September Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

September Schedule

Post by MissGoddess »

I just got through skimming over the September schedule for TCM and there are ALOT of interesting
titles, including several Fox movies (including Abandon Ship! and Hangover
Square
), films noir, an early David Lean that missed recording (The Passionate
Friends
) as well as some pre-codes I've never seen. A very cool mix, here's the link if you want
a head start on setting up your "reminders":

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?eid=&oid=9/1/2009
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: September Schedule

Post by movieman1957 »

They even slipped in some Charley Chase shorts on a "Silent Sunday Nights" showing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Man is my DVR going to be busy in September:

Hollywood the Dream Factory about the MGM auction
Tender Comrade
Mighty Joe Young
Nickelodeon!
Junior Bonner
White Banners
Juarez
(no matter how you pronounce it)
Rancho Notorious
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Phenix City Story
Obsession
!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: Juarez[/b] (no matter how you pronounce it)

Cheese whiz, Lynn, I didn't know there was a second way to pronounce Juarez! :roll:
But then, except for a certain nightclub in Seattle, I've never seen phoenix spelt without an "o", either! :?
One thing I am sure about though, is that despite how you choose to pronounce Senora Katy's last name of Jurado, you'll be missing one of the lady's strongest supporting performances if you don't catch her comforting screen hubby Slim Pickens as he goes Knockin' on Heaven's Door in Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.
I don't believe it matters whether you love Westerns, or loathe 'em - by my tally, this one's Essential!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Cheese whiz, Lynn, I didn't know there was a second way to pronounce Juarez! :roll:
But then, except for a certain nightclub in Seattle, I've never seen phoenix spelt without an "o", either! :?
Klon,
You'd be surprised at the argument that can go on at TCM City regarding the pronunciation!
One thing I am sure about though, is that despite how you choose to pronounce Senora Katy's last name of Jurado, you'll be missing one of the lady's strongest supporting performances if you don't catch her comforting screen hubby Slim Pickens as he goes Knockin' on Heaven's Door in Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.
I don't believe it matters whether you love Westerns, or loathe 'em - by my tally, this one's Essential!
I love that scene!!! It is one of my favorites. The light on the river behind Slim is just beautiful! I get teary just thinking about it.

It's the reason I am looking forward to the movie.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Is Obsession that Italian movie, if so you're in for a real treat :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lzcutter wrote:
Klon,
You'd be surprised at the argument that can go on at TCM City regarding the pronunciation!
I love that scene!!! It is one of my favorites. The light on the river behind Slim is just beautiful! I get teary just thinking about it.

It's the reason I am looking forward to the movie.
No need to wait. Here's a nice taster:

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Thank ye kindly for that clip, Mr. A!
It stands as proof that a director as talented & on-his-game as Sam Peckinpah was (in that year), can not only draw great work from skilled veterans like Jurado & Pickins, but also elicit some scenes of nice craftsmanship from an alert bit-player like L. Q. Jones!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There are several noirs that I finally get to record, including:

THE WINDOW - story by Cornell Woolrich
THE WHIP HAND - a Howard Hughes Red-Scare movie with Musuraca photography
ON DANGEROUS GROUND - finally! My own copy to watch over and over.
THE CLAY PIGEON

Plus: DIAL 1119 (a noir fave in these parts, with Marshall Thompson, Leon Ames & William Conrad), a Phil Karlson night, two of Samuel Fuller's quieter movies (THE BARON OF ARIZONA and PARK ROW), two by Max Ophuls (LA RONDE and THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE...), Rossellini's THE FLOWERS OF SAINT FRANCIS, and -- on the same night! -- RANCHO NOTORIOUS and JOHNNY GUITAR.

Enough to keep me occupied.

Is OBSESSION -- De Palma, not Visconti -- a keeper?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:Is OBSESSION -- De Palma, not Visconti -- a keeper?
Just my opinion, but it would be "a keeper" not so much for the Hitchcock homage/ripoff that Obsession (1976) is for long periods of time, but I'd recommend it just for the glories of Bernard Herrmann's beautiful score and Vilmos Zsigmond's dreamlike cinematography, (which is particularly lovely capturing the beauty of Florence and the heady atmosphere of a misty New Orleans).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I've taken a look at the September lineup, and have these comments:

9/4, 2:15 PM An early and pretty good noir, Cornered (1946), featuring a pretty tough Dick Powell. At 8 PM, George Pal's War of the Worlds (1953), which is worlds better than a lot of the sci-fi stuff that came after it.

9/6, 10 AM - A very cute "sex comedy" of the early 60s, The Facts of Life (1960), starring Lucille Ball and Bob Hope. This one is very gentle by today's standards, but has none of that "wink wink nudge nudge" quality that so many others of this type had at that time. Later that night, at 2 AM, same subject, very different treatment - La Ronde (1952).

9/7 At 2:45 PM one of the "Men Who Made the Movies" series, this time dealing with Sam Fuller. I mentioned once before, that after seeing this docu I had a much better understanding of what Fuller was trying to do in his movies, and appreciated him much more than I did before.

9/8, 2 AM We can see the not seen often enough Aldo Ray in the strong Raoul Walsh war drama The Naked and the Dead (1958).

9/9, 2:45 PM A minor movie called Cause for Alarm (1951). In this one Loretta Young is in big trouble because her nutsy and very jealous husband is trying to frame her for his own death. It's sort of silly, in terms of plot, but I think Young, not my favorite actress, is pretty good here.

9/10 An evening of movies featuring the underrated Sabu, including Michael Powell's beautiful The Thief of Bagdad (1940) at 8 PM. Some of these films may not be great, but all are entertaining at least to some degree, and Sabu was a very endearing screen presence.

9/15 At 8:20 AM, the very winning Janie (1944), about the small town Home Front during WWII. This film is aimed at the teen/young adult audience of the day, and has enough in it to please everyone, including a very nice, spontaneous looking musical number. Joyce Reynolds is very good as Janie, and Edward Arnold is excellent as her exasperated but loving father. Later in the day, at 6:15 PM, there is a sequel called Janie Gets Married (1946), with Joan Leslie playing Janie. I haven't yet seen that one.

9/16, 2 AM GB Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra (1945) is a rather talky play, but all of the actors here are good (Claude Rains, Vivienne Leigh, Stewart Granger), and IMO Rains' legs are every bit as good as Granger's.

9/17, 5 PM Marlene Dietrich makes like a Joan Crawford cowgirl in a western called Rancho Notorious (1952). I found this movie pretty funny, but entertaining. Crawford's Johnny Guitar (1954) will be shown later the same day, at 10 PM.

9/18, 8 PM In Carmen Jones (1954), Dorothy Dandridge heats up the screen like nobody's business, and Harry Belafonte helps. The great mezzo-soprano Marilyn Horne supplies Carmen's voice, and the Belafonte voice is provided by Bobby McFerrin's father, whose name escapes me at the moment.

9/19, 6 AM, Stan and Ollie in a very good restored print of Sons of the Desert (1933) (Honolulu Baby, won't you close those eyes . . . . . )

9/23, 6:15 AM Director Clarence Brown gives us a really beautiful and affecting genre piece in The Human Comedy (1943), depicting another small town during WWII. Mickey Rooney is great as the focal point of the story, but my favorite here is the adorable Marsha Hunt as the sweet and down to earth rich girl who loves a telegraph operator.

9/25 An entire morning of what look like pre-codes dealing with "liberated" women. One, Cocktail Hour (1933), is described as "a wealthy artist courts disaster when she tries to live as freely as a man." You go girl. At 12:15 PM there's one called My Woman (1933) with the seldom-seen Helen Twelvetrees. Later that night, at 9:30 PM, we can see The Phenix City Story (1955), a really tough one about a cleaning up a corrupt town.

9/26, 6 AM Please give Turnabout (1940) a try if you haven't yet caught it. Hal Roach himself directed this screwball.

9/27 10 AM I saw this very nice programmer, Our Very Own (1950) a while back and thought it very good. Ann Blyth, a heretofore happy young woman, discovers that she's adopted. Why didn't they tell her? Of course she wants to find her birth mother. I think her adoptive mother, Jane Wyatt, is way better.

9/28 Is a morning/afternoon of Donna Reed, including the very weird Mokey (1942), starring a young and very ethnic looking Bobby Blake, who is supposed to be the son of Dan Dailey. He just knows his new stepmom, Donna, is going to be mean. Gosh, he doesn't even give her a chance!

9/30 An evening of Claude Rains, including the searing and disturbing They Won't Forget (1937), based on the notorious real-life Mary Phagan murder trial. Rains is the overly ambitious Southern DA, with a drawl.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

You just have to remember to bump this back up for us in late August.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

You just have to remember to bump this back up for us in late August.
OK, Chris. You remind me to remember to remind you. Or something like that.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Judith, did Harry Belafonte really not sing in Carmen Jones, how was this when he was better known as a singer. I love that film, I always thought it was his voice.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Judith, did Harry Belafonte really not sing in Carmen Jones, how was this when he was better known as a singer. I love that film, I always thought it was his voice.
Not enough of an operatic voice for the part. I just looked up the movie, and the singer LeVerne Hutcherson is listed as Belafonte's voice. Another place I consulted a while back said it was Robert McFerrin, Bobby McFerrin's father. Hutcherson was in, I believe, several productions of Porgy & Bess on stage. Thing is, both singers are listed as baritones, and Belafonte's role as Joe calls for a tenor. Who knows? We do know for sure that Marilyn Horne sang Carmen for Dandridge. Horne was a pretty hot Carmen on stage in her own right.