The Quiet Man

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Quiet Man

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:What year would you say this was set? Anyone think it is at all later than the 1920's?
The story was published in 1933 by Maurice Walsh, but the atmosphere described in the book seems to be more likely the '20s just after The Troubles have ended. You can see the whole, brief story here if you would like to read it, Chris.

Of course, the setting for the movie of The Quiet Man might also be said to lie largely in the timeless imagination of Mr. Ford.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

According to Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford (Lee Server): "the story takes place around 1920 to 1922."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote:According to Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford (Lee Server): "the story takes place around 1920 to 1922."
Scott Eyman, if you want to print the fact. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thank you Moira. I'm going to read that story. The timeless imagination of John Ford may be more to the point.

The weird thing to me is that very little of it looks 1920's. Most of the clothes seem all wrong and Rev. Playfair's boxing days seem further back than 19-- whatever year he doesn't say. (of course I don't know anything about 1920's Irish fashion.)

Not that any of this matters. Just curious. Thanks to the three of you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is really only one car in the movie and that is certainly 1920's. I hadn't thought about the penal colony part but that probably would have confused me more.

I don't think the reverend was wearing gloves but you bring up some excellent points of reference. Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

MissGoddess, in a quiet fashion, raised a pint and wrote:
Scott Eyman, if you want to print the fact.
Ford and fact? Never!

Here's my explanation (and it's a fact!): By my computer desk, I have my film books. The first section is devoted to autobiography, biography and critical analysis of individual directors and actors (and a cinematographer by the name of John Alton). In alphabetical order by the person who is the subject. So, naturally, the "F"s are together. And (you know where this is going, don't you, MissG?), right next to the biography of Ford is a critical analysis of the real "F" director, Samuel Fuller, written by...Lee Server.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith