Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MikeBSG

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by MikeBSG »

I strongly recommend "Asylum." It is based on several short stories by Robert Bloch, who wrote "Psycho" and many fine horror stories between the 1930s and the 90s. Roy Ward Baker gives each story a distinctive style. Really worth a look. To me, it comes close to challenging "Dead of Night" as the top horror anthology movie.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh i didn't realize roy ward baker directed, i really like his work. thank you, i'll take a look soon.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Anthology films can be enjoyable. The story is over before you have a chance to get bored! As a child, my pals and I had the time our lives at DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS! I saw it again a few years ago. You know what? It's not bad!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My fave is "Tales from the Crypt". Kinda corny now but back in the early 70s it really packed quite a punch, especially the Peter Cushing episode (which, personally for the actor, hit poignantly close to home). In fact, horror-fan that I was in '72 I passed over a school dance to sit through a double showing of "Tales".
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Interesting that you mention that. Just last night, my friend could have had a date. But DR. CYCLOPS was on, followed by REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES. He told the lady he'd take a rain check! A man with priorities!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, I was about 15 at the time and at that stage of my life monsters took priorities over romance. Soon to change, though. Only I really don't think a date I had sometime later appreciated going to a showing of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Not familiar with his other work, but possesses a terrifically talented pedigree and created an immortal composition:

http://inmusic.ca/news_and_features/new ... d/220bc24a
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

A very sweet and kind man who I had the pleasure to know. God bless, sweet sir.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

So sorry to hear about Turhan Bey. I had a friend who interviewed several years ago and also spoke fondly of him.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A lovely guy, may he rest in peace.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And another -

Ex-NFL star, actor Alex Karras dies
Former NFL player and actor Alex Karras died Wednesday in Los Angeles, a family spokesman said. He was 77.

"After a heroic fight with kidney disease, heart disease, dementia and for the last two years, stomach cancer," Karras died at his home, surrounded by family, the spokesman said.

Karras, a defensive lineman and four-time Pro Bowl selection who played for the Detroit Lions from 1958 to 1970, went on to star in the 1980s sitcom “Webster” and also played the horse-punching Mongo in the 1974 movie “Blazing Saddles."

In April, he joined hundreds of ex-NFL players suing the league over concussion-related injuries, serving as lead plaintiff for what was then the 12th concussion-related complaint filed against the NFL by the Locks Law Firm in Philadelphia.

Karras “sustained repetitive traumatic impacts to his head and/or concussions on multiple occasions” during his NFL career, and “suffers from various neurological conditions and symptoms related to the multiple head traumas,” the lawsuit said.

His wife, "Webster” co-star Susan Clark, said in April that Karras suffered from dementia.

The more than 2,000 NFL players who are suing the league claim the NFL misled players concerning the risks associated with concussions. The NFL has repeatedly said that player safety is a priority and that any allegation that the NFL intentionally sought to mislead players has no merit.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Sorry to hear about Turhan Bey. I am one of the few people who like "The Climax" (1944).

Sorry also to hear about Alex Karras. He was wonderful in "Victor/Victoria." The less said about "Against All Odds" the better.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Mike, I like THE CLIMAX. Karloff, color and that wonderful scene of a nervous Turhan unconsciously destroying the opera program.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Johnny Carson used to do a bit where he read first the answers, then the questions. This is dated, but...

Answer: Kirk Douglas, Turhan Bey and Earl Butts.
Question: Name a Kirk, a Turk and a jerk!

Earl Butts was a disgraced political figure.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Some appreciated levity, RedRiver. Of course that was when Johnny used to don the turban (not turhan) as Karmak -- which was also the name of the High Priest in the Universal MUMMY movies. Wonder if Johnny was a fan.