Apr 26 & 27 Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ollie

Apr 26 & 27 Schedule

Post by Ollie »

This weekend, there are a few films I've never heard of or seen, and I'd appreciate your reviews.

SATURDAY, April 26

YANKS AHOY and HERE COMES TROUBLE. I suspect these are more silly fun episodes from this duo, usually occupying the Sgt-Doubleday roles. But HERE COMES TROUBLE puts them in a newspaper? I've enjoyed the previous 4 that I've seen on TCM in the past few weeks, but the picture-transmissions have been problematic each time.

SUNDAY, April 27

THE MATING OF MILLIE (1948). Comedy. Evelyn Keyes, Glenn Ford. Sounds like a comedy I typically enjoy. Undoubtedly Glenn Ford will adopt his exasperated-look face for most of the film, and Evelyn Keyes can give those beautiful eyes a work-out, too.

I've never heard of or seen this one, so any reviews?

HERE COMES THE GIRLS (1953). Bob Hope. Any reviews? I'm unfamiliar with this one.

THE ABEL GANCE FILMS... I'm recording the documentary and the 2 films in at least two different formats. The length of the films (2-4 hours each) will give some interesting results, and I'm hoping to record them on different devices as if that's an assurance of getting at least one useful copy of each.

I'm not familiar with any of these films, only his NAPOLEAN - er, rather, I'm familiar with Coppola's chopped-up version of Gance's Napolean. I certainly hope someone will lop off 40% of THE GODFATHER in the years to come and then claim some "right to do so" like Coppola's done to Gance's film.