Greer Garson

Discussion of programming on TCM.
feaito

Re: Greer Garson

Post by feaito »

mrsl wrote:.
I pulled this oldie thread up just to say I liked the short bio of Greer Garson presently playing for her as the Star of the Month.
What a coincidence that you pulled up this thread Anne, because I'm currently reading and enjoying very much "A Rose For Mrs. Miniver - The life of Greer Garson" by Michael Troyan.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We all started out loving classics like Random Harvest and Mrs. Miniver, but we've become too sophisticated to admit that we liked them.

I don't have a problem with those movies. I was thinking of some I haven't seen. I go to a website, see a few titles. I think, "Never heard of that. No hurry to watch it!"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can't think of better casting in Julius Caesar than Deborah Kerr and Greer Garson.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, I think they are very underrated in the film, and that the film is underrated and barely ever talked about.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I watched Random Harvest tonight ... and it was a wonderful romantic film to watch. Now, I'm watching Madame Curie ... Greer Garson is such a wonderful actress and I adore her movies.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I too watched Random Harvest last night, or at least the beginning up until the car wreck. Still can't figure out how Greer and Ronnie made it work so well. Just brilliant.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I love Greer doing "She is Ma Daisy" - I bet she enjoyed doing that - so different and just brilliant. It's one of my favorite movie moments in any film.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

kingrat wrote:Mrs. Parkington is probably my favorite Garson film. [. . .] Agnes Moorehead is a delight. . . .
Bless you. AM and GG became good friends during this their first picture together. At a social event together circa 1960s:

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lovely photo, PT! Thank you.

I have enjoyed every minute of the Greer Garson film festival on TCM. I loved what RO said about Pride and Prejudice earlier, that it included two of the loveliest voices that ever spoke the English language: Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson.

My favorite dress from Random Harvest...

And all those lovely hats in Random Harvestand Mrs. Miniver.
Here is Greer Garson in a lovely chapeau while she is knitting in the "continental style."
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I wonder if that knitting photo was staged...no one in their right mind would be knitting from a tangled mess like that.

I thought the two loveliest speaking voices referred to GG and Ronald Colman... :?:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love She is Ma Daisy as well, it's just a great number, and when the boys burst out in applause at the end it seems real and justified.

I really loved Madame Curie when I was a kid. So romantic and it made you feel you might grow up to be a famous scientist, and then die from your own discovery. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist and Sue Sue Applegate ...

Thanks for posting those lovely pictures of Greer Garson ... when I watched Random Harvest last night ... I was stunned how gorgeous she really is. Man, I forgot all about her!

Her graceful figure, her eyes, and lovely complexion are amazing ... I just love the way she lights up the Silver Screen!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I loved what RO said about Pride and Prejudice earlier, that it included two of the loveliest voices that ever spoke the English language: Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson.
I tend to agree about Miss Garson -- she's not my #1, but in my top five.

My first acquaintance with her was as a little kid back in the sixties, her narration for the christmas television special "The Little Drummer Boy." The voice was deep almost as a man's but with feminine grace and timbre. And such beautiful english -- nothing like I was used to hearing in my Queens neighborhood. :wink: And what kind of name was that for a woman -- "Greer" ? I had no idea what she looked like, yet she was exotic to me. I never forgot that voice. :)

[youtube][/youtube]

[That scene breaks my heart every time. Blubbering. . . .]
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved "The Little Drummer Boy!"

Maybe it was Ronald Coleman. I thought I remembered him saying that about Pride and Prejudice! I do prefer him over Olivier.

Greer Garson just had the loveliest lilt to her voice, and so sophisticated, so perfectly enunciated, not clipped and sharp. Coleman and Garson could be reading the phone book aloud and I think it would be worth listening to.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor