THE JOY LUCK CLUB

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

THE JOY LUCK CLUB

Post by mrsl »

For those of you who have not seen this movie, I highly recommend you put a tape in the old VCR or tivo it, or whatever you do.

Not only is it a really good drama to keep your interest, it's also a fine expression of mother-daughter relationships. It also discloses some facts about Asian living that we may not have been aware of. Much of it is dramatic, some is cute, and a lot is sad.

I hope some of you will return here later and discuss it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, Mr. Feng did it again. He talked about how none of the girls could make their relationships work with the Chinese men in their lives, but they did with the Caucasian men later. Apparently he didn't notice that after Lena got ride of Mr. Ice Cream, she ended up with a very nice looking Chinese guy at the party.

Actually each of the family stories would have made an interesting movie in itself. That horrible decision for the mother of the twin girls, that inventive 16 year old in getting out of her marriage with nobody 'losing face'. All the moms losing their sons through one way or another. As I said, they were all rich stories and if built up, could have been good movies, but all together in this one, to make the daughters understand what their mothers did for them makes a fantastic film.

As a sci-fi fan, I recognize many of the actors from various TV shows like Star Trek, TNG, Star Trek Enterprise, Star gate SG1, ER and many others.

Here are a couple of questions I'm interested in responses for:

What did you think of the mother in the drowning scene?

Do you think the 'middle' mothers could have done more to help their daughters from making the major mistakes they did?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Ann--
I have this one on the DVR. Just waiting for a chance to play it...(ie, both kids and husband out of the house, no work to do. Sigh)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
inglis

Post by inglis »

Great movie .I have seen it a few times now and its just as good as the first time . A good one to see for sure.I would like to get this one for my collection.