Greer Garson

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Greer Garson

Post by RedRiver »

There is much controversy about who should have won that year; most people say either James Stewart for MSGTW or Gable for GWTW

You can drive yourself crazy with incidents such as this. Was Stewart's award the following year in compensation for the oversight? Should King Gable have been acknowledged for the most popular movie of all time? On the other hand, would I have deprived the sensitive, thoughtful Donat recognition for his magnificent work? They gave the award to the right man.

The MGM team did an excellent ensemble work.

That they did! No sex. No violence. No tap dancing zombies. Just pure story telling. That's why we call them The Classics!
feaito

Post by feaito »

RedRiver wrote:There is much controversy about who should have won that year; most people say either James Stewart for MSGTW or Gable for GWTW

You can drive yourself crazy with incidents such as this. Was Stewart's award the following year in compensation for the oversight? Should King Gable have been acknowledged for the most popular movie of all time? On the other hand, would I have deprived the sensitive, thoughtful Donat recognition for his magnificent work? They gave the award to the right man.

The MGM team did an excellent ensemble work.

That they did! No sex. No violence. No tap dancing zombies. Just pure story telling. That's why we call them The Classics!
Ditto Red River!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

kingrat wrote:...A common joke in the South was that if Kennedy was elected, he would take "In God We Trust" off the coins and put "In Pope We Hope." In the days when the South was solidly Democratic, many were torn between voting for a Republican and voting for a Catholic.

This will seem very strange to people today.
Yes. Strange, in so many sad ways. :-(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

....." That they did! No sex. No violence. No tap dancing zombies. Just pure story telling. That's why we call them The Classics!".....

I probably won't be around 50 years from now when they are trying to decide who deserved an Oscar for best picture of 2013 - - Should it have been The Evil Dead, The Conjuring, Simon Killer, or possibly Eddie, the Sleepwalking Cannibal? These are all opening this week.

When I think of lovely Greer Garson and her radiant reflection on the screen, or Bette Davis, frightening you with her voice, the look in her eye, and her sudden jerky movements that showed fury, or even beautiful Lucille Ball who happily agreed to a prat fall for a laugh instead of having a bowel movement in the middle of a busy street. However did these 'old' movies last to be rewatched over and over again 60 years after they were made?

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but while looking at imdB for a cast member of a western I watched today, I noticed the list of opening movies. It struck me that I watched my own DVD of Reap the Wild Wind Thursday where I saw a couple of intertwined love stories, a couple of ship wrecks, an overturned shanghai attempt, and a fight with a giant squid. John Wayne, Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard gave me a wonderful, fun filled 2 hours and I never had the urge to cover my eyes in fear of what was coming next. When those two guys were angry with each other, they Acted it out with looks and gritted teeth. They didn't need filthy language or hand movements to convey their feelings. I don't mean to get on a soap box, I really don't, but Red River struck a nerve with me in his last post. I know nothing is going to change for what I think is the better, but I couldn't let the minute go by without some comment.

So as my kids and grand kids tease me about me and my 'old' movies, I'll just sit back and enjoy them and try to put my worries about their psyches in the back of my mind.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can see it now. "EDDIE THE SLEEPWALKING CANNIBAL was robbed of an Oscar in the all too political climate of 2013. Cannibalism, now the accepted practice..."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well Red, I do hope you're being facetious with your comment, but I have to admit you gave me a good belly laugh when I read it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I found this wonderful 1985 interview on youtube, enjoy! :D :

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks, feaito! You're a peach!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

:D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote::D
:D :!: ... too!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here is a gorgeous photograph of Greer Garson ... I was doing some reading about her and came across this sizzling photograph from an article about her.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Absolutely Stunning, Erik.