Movie Producers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hollis

Movie Producers

Post by Hollis »

Hi all,

I'm going to ask what some will surely consider a "stupid question" but Momma always said "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." Would someone please explain to me what exactly is the role of the producer in the making of a motion picture? I just realized that I've never read anywhere what he/she does and maybe, just maybe, there's someone else out there that doesn't know too. I can't possibly be (and someone please back me up here) the only one that doesn't know the answer, can I? Don't everyone jump at once, I'm sure bandwidth is limited!

Thanks for the assist,

Hollis
Moraldo Rubini

The Producers

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I can get the answer started. The reason you don't already know is probably because there are so many grey areas to the roles. And there are different producers: Executive Producer, Associate Producer, etc.

The role has changed with time, but has always varied to some degree. Some producers are basically "money men". They raise the funds to make the movie. Some producers are "the boss". They buy the product, the book, the play, etc.; then hire the director and work on choosing the cast, etc. Some have visions of grandeur and get their fingers in every pie. David O. Selznick was an example. He was on the set everyday approving (or disappoving) every decision.

The studio system also had separate production units; like MGM's Freed Unit and the Pasternak Unit. Arthur Freed would listen to pitches and choose projects that would be appropriate for his stable of artists. He'd let the creative do the work, but had final approval on it all.

Today, there are producers that never see the set/location of shooting. They're just in it for the investment. They schmooze and cajole, raising the money to make the movie and pray for profit.
vallo

Post by vallo »

"A Producer" ­ is the person who oversees the entire production. Depending on how big the project is, they act as the supervisor of the various department heads and also as a hands-on person in charge of creating and maintaining the budget. Ideally, they work in tandem with the director and share a creative vision of the project. In some cases, documentary television for example, there is no director ‹the producer acts as both producer and director. In other cases, the director only directs the actual shoot, whereas the producer directs the overall production. Sometimes the producer credit is given to individuals who help the project financially. For example, a producer credit might be given to a sound person who donated the use of their equipment to the project, saving the production several thousand dollars.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Hollis

Movie Producers (continued)

Post by Hollis »

Thanks for the assist so far gentlemen. Taking the question one step further, does that mean that the titles "Executive," "Assistant," "Associate" or "Co-producer" might serve as much to stroke an ego as much as they would to bestow credit on an individual for their actual contribution to the undertaking? If the director of a movie were to be compared to the foreman on a construction site (which I'm assuming is a fairly accurate comparison) could the producer be viewed as the architect that drew up the plans? Would that be a fair assessment? I apologize for my naivete but one more question answered is one less remaining to be asked.

Thanks again,

Hollis
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

To continue with your analogy, I believe the architect would be the screenwriter.

The producer is the guy who hires the architect and says "I would like a house based on the Arts and Crafts aesthetic but with an Italian Renaissance loggia in front." Then he goes on to hire the contractor, checks his building progress each day, and nags him about keeping down rising costs.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Understood and thanks for being so clear Moraldo. I got lucky and learned something new today!

Arrivederci,

Hollis