The White Cliffs of Dover

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The White Cliffs of Dover

Post by mrsl »

For those new discoverers of Irene Dunne this past month, set your timers for The White Cliffs of Dover showing late, late tonight. Irene goes from age 18 to about 45 in this one and does a good job of it. This is my favorite Dunne performance, since I can't really warm up to her as a musical actress and teaming with Charles Boyer in Love Affair immediately takes points off as far as I'm concerned although I know she had nothing to do with it. But Cary and Deborah are just too, too for me in that one anyway. I like Irene in Penny Serenade too, but I think that's more Cary than Irene. Also, I have yet to find a female lead I like in Cimmaron, since I don't like either one so far.

But I digress. Irene is cute as a young American girl on a trip to England with her father around the turn of the last century, who falls in love with a Duke or something, then has Roddy McDonnell as a son, who turns into Peter Lawford. Her best scenes are when she is defending America from the English snippits she meets, and when she's describing America's beliefs. But in all, she gives a good performance and you really can't help liking her, even if you're like me who likes her, but isn't crazy about her. Anyway, set your timers if you can, you WILL be glad you did.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************