Madeleine (1950)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Madeleine (1950)

Post by moira finnie »

I thought that I'd post a notice here alerting a few others to the broadcast of David Lean's little seen black and white tale, Madeleine (1950) on TCM tomorrow, Mon., Oct. 29th at 10:30am ET. Here's some of what I wrote back in March when I first caught this terrific, small-scale movie for the first time:

"What a corker of a story! The English, and David Lean in particular, in the days when he filmed such b & w beauties, really knew how to weave a tale: propriety, sacred and profane love, ironclad paternalism, class and national distinctions, and oodles of Victorian atmosphere, along with the intriguingly contradictory chilliness and passion of Ann Todd blended beautifully in this one!

If you love courtroom dramas as well as Scottish settings, and marvelous acting that the English can pull off so well, from the likes of Ivan Desny, Norman Wooland, Andre Morrell, Barry Jones and Elisabeth Sellars, you might enjoy this adaptation of a true story about an 1857 woman accused of murdering her lover."

I hope that others will post their observations about the movie too.