TCM Classic Film Union

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Re: TCM Classic Film Union

Post by mrsl »

I haven't even tried to go over to that site, but from the posts here, I'm kind of glad I didn't. My whole family is ga-ga about Facebook, but I find it pretty dumb. It is like My Space where people just try to outdo each other in getting attention. One thing I can give it credit for is that it re-connected me with an old friend who I had lost contact with, but hopefully, now we can get back to our old friendship.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

All I know is that ever sine their CFU has opened, I haven't been able to post successfully more than once in a weeks time.
I've complained a number of times thru e-mails and phone messages (can't PM Web/ad since my 'loggin' won't work) but haven't gotten any response. Do any of you folks know what's going on over there?
Wish they would've left the blasted 'Facebook' nonsense to the twitter-kids, and left the message boards to us.
Like this site also, but used to be big on the "Games-Trivia' threads over there (before the invasion of the 'sock puppets' awhile back) and that kind of thing didn't seem to catch on here as yet.
Thanks for listening, any kind of advice would be appreciated, as I'm at a loss of options, and did enjoy the ride while it lasted. :(
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

mrsl wrote:...just tryomg to outdo each other in getting attention.
Exactly. I've reconsidered my use of the Union and see a Gallery-like thread as accomplishing more than my one person's photo-page. Mongo, MissG, CM, FrankG and many others contribute to great Gallery threads (like our CANDIDS thread here), and provide a photo-education to me constantly.

That's a much better implementation than this Union-Facebook-MySpace formats.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It's a shame, really, because I have no objection to the concept, just the direction the execution is going.

Like JackFavell and Knitty said, all these strangers are asking to be my "Friend" and I have no idea who
they are or if they are half of them the TCM Troll in disguise. I haven't even visited it in several days.

But it certainly HAS made a mess of the main message boards---Ziggy, all I can advise is patience, I
hope the TCM Tech people are working on whatever it is that's causing so much aggravation to logging in
and posting over there. Given their track record, don't expect a speedy solution.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The idea of writing intrigues me some. Lord knows what I would write about but it might be a place to try. One interesting thing I learned there is I joined 39 years ago.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:The idea of writing intrigues me some. Lord knows what I would write about but it might be a place to try. One interesting thing I learned there is I joined 39 years ago.

LOL!!! I thought I had IMAGINED seeing that last bit by my own name one day....how I accomplished that I would like to know. I was a TCM fan in my pre-existence! :lol:

Chris, I'd love to read a blog by you, in fact one of my hopes had been that some of the really talented writers here and at TCM would have a place to preserve some of their best film commentary.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I went on a bit when the TCM boards went down.... oh, yeah.... they are still down.....

I still don't know who half the people are who are asking to be my friend, or what happens when they become your friend. Do I go for quantity, or quality? Perhaps I should just try and get EVERYONE to be my friend - so I look really cool....Because I don't know how to delete them anyway....OY.

I was mortified that I would have to write a description of myself - I started to write, but everything that came out on my screen sounded so pretentious I was too embarrassed to print it. If I write the truth that I am a stay at home mom who gets bored just doing housework, I wonder how many "hits" I will have or "friend" requests..... :D

I also got irritated (it seems to be my general mood lately) that some movies and stars don't have pictures, just that crazy gold logo that I am beginning to hate.... so I spent a good deal of time adding pictures to the TCM database in hopes that they would eventually find their way onto the Union website. Well, I guess the database doesn't work either because out of the ten or twelve pictures I added, only one has even shown up on the database, and that one has not translated to TCM Union.

To quote Louis Jourdan, "It's a bore..."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:
I was mortified that I would have to write a description of myself - I started to write, but everything that came out on my screen sounded so pretentious I was too embarrassed to print it. If I write the truth that I am a stay at home mom who gets bored just doing housework, I wonder how many "hits" I will have or "friend" requests..... :D

To quote Louis Jourdan, "It's a bore..."
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a stay at home Mum but I'm with you, it sounds so boring whenever it has to be written down. People who aren't in the know I'm sure think we stay at home with our feet up eating biscuits.

We have things in common,I'd request you as a friend if I could be bothered to join a new forum. :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, Alison, remember this? It's just as true today as it was last year. Stay at home moms are the backbone of this world. Lots of us had stay at home moms, and lots of us didn't. Doesn't matter what degrees you hold, or titles, or how big (or small) your bank accounts are, Mothering is still the most important job in the world.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 208#p27208
feaito

Post by feaito »

knitwit45 wrote:Mothering is still the most important job in the world.http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 208#p27208
Yes indeed, Amen to that!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

knitwit45 wrote:Hey, Alison, remember this? It's just as true today as it was last year. Stay at home moms are the backbone of this world. Lots of us had stay at home moms, and lots of us didn't. Doesn't matter what degrees you hold, or titles, or how big (or small) your bank accounts are, Mothering is still the most important job in the world.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 208#p27208

I envy you ladies and there aren't many people today I envy.

Jackie, you should be proud to acknowledge it!
:)
-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

The TCM Boards and now SSO suit me just fine. My feeling is that the Classic Film Union represents the abhorrence of a vacuum that somehow "needs" to be filled. I can live without it, thank you kindly.
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

Well, it IS easier to post pix there. I put one in my profile, one movie poster, a Warren William & a David Carradine.
Okay...so now what?
Although according to a certain poster there, I guess some of us senile old geezers should feel honored that the twitter-kids over there are deigning to drag us kicking and screaming out of our lonely and pathetic lives into the healthy stimulation of the social networking of the computer world.
uh, thanks, but no thanks.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Like Ziggy said, "Easier, but now what?" And mostly I feel like I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into THEIR lonely and pathetic world!

"Thanks but no thanks" remains my constant review.

I do like the NOTION that it could be a one-stop Blog site, like GOOGLE has their blog sites but I still think blogs are basically one-way communication while forums encourage REPLIES and, numerically, historically, this seems to be the case - I hardly ever run across a blog that has hundreds or thousands of responses and, when I've seen THOSE columnists in newspaper sites, they usually only splash a few posts at a time for easy reading. There is no sense of how vast the replies are, or an easy way to page thru them because the website is SOOOO heavily loaded with revenue-generating doodads that flop and fly around so tirelesslyl that readers will give up after Page 2 or 3.

Here, however, the CANDIDs and the TCM Gallery pages BEG me to spend ("waste"?) time looking over those great photos, the captions and all of MissG's evil attempts to entrap me in yet another losing argument with her! (She and her evil minions - and you know who you are! - will NOT get me to gobble up Westerns and Book Reading bait... I absolutely refuse to donate more hours on those subjects! Reading - hah! If you're not careful, I'm going to run off with Steinbeck again!)