadn't snagged her for a Private Screenings. With a sense of urgency regarding our diminshing personal resources, I wondering who else the network can sit in front their cameras before it's too late?
Definitely Olivia de Havilland, Luise Rainer and Joan Fontaine. They are living legends from the Golden Era.

I'd also like to see Ms. Anita Page, but I'm not sure about her current condition.

Other good choices would be Patricia Morison and the fantastic Celeste Holm.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I wonder if there are any 'children' who would be willing to do a sit down with RO and relate stories that Mom or Dad related especially in relation to co-stars, directors, make-up men, etc.

We see Carrie Fisher each week, and occasionally she tells a little vignette and during Jane Fonda's PS we learned a little about Barbara and Henry. There are some who have tried to break into movies but didn't make it, such as Tyrone Powers' son (Cocoon). I would love to hear from a lot of offspring such as Tony Peck. Even Clark Gabels' son, although he never met his father, might have some stories he could share.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I've seen a few PS shows as well. I missed the Norman Jewison one but that's ok since i've seen documentaries and in depth reporting on him to know most of the stuff.

I really enjoyed the Child Stars edition and the Anthony Quinn edition a lot. The child stars really gave great insight into the way the studios treated them and the whole caste system regarding some child stars as it relates to Shirley Temple.

I do have a question tho, has anyone seen the Robert Mitchum edition? I've heard horror stories about people interviewing him and how he loathed to give any real detail in his interviews. Larry King has said that Mitchum was the worst guest he ever had and if "The King" couldn't get anything out of Mitchum then who can?!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen the Dick Cavett interview from 1973(?). While Cavett probably had to ask more questions than usual it wasn't exactly pulling teeth. He seemed rather up front and I thought he did ok.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

There are still quite a few stars around to interview althouge some may be ailing while others may not want to participate, including:

Gloria Stuart 97, Rhonda Fleming 84, Ann Blyth 79, Vera Miles 78, Farley Granger 84, Leslie Caron 76, Arlene Dahl 79, Eleanor Parker 84, June Lockhart 81, Louis Jourdan 87, Maureen O'Hara 87, Gloria DeHaven 82, Van Johnson 91, Lizabeth Scott 85, Laraine Day 90, Don Murray 78, Kathryn Grayson 85, Marsha Hunt 90, Jackie Cooper 85, Cyd Charisse 86, Shirley Temple 79, Ernest Borgnine 90, Jennifer Jones 88, Julie (Julia) Adams 81, Glynis Johns 84, James Whitmore 86, Angie Dickinson 76, Anita Ekberg 76, Julie Andrews 72, Richard Widmark 92, Betty Garrett 88, Stuart Whitman 79, Joanne Woodward 77, Paul Newman 82, etc.

Here's hoping.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Don't forget Dorothy Janis.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

JohnM said:

"Although, her book will be all music hall and Broadway stuff, not films"

Don't be too sure of that John.

Mary Poppins, and even earlier in 1957 R&H Cinderella is what introduced Julie to America. As much as I love musicals, I had no idea who Julie Andrews was when I heard the fatal groanings of Audrey Hepburn playing Eliza rather than Julie - Julie Who? Not living anywhere near NY, I got my musical information from the movies not Broadway. The fact is I ignored Broadway entirely not realizing it existed as a sounding board for the movies. Broadway went through its' death throes when movies learned to talk, and especially when color became available, just as the movies did when TV appeared. But lets' face it. To coin a phrase 'what happens in NY stays in NY' . Not all that many people have been to a live NY musical performance. A lot have, but a lot more haven't, because NY doesn't move.

If anyone gave me a free ride in the next month to NY and included a show, I would probably turn it down anyway. If I ever got to see a live Broadway show, it would be a fun frolic, not any kind of Sweeny Todd, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, etc. I would want light and airy, not murder and mayhem.

But back to Julie. I think she appreciates her movie experience more than you realize. As I said, it introduced her to a lot of people across the U.S. and I believe that was a big part of the near-failure of Mary Poppins. It was an unknown in the part, so until word of mouth started spreading, it was kind of a drag the first few weeks after release. You know yourself, after MP she was everywhere - movies, TV, and personal appearances. MP did that for her.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Johnm:

You understood me perfectly, I meant exactly what you said. The problem is I didn't realize you knew exactly what you were saying about her book. I've seen Julie on a lot of talk shows, and most of the time she talks about her movies more than Broadway.

As to her early years, the fact that I am such a musical fan, I did know vaguely who she was, though not to the extent that I knew Doris Day for instance, I was being the devils' advocate. If it hadn't been for a chance visit to the record store the day MFL was released, I would NOT have known who she was for a long time after that. I did purchase the album with my babysitting money though. You, being a man who likes musicals is fairly unusual, it's kind of like pulling teeth to get most guys to watch them let alone admit they like them. Just as I always preferred Julie over Mary Martin in the Sound of Music, as a rule I like the original Broadway cast, but I also preferred Mitzy Gaynor in South Pacific over MM.

Things are so widespread now, but you have to remember in the 50's and 60's we didn't hear about Broadway like today. We didn't even have the award show televised - all we had was the oscars and Miss America.

I hope I've made myself more clear.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry JohnM: I certainly didn't mean that musicals are a girl, or gay thing, but it is true that of ALL the men and boys I've known in my 62 years, I have NEVER known one who LIKES musicals.

As for the family seeing a musical - Ha - even though my Dad was a musician, he rarely sat still for the full length of a musical. In our house, driving to the local ice cream parlor and having a single dip cone on a Sunday evening was a rare once a summer treat. Going to the show was going to the drive in on $1.00 a car night, and sneaking in our own pop-corn and soda so see a live play . . . unheard of.

Neither of my husbands would watch a musical, and both of my sons act like it would be a mortal sin. One son likes them, but would never admit it. Maybe things are different now, I truly hope so, but at one time musicals were actually only for girls and gays - sad to say, but true, at least in my circles.

Maybe for different parts of the country things were not that way. But remember, my brother, and later my sons, had fathers who tossed the football from the time the kids were old enough to catch it, and told to be a little man when they fell down. Just as you have to set your mind to a certain time and place for classic films, you have to do the same for traveling down memory lane. I had quite a singing voice but my parents would never encourage me to develop it because the arts were not the way to make a living for a 'nice' girl. :roll:

Anne
Anne