Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by JackFavell »

Doris could really pick em. sigh.

O'Neal gives me the willies. ewwww! I guess he was more interesting off screen. If all those other hobbies kept him from making more movies, then I'm glad. Now I can't imagine how I could have ever mistaken sweetheart Leslie Neilsen for him. Must have been the hair.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It was sad news to wake up to today. I never realised he was 84, he seemed so ageless.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Jedi and all the fans of The Empire Strikes Back raise a glass in honor of Irvin Kershner who passed away over the holiday weekend. He (and Gary Kurtz) had a falling out with George Lucas over Empire as the film went over schedule and over budget which for budget conscious Lucas was enough to end friendships that had begun fifteen years earlier in film school. But Kurtz was right to back Kershner (in my opinion) as Empire is the best of the Star Wars from my point of view. The first one (not the one done a few years ago, but the 1977 one) is lots of fun and while Empire is filled with fun, it truly kicked the story up from comic book sci-fi and raised the bar on what sci-fi films could aspire to in the wake of the success of A New Hope.

And Flim-Flam Man may be George C. Scott at his most charming.

From CNN:

Filmmaker Irvin Kershner, who directed the 1980 Star Wars sequel "The Empire Strikes Back," died Saturday in his home in Los Angeles, California, after a three-and-a-half-year battle with lung cancer. He was 87.

In his 40-year career in film and television, he worked with several screen luminaries.

In the 1960s and 70s, he directed Robert Shaw in "The Luck of Ginger Coffey," Sean Connery in "A Fine Madness," George C. Scott in "The Flim-Flam Man," Eva Marie Saint in "Loving," Barbra Streisand in "Up the Sandbox," Richard Harris in "Return of a Man Called Horse," and Faye Dunaway in "Eyes of Laura Mars." He also directed Connery as James Bond in "Never Say Never Again."

In 1969, Kershner teamed up with novelist John Irving for a screen adaptation of his novel "Setting Free the Bears."

In his 1999 memoir titled "My Movie Business," Irving called Kershner his "hero."

"He was a wild man with a non-stop imagination and boundless energy. I just tried to keep up with him, which wasn't easy," Irving wrote, according to Kershner's publicists. "Kershner never sat down. He paced, reciting the entire story, from the opening shot to the end credits, without once referring to the script. Kershner was the real screenwriter. I was just taking dictation."

Kershner's career began with the study of music and art.

He studied at the Settlement Music School in Philadelphia and Temple University's Tyler School of Fine Arts. Then he became a student under the famous painter Hans Hofmann in New York. He moved to Los Angeles and studied photography at the Art Center College of Design.

He began his film career at the University of Southern California's School of Cinema where he taught photography and took cinema courses under Slavko Vorkapich, a montage artist who was also the cinema school dean.

In June 2010, Irvin Kershner received a lifetime achievement award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars trilogies and executive producer of "The Empire Strikes Back," praised Kershner at the time of the award.

"(Kershner's) films have a maturity and a depth of character, and that's just what my middle chapter needed. The Star Wars story has had to evolve in order to stay fresh, and it took a filmmaker like you to make that important step in galaxy-building," Lucas wrote.

Director Francis Ford Coppola, a long-time friend, described Kershner as "indomitable."

"We all enjoyed knowing Kersh, learning from him -- and admired his creative spirit and indomitable will," Coppola said in a statement released by Kershner's publicists. "It was always exciting to talk with him about all aspects of cinema and life."

Actress Barbra Streisand was a friend of nearly 40 years. "He had the most incredible spirit, an exuberance for life. Always working, always thinking, always writing, amazingly gifted and forever curious. We met doing 'Up The Sandbox' in 1972 and remained friends ever since. I loved him," she said in a statement.

"Empire Strikes Back" star Billy Dee Williams described Kershner as "an extraordinary mountain of a man with whom I'm proud to have shared the world of art."

"I bet he's smiling at us right now with that wonderful impish smile," Williams said in a statement.

In later years, Kershner continued to produce and write, while teaching screenwriting at the University of Southern California and lecturing in many countries. He also created a collection of fine-art photographs for exhibition in New York, San Francisco, and Mexico. Some of his work is now a permanent photo exhibit at the newly opened Los Angeles County General Hospital.

"Kersh was a truly gifted, devoted, and generous mentor to all who had the privilege of working with him," said James Ragan, friend, poet, and former director of the USC Professional Writing Program. "His film co-workers, students, and friends alike knew him as a gentleman, a student of film and human history. He loved teaching, whether on a set or in a classroom. He had a sense of humor to match his unwavering commitment to high standards."

In September, Kershner told his son David that "you have to throw yourself into things. There is no second way. Passion gives you energy."

David Kershner said his father never really retired.

"He had a powerful drive to create--whether it be through film, photography, or writing. At the time of his death, he was co-writing a Broadway musical entitled 'Djinn' and working on a documentary about his friend Ray Bradbury. The musical is a fable about tolerance and a deep bond of friendship between a Jewish immigrant and an Arab sheik, set in a Palestinian village prior to the birth of Israel," the son said.

Matthew Robbins, writer, director, and former assistant to Kershner on the film "Loving," said Kershner was known for his enthusiasm, sly sense of humor, and generous criticism.

"To many, he represented the best in what American film making could do with its enviable resources and catholic traditions," Robbins said. "He believed in emotion as the basis for all dramatic storytelling. For him, the worst cinematic crime was flatness, or lack of feeling.

"Few who encountered Kershner either on the set or in the classroom will forget his almost ruthless pursuit of honesty and recognizable, complex human motivation," Robbins said.

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

For what it's worth, I've been trying to turn fellow film fans on to The Luck of Ginger Coffey for the past dozen years or so - but it's never been available on DVD, and the VHS copies are rarer than hen's teeth, and to boot, it's very seldom broadcast anywhere.
And yet, low-budget & little-known though it might be, it remains a powerhouse of 'quiet' filmmaking, and arguably the best performance ever by Robert Shaw, one of the late 20th century's most underappreciated actors.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw that movie a long time ago. I don't remember a lot about it but I do remember that Shaw did a great job. I had heard of his performance and that is what drove me to it. I bet it has been at least 25 years or more since I did see it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Another great figure of cinema died, Italian director Mario Monicelli. He commited suicide throwing himself from the 5th floor of the hospital where he was cured. Mario Monicelli was 95. I saw him only 2 years ago during a tribute at the Cinémathèque. He looked very well.
If you don't know Monicelli, he was one of the major film makers in Italy. He made some masterpieces of comedy such as I Soliti Ignoti, Amici Miei. But he also made some superb drama such as Un Borghese piccolo, piccolo with an incredible performance by Alberto Sordi. I guess he isn't very famous in English speaking countries. But, he deserves a greater recognition.
http://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/10_no ... aabc.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11873511
RIP to a great film maker. :(
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A great film maker,thanks for bringing it to our attention, it's the kind of headline I'd never see here. If there is a tiny shining light it might be that more of his films might come to DVD.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

How sad: Leslie Nielsen and Mario Monicelli, I loved "Il Soli Ignoti".
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I remember Leslie Neilsen saying on an interview show that he was willing his whoopie cushion to Whoopie Goldberg!!
I wonder if she gets it??

Larry
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I was sorry to hear about Monicelli's death. He really should be better known in the US. "Big Deal on Madonna Street" was wonderful. I also liked "The Great War" and "Brancaleone's Army," which the Monty Python people must have seen before they did "Holy Grail."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Sad indeed RIP. :(
feaito

Post by feaito »

Very sad indeed, rest in peace masterful Blake Edwards.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Blake Edwards had an interesting career. It's almost as if they were two halves from different people's careers stitched together.

Some of his lesser known films that I like a lot are "The Party," "Darling Lili," and "Wild Rovers."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Party was probably the first classic film outside of Chaplin that my daughter loved. We all laughed so hard watching it the first time on TCM a few years ago. I don't think a director could ask for more.