Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Lomm »

Screen legend (and heavy metal musician) Christopher Lee passed away yesterday at 93. What a long, fulfilling life he led. He will be missed. RIP.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

What terrible news to wake up to. I'm deeply saddened. He and Peter Cushing were my first childhood heroes and I can't imagine my Saturday afternoons without visiting with their various screen characters at our local cinema. I was fortunate enough to meet both men. I'll never forget Sir Christopher's kindness when he passed through Winnipeg some years back to promote "Bear Island". Because I was a member of his fan club it was arranged that I could meet and spend some time with Mr. Lee at his hotel. He was gracious, friendly, funny -- the perfect gentleman. And he never once made it seem as if my being there was an intrusion.

A memory I treasure.

RIP and God bless, Sir.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

[youtube][/youtube]

A wonderful tribute to a great actor and fine human being.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I came across a quote from Christopher Lee that was lovely today. It might apply to more than actors.

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have a choice of whether to do it with good grace or not."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Can you imagine the duet he and Jack Wild are having tonight or maybe they are just "reviewing the situation"

Actor Ron Moody, Oscar nominated for his role as Fagin in the 1968 Best Picture winner, Oliver has died at 91:

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Courtesy of Scott McGee,

TCM Remembers Christopher Lee:

[youtube][/youtube]
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't imagine my Saturday afternoons without visiting with their various screen characters at our local cinema

We had the same childhood, Western Guy! My first viewings of CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and HORROR OF DRACULA were as a glorious double feature. These gentlemen were to our generation what Boris and Bela were to our parents'. May they rest in peace. Unless of course...
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, that was exactly my first double feature exposure to the Cushing and Lee team-up - with the added attraction some lousy movie called THE WITCH'S CURSE (shoulda been either CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF or THE MUMMY). But regardless, watching those two horror heroes on the big screen remains a vivid and most welcome memory of my younger days.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Christopher Lee - Legend of Horror

I was sad to hear his death today - I was taking a brief moment to talk to my dear friend over lunch today he informed me that his death and I consider him one of the legendary horror actor of all time.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I had TCM on while in another room and then heard that mournful "remembers" music, so rushed back in. Couldn't believe it was Christopher Lee, for some reason I thought he'd live forever, like Count Dracula, lol. (well, until Peter Cushing caught up with him...)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Composer James Horner has died in a plane crash. Winner of 2 Oscars and nominated for ten others he was 61. The soundtrack for "Titanic" sold 27 million copies.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Dick Van Patten has passed on. More a TV than movie fixture, but always a welcome presence.

RIP

http://www.people.com/article/dick-van- ... -love-boat
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have always liked Dick Van Patten and he was a joy on Television and I've missed watching Eight is Enough on TV.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . And more sad news for movie buffs. George "Foghorn" Winslow. The little kid with the big voice.

RIP.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/local ... d-actor-in
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

THE AVENGERS star Patrick Macnee has left us. Another face more familiar to TV viewers than movie watchers, though he did gain fame as the young Marley in the quintessential version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

And a friend and contemporary of Christopher Lee --

RIP, John Steed:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44708