You Can't Run Away From It

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

You Can't Run Away From It

Post by mrsl »

Every time I see It Happened One Night, I try to remember the name of this movie. I have to make a note of it now.

Actually it's typical of most remakes made in the 40's and 50's. They may not have been as good as the originals, but as a stand alone, they really were good movies. Just as if you had not seen The Women -- The Opposite Sex would probably have impressed you as a cute, simple, little musical. I don't know what it is that those remakes did, or didn't do, but almost all of them are better movies than today's remakes are. Perhaps it's because they follow the exact original movie, even down to the dialog. Today they often change the ending, or the setting, or some other thing that completely detracts from the story.

In King Kong, instead of sticking with finding the ape and bringing it to New York as a side show on Broadway, they had to add all that other stuff about the wild tribe, and all the other strange animals they ran into. Just like War of the Worlds, the people not only had to worry about the martians but all of their friends and neighbors also and who was going nuts. Also why add the kids? What was wrong with just the scientist and the reporter, or whatever she was. Nope, all the CGI has to be played with, like people don't get enough on their game boys or play stations.

Any opinions?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************