Patterns (1956)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Patterns (1956)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

When climbing the corporate ladder, it’s a common belief that it’s not where your feet are on the rungs, but who they’re on. Rod Serling’s Patterns (showing early 3/9) deals with many of these ideas about footprints in the corporate world, yet it’s amazingly balanced in its views of big business and how it is nourished and fed. While films such as Wall Street (1987) paint broad strokes of unfeeling capitalistic greed, Serling’s ode to capitalism is much more complex, even though it was first written as a TV drama over 30 years beforehand.

Hired by Walter Ramsey (Everett Sloane) at the executive level, Fred Staples (Van Heflin) knows nothing about head games or power plays. That’s about to change as Fred realizes that he’s been brought in so that 40-year man Bill Briggs (Ed Begley) can be tossed like yesterday’s newspaper. A compassionate man, Briggs’ ideals are unworkable in modern business. His refusal to resign enrages Ramsey and creates a test of wills, which Briggs literally hasn’t the stomach (or heart) for.

Patterns was first developed as a television drama, but soon became a film with the same actors repeating their roles with the exception of Richard Kiley who was replaced by Van Heflin to bring a bigger name to the project. Everett Sloane won an Emmy for his TV performance and Rod Serling also won for Best Written Teleplay.

Perhaps the most amazing aspect when one looks at this film, is how every character's point of view is understood and given equal weight. Unlike The Apartment (1960), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967) or the aforementioned Wall Street, there are no shady characters or dishonest dealings here. Ramsey may be an uncompromising businessman, but there’s nothing crooked about him—he simply wants what’s best for the company. Briggs is a kind man, but good intentions don’t always create results (as his failure with his own son proves), and if his sympathy hurts the company, he renders it unable to aid the very people he cares so much about. Fred understands Briggs, but he also knows that you can’t do business with a handshake anymore. He also realizes that he too is ambitious (“I want the job.”), perhaps for the first time in his life.

Business is always personal—even when it’s impersonal, and has a life of its own. As Ramsey states: “It’s nobody’s business! It belongs to us right now because we’re producing, but in the future it belongs to whoever has the brains, the nerve, and the skill to take it away from us.” In this light, we realize success has no master -- a concept that is liberating, yet daunting.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on January 10th, 2011, 9:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I saw the movie last night and I have to say it was gripping from beginning to end. I'm really enamored with Van Heflin, the guy gives a great performance in every movie i've seen him in. In many ways the depiction of how power is earned and given is even more true today then it was in that movie. I really felt sorry for Briggs. I mean here was a guy who was at the company from the very beginning and he's being pushed out because he's too old and outdated. I like how Fred tries to bring up the notion of experience. I mean this is one of the things sorely lacking in business today. Too many people are concerned about climbing up the ladder to success yet if you look at the resumes of some of the higher ups (not the presidents mind you) they have very paltry records.

It seems this movie was displaying what would be the trend to sweep business in the coming decades of bringing in bright young minds who may not have the experience but have the skillset that the older generation doesn't.

Indeed this movie showed a lot of foresight and it's eerie how some of the concepts displayed in said film are very much a part of the corporate culture today.

The only thing missing IMO is a sequel. I would've loved to have seen a movie where Staples and Ramsey really butt heads and Staples wins out or pushed out of the company. Ah well....what might have been eh? :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Van Heflin is always great in whatever he's in. Of course you could also say the same of Begley and Sloane. I love all three of those guys and to have them as a triangle in one film is pretty sweet.

What I like about Patterns is that when you come to the close of the film, there are no good or evil people. Briggs is certainly a sympathetic character, but you feel if he really cared about people as much as he said he did, he wouldn't keep missing time with his son. Ramsey is a hard man, but he's fair. Does he push Briggs too far? Yes, but Fred didn't stop it because he wanted Briggs job. Nobody gets off with a clear conscience in this movie and that's as it should be.
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Patterns (1956)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

This film plays tonight in Prime Time after a two year absence. TCM airings look better than currently available prints, so warm up those recorders.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks very much for the heads up, Ark.

I've always liked this movie, and think it is much more honest than most American movies about the real cost of making a living and getting ahead. I don't think that the three leads, Van Heflin, Everett Sloane and Ed Begley were ever better and it may be one of Rod Serling's best scripts. I think it is a more interesting take on office politics than better remembered movies such as Executive Suite (1954). My only qualm about Patterns is that Van Heflin keeps being described as "a young man" when he is around the same age as Everett Sloane who plays the tycoon who believes that "you can't run a business on thank you notes!" and that the atmosphere of a large corporation cannot be "constantly cathedral-like." Elizabeth Wilson is terrific as Miss Fleming, whose loyalties are divided as the realization that she is regarded as a cipher dawns on her.

Wouldn't it be interesting if this story could be adapted to the present day? Btw, Patterns is in the public domain and a decent copy can be seen here (though not as good as the excellent print shown on TCM the other night):

http://www.archive.org/details/Patterns_1956
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh wow! Thanks! I was all set to watch this one - I've never seen it. I got through the end of Man in the Grey Flannel Suit and the commercials, and RO's introduction and wham! I was asleep before the movie began.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I watched Patterns at the Internet Archive not long ago and enjoyed it. I saw the original teleplay with Richard Kiley years ago and liked better. I liked Kiley better in that role, also there were some changes to the story made for the movie, where I preferred the original. Some of the names were changed, too -- Ed Begley's character was named Andy in the teleplay.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

A powerful film indeed, with first rate actors, Begley, Sloane, and Heflin,Ms Straight & MsWilson, with a terrific script. A film like this could never be mad today. :(
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I found the 1955 teleplay on YouTube, in seven parts, and created a playlist for it, if anyone would like to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 4FB561F4E2