Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by movieman1957 »

I have a recording of "Scrooge" where Macnee does the introduction. I recently watched "The Kingsmen" with my daughter and thought Colin Firth had more than a passing homage to Macnee's John Steed. He even did a nice turn in "A View To A Kill" working wonderfully with Roger Moore.

As Steed he proved you can be well dressed and a secret agent together. And, at all times, he was very clean.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:I have a recording of "Scrooge" where Macnee does the introduction. I recently watched "The Kingsmen" with my daughter and thought Colin Firth had more than a passing homage to Macnee's John Steed. He even did a nice turn in "A View To A Kill" working wonderfully with Roger Moore.

As Steed he proved you can be well dressed and a secret agent together. And, at all times, he was very clean.
Patrick Macnee was a pleasure to see, like a dear old friend of the family who always brought a bushel of good will, bonhomie, and naughtiness with him. Moore wrote in both his memoirs about his friend Macnee--and they both helped each other cope with the pressures of fame. For a long time, one was on the ascent while the other was struggling and vice versa. At 93, even John Steed might agree that it was time to leave the party.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Patrick Macnee

A gentlemen secret agent and a joy on the Avengers - His voice is crisp, clear, and being hard of hearing he's was a joy on Television. I adore him.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mrs. Peel,

We're needed.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Omar Sharif has died of a heart attack at 83.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/omar-shari ... 44857.html
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

So sad, but at least he is no longer tethered to the Alzheimer's that he suffered through in recent years. Great details about his life in the BBC obituary for Omar Sharif can be seen by clicking on the image of the actor in his youth:

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Omar Sharif - I love him in Lawrence of Arabia, The Night of the Generals, Peter the Great (TV Mini Series), and a couple other performances as well. I have mixed feelings about Doctor Zhivago - he will be missed.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I heard on his first night Hollywood, he and Peter O'Toole got arrested. I wonder if alcohol was involved!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Alex Rocco has passed. A talented, versatile actor with many credits but who will perhaps remain best known for his role as the Bugsy Siegel-inspired Vegas mobster Moe Greene in THE GODFATHER. A small part but he left a vivid impression.

Like my guy George Raft, Rocco apparently also had some early ties to the underworld but parlayed those experiences into an honest, lucrative career.

RIP, Sir

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... tor-809754
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I am deeply saddened to report the passing of one of the kindest, sweetest people I ever had the pleasure of knowing. The wonderful Coleen Gray passed away today. I can truly she she was every bit as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside (despite what she said about herself to Sterling Hayden in THE KILLING). I first came into contact with Coleen when I was writing my George Raft bio. I sent her a letter asking if she could provide any info on working with Raft in LUCKY NICK CAIN. She sent me back a smiley face-stamped postcard asking for me to call her at the number she included. That started a long correspondence by phone and letter, culminating in an interview that was published in VIDEOSCOPE, which Coleen actually acknowledged favorably in a letter sent to Joe Kane and that was published in a later issue - so complimentary in her remarks and that I treasure.

Later she sent me some snapshots of her wearing the trench coat that Raft had presented her with following the completion of the movie they made.

We stayed in touch for a number of years and shared personal stuff that was really quite rare between two people who had never met face-to-face. But I could talk to her about things without reservation.

I'm comforted that she is reunited with her beloved Fritzie.

RIP and my love to a true angel
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ms. Gray's brief appearance in RED RIVER is impressive. She makes her mark in NIGHTMARE ALLEY. But it's the Kubrick thriller that best shows her talent. She plays lonely, desperate Fay with great sensitivity.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Very true, R.R. In only two scenes Coleen definitely makes an impression and with those qualities you mention.

Incidentally, Coleen said that it was unfair that she received second billing in THE KILLING as she felt it was Marie Windsor who was the true female star and who pretty much stole the show.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Sad to hear that one of my favorites Yvonne Craig passed away yesterday. Best known as Batgirl and the Star Trek Orion Slave, and for a couple of movies opposite Elvis Presley (but especially as Batgirl!). RIP

Click for full size

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33985709
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Rest in Peace, Yvonne Craig.
Also sorry to hear about one of my favorites, Patrick Macnee. He was also on an episode of Frasier being absolutely adorable as the father of Derek Jacobi in "The Show Must Go Off," one of the funniest episodes. Ever. RIP, Mr. Steed. You are needed elsewhere.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Martin "Marty" Milner: Another childhood fave and one of the Good Guys:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... s-33589296