The Paradine Case (1947)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Paradine Case (1947)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's been at least 8 years since TCM showed this out of print Hitch film. While a failure commercially, The Paradine Case (showing this Sunday) has many dark elements that Hitch would later continue in Vertigo (1958) and other obsessive works. There's also some fine actors and acting here as well (including a sadistic Charles Laughton as a judge). A very different film from the Master of Suspense.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Hmm. I honestly can't remember where I saw it, but I saw it on US TV in 2005, and I pretty much only ever watch TCM, Sundance or IFC.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It might have reshowed at that time. I'm certainly not infallible. I do remember TCM licensing all the Hitch films and running them all month in the late 90's. That was where I acquired my copy.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on January 5th, 2008, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I got this one as a Birthday present some years ago (the Anchor Bay DVD release) and I remember it was highly enjoyable and not the dud some critics have said. Alida Valli is most alluring here and what a cast!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I believe it was in the late 1970's when one of the American television networks played a series of movies produced by David O. Selznick. Paradine Case was one of those featured. I remember the serene beauty of Alida Valli in this film (and that my father referred to her merely as "Valli") and wasn't Louis Jourdan also in it? He seemed so young (even from my childhood perspective) as I was used to his work circa 1960. Otherwise, the flick seemed slow going; but maybe that was because of my youth...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moraldo, yep it's a very slow moving film and it has a lot of flaws, but there are some interesting things in the film. The sets are beautiful, and the camerawork and lighting are very interesting. I also love the performances. Valli has an unearthly quality and her impassive face reminds me of Garbo in Queen Christina (1933). Laughton also has a wonderful role here and is perhaps one of Hitch's most unusual characters.

Hitchcock missed his mark a bit here (some would claim Selznick's influence did indeed ruin the film), but you can see what he was shooting for, and how it influenced later works.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since this was on smack dab in the middle of my nap time, I may have nodded off a bit, so can someone tell me what was the horrible thing that Ethel did to Laughton that he treated her as he did. Could she possibly have had the gumption to have an affair on him, and if so, why didn't she go with the guy? Anyone would be better than Laughton, even when he's playing a nice guy (rare but. . . ), he still comes across as evil.

What is the consensus on this one? Did anybody watch it? This is another one where I can't put my finger on it, maybe because it's a London court, but I kept getting flashes of Witness for the Prosecution, although the case was not similar.

Mr. Arkadin, you'll have to tell me what elements of Vertigo you see in this movie, I see snatches of Suspicion, and North by Northwest, because although Valli is Dark haired, she exudes the coolness of Fontaine and Eva Marie Saint during emotionally charged moments.

Comments anyone? :?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'm with John on this one; it really is a dreary, dull film. Arkadin makes an important point when he says there are qualities in it that are commendable but overall (for me) it's tedious and unconvincing. Hitchcock was a supreme genius as a filmmaker and even his lesser films bring some little thing or another to the table. It's been a number of years since I last saw it, but frankly I'd be hard-pressed to recall anything about it that I liked. Other than it was shot in black and white.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anne,

The Vertigo link for me here is clearly obsession. Peck's character falls in love with Valli who is not what she seems. His attempt to build a case around her induces him to believe in the ideal woman he wishes her to be, other than the murderess she actually is. He tries to remake her image in his case, just as Scottie tries to physically remake Judy. Both men fail however, because they were attracted to an illusion, not reality.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I may be bucking the consensus here, but I enjoyed The Paradine Case very much. While it's hardly Hitch's best, it was at least a few times better than his next one, Rope. In fact with the possible exception of The Skin Game, Rope is my least favourite Hitch out of the 56 I've seen thus far.

I'm only missing three of his American films, and so far I'd put the Paradine Case above Rope, To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Birds, Topaz and Family Plot.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Rope (1948) actually happens to be my personal favorite of his work. I also like Topaz (1969) as well.

I do agree that The Paradine Case seems to get a bad rap. The film is slow paced and does have flaws, but there are many films Hitchcock made that were much worse. Sometimes I think if it had been made by another filmmaker it would have fared a bit better over time. Being compared to so many of the other great films in the Hitch cannon has obviously hurt it's reputation.