September Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: September Schedule

Post by charliechaplinfan »

well I suppose however we look at it, it's still a great movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'll have what Mr. ChiO's having for a starter course, some of Judith's list for the main meal, and finish it off with:

27th Day, The (1957)
Daughters Courageous (1939)
Godless Girl, The (1929)
Three Hours to Kill (1954)
Shield for Murder (1954)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (1927)
Live, Love And Learn (1937)
Wicked Lady, The (1945)
Two Faced Woman (1941)
Dust Be My Destiny (1939)
Of Mice and Men (1939)
Cry, the Beloved Country (1952)
Devotion (1946)
Corn Is Green, The (1945)
(why is Davis best film still OOP?!)
Walk Softly, Stranger (1950)
Bordertown (1935)
Gold Is Where You Find It (1938)
Willie Dynamite (1974)
Sweet Jesus, Preacher Man (1973)
Day in the Death of Donny B (1969)

...and a lot more. It's going to be a busy month! I just hope my recorder can stand up to the strain. Did my eyes deceive me or was Taxi Driver on the list? Another interesting car crash would be the infamous RO/Robert Mitchum interview! :P
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Aaaaah...September. :-)

I, for one, will be looking forward to the Sword & Sandal flix on Monday September 14th:

* Colossus of Rhodes, The (1961)
* Hercules, Samson & Ulysses (1963)
* Tyrant of Lydia Against the Son of Hercules (1963)
* Terror of Rome Against the Son of Hercules (1964)
* Messalina Vs. the Son of Hercules (1964)[/b]

And for the Hitchcock homage by two directors on September 29th with:

* The Bride Wore Black (1968)

* Obsession (1976)
A businessman falls in love with a double for his murdered wife. Cast: Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold, John Lithgow. Dir: Brian Da Palma. C-98 mins.

Genevieve Bujold breaks my heart in this one. And before he was the doofy alien in “Third Rock from the Sun” Lithgow was a serious actor.

9/16, 2 AM GB Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra (1945) is a rather talky play, but all of the actors here are good (Claude Rains, Vivienne Leigh, Stewart Granger), and IMO Rains' legs are every bit as good as Granger's...OK, Chris. You remind me to remember to remind you. Or something like that.” - jdb1.

WoW! That got a big laugh outta me! ;-) Saaay, Who’s on first.

P.S. I work as a school secretary. For me...September represents something else again. Booo! Hiss!!! :-(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What's this about a famous Robert Mitchum/RO interview? Why is it famous? Knowing Robert Mitchum my mind is full of ideas.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

charliechaplinfan wrote:What's this about a famous Robert Mitchum/RO interview? Why is it famous? Knowing Robert Mitchum my mind is full of ideas.
It's kind of an inside joke between USA TCM regulars about Robert Osborne's disastrous interview with Mitchum and Jane Russell for Turner Classic Movies in 96. Although previously having good rapport, when the cameras began rolling, Mitchum clammed up and refused to to do much more than mumble one word answers. To be fair, Mitchum died of lung cancer the following year and looked in poor heath, so he might have been feeling bad or been under medication that made him nauseous or irritable. Here's a bit more info:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=72684
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:What's this about a famous Robert Mitchum/RO interview? Why is it famous? Knowing Robert Mitchum my mind is full of ideas.
It's kind of an inside joke between USA TCM regulars about Robert Osborne's disastrous interview with Mitchum and Jane Russell for Turner Classic Movies in 96. Although previously having good rapport, when the cameras began rolling, Mitchum clammed up and refused to to do much more than mumble one word answers. To be fair, Mitchum died of lung cancer the following year and looked in poor heath, so he might have been feeling bad or been under medication that made him nauseous or irritable. Here's a bit more info:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=72684
Well, I recorded a vintage interview on the BBC, some years back, where Michael Parkinson interviewed Mitchum in the 70s. He didn't get very long answers either. There was also a few clips of Mitchum interviewed during the shooting Ryan's Daughter: he was so laconic !!! :lol: Though, it's very funny.... 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

When RO did a promotional clip for the 15 year celebration, he said that various interviews with stars would be included. He mentioned the RM/Jane Russell interview, and said "I could have killed him!" and then laughed. It was pretty awful, even JR looked uncomfortable, but to her credit, didn't try to intervene or explain away his behavior. RO looked like he'd been pole-axed.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Just my opinion, but it would be "a keeper" not so much for the Hitchcock homage/ripoff that Obsession (1976) is for long periods of time, but I'd recommend it just for the glories of Bernard Herrmann's beautiful score and Vilmos Zsigmond's dreamlike cinematography, (which is particularly lovely capturing the beauty of Florence and the heady atmosphere of a misty New Orleans).
The one thing I would add is John Lithgow's performance. It has stayed with me some thirty years later!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:
Just my opinion, but it would be "a keeper" not so much for the Hitchcock homage/ripoff that Obsession (1976) is for long periods of time, but I'd recommend it just for the glories of Bernard Herrmann's beautiful score and Vilmos Zsigmond's dreamlike cinematography, (which is particularly lovely capturing the beauty of Florence and the heady atmosphere of a misty New Orleans).
The one thing I would add is John Lithgow's performance. It has stayed with me some thirty years later!
Yeah, Lynn, but I'd put the scissors away anytime Lithgow was around! Loved his smarmy accent, though. After seeing The Furies, Dial M for Murder and b]Obsession[/b], it might be best to keep the shears in the back of the drawer!!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Woman In The Window" also showed scissors can be used for more than cutting coupons.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:
Yeah, Lynn, but I'd put the scissors away anytime Lithgow was around! Loved his smarmy accent, though. After seeing The Furies, Dial M for Murder and b]Obsession[/b], it might be best to keep the shears in the back of the drawer!!
Or . .
If you just can't suppress your appetite for more scissor salad {sorry, seen too many entendre'd salon names} you can go for broke with a bizarre little mid-80's Euro import called The Fourth Man, starring Jeroen Krabbe; though lacking diamonds, the plot is rich in the four C's: castration, catholicism, cross-dressing & compulsive disorders.
It's just sheer madness trying to guess the climax! :x
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:Judith, did Harry Belafonte really not sing in Carmen Jones, how was this when he was better known as a singer. I love that film, I always thought it was his voice.
Not enough of an operatic voice for the part. I just looked up the movie, and the singer LeVerne Hutcherson is listed as Belafonte's voice. Another place I consulted a while back said it was Robert McFerrin, Bobby McFerrin's father. Hutcherson was in, I believe, several productions of Porgy & Bess on stage. Thing is, both singers are listed as baritones, and Belafonte's role as Joe calls for a tenor. Who knows? We do know for sure that Marilyn Horne sang Carmen for Dandridge. Horne was a pretty hot Carmen on stage in her own right.
Robert McFerrin sang Porgy in the rarely seen movie version of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. He did the vocals for Sidney Poitier...
moirafinnie wrote:Just my opinion, but it would be "a keeper" not so much for the Hitchcock homage/ripoff that Obsession (1976) is for long periods of time, but I'd recommend it just for the glories of Bernard Herrmann's beautiful score and Vilmos Zsigmond's dreamlike cinematography, (which is particularly lovely capturing the beauty of Florence and the heady atmosphere of a misty New Orleans).
In this thread, I've seen both On Dangerous Ground and Obsession mentioned. Is there a Bernard Herrmann tribute in September? I saw ODG in a small rep house some years ago, and the opening titles soundtrack knocked me out. Searched for a recording for years (and finally found it, thanks to TCM and FSM Golden Age Classics).
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

You just have to remember to bump this back up for us in late August.
OK, Chris. You remind me to remember to remind you. Or something like that.
As requested.

Here it is the 25th and time to get ready for Judith's (and everyone else's) September suggestions.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingrat wrote:For those of you who haven't seen THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS, I recommend it highly. The print TCM showed in June was absolutely gorgeous. After you've watched it, go back and take a second look at the early scene in the taxicab, as the changing lights and shadows counterpoint the dialogue. Beautiful location photography in the French Alps.

I second that recommendation. I liked the movie so much that I searched for and read the H.G. Wells novel
it is based upon.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers