TCM Remembers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

TCM Remembers

Post by moira finnie »

I may have missed one or two of those included, but I believe that the following are included in this year's TCM Remembers video tribute to those who contributed to cinema:

Edmund Purdom, Natasha Richardson, Jody McCrea, Ricardo Montalban, Al Martino, Robert Mulligan, Howard Zieff, Pamela Blake, Farrah Fawcett, Larry Gelbart, Charles Schneer, Edward Woodward, Sam Bottoms, Patrick Swayze, Olga San Juan, Paul Burke, Horton Foote, Sydney Chaplin, Susanna Foster, Ken Annakin, Jack Cardiff, Beverly Roberts, Kathleen Byron, Dorothy Coonan, Daniel Melnick, Jane Bryan, Ron Silver, David Carradine, Richard Todd, Gale Storm, Pat Hingle, Eartha Kitt, Lou Jacobi, Bea Arthur, Maurice Jarre, Dom DeLuise, Henry Gibson, Budd Schulberg, Claude Berri, Dominick Dunne, Betsy Blair, James Whitmore, Joseph Wiseman, Patrick McGoohan, John Hughes, and Karl Malden.

There were too many gone this year, or maybe it just seems that way. I liked the tidy way that the video used still pictures to mark those who worked off screen to make films, while clips from motion pictures were found for each performer. I'll update this if TCM amends this spot, adding, I hope, Gene Barry, whose death last week probably just missed the cut for the production of this video. The music in the background is "To Live Is To Fly" by Steve Earle.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Re: TCM Remembers 2009

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for this. TCM angers me tremendously by claiming to remember "2009" but perpetually ignores December deaths. If they'd make this a January production, they could include EVERYONE. Like, last year, they didn't have Richard Widmark. This year, they donate more time to a leaf-filled gutter than they do James Whitmore - gee, that milisecond clip was SO befitting Whitmore, eh?!! Well, they'll always devote more or less to some than others.

But it's TCM's refusal to recognize December deaths as noteworthy that angers me, as if there's a time-bomb waiting to go off and they must explode this featurette in December before the milk goes sour or something. "There's NOTHING wrong with featurettes in January!"

I AM very pleased that TCM doesn't have a problem getting these onto YouTube, though. Some have had amazing music.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I really liked the clip of Edward Woodward in "Breaker Morant."

Seeing Susanna Foster surprised me. I guess she was in the 1943 "Phantom of the Opera" and 1944's "The Climax." Neither are among my favorites, but she was fine in them.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I believe that the sequences in these TCM Remembers spots in which atmospheric imagery is interwoven with images of the deceased are included in order to leave room for "late arrivals" in this memorial roll. Last year when Van Johnson died on December 12th, they amended the video to include him after a few days. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that video on youtube, but if you would like to see the original 2008 version, which does include a nod to Richard Widmark, you can do so here.

I realize that TCM is not perfect, by any means, but they seem to do an excellent job of acknowledging as many people as possible in this annual compendium. Wish I could see the day when AMPAS does as good a job during the Oscar broadcasts.

Update: Lzcutter has pointed out that actress Brenda Joyce and journalist Army Archerd were also omitted from the 2009 piece. I guess they can't include everyone. :cry:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about this year's "Remembrance". I really liked last year's (the last couple of years, the motel one being not one of them) and this year seems like more of the same instead of something new.

I'm guessing budget cuts kept them from getting film clips from everyone but the 8x10 photos don't do much for me and certainly don't give those "pictured" their due. TCM has in the past managed to tell us more about the individuals even without film clips.

Add to that, they had the wrong actress for Dorothy Coonan's clip. You just know they probably heard Wild Bill Wellman yelling epitaphs from on high at them for that faux paus. I understand it has been corrected but I haven't the seen it yet.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I saw an amended version and believe that the actress pictured is Dorothy Coonan now. They have also integrated Jennifer Jones into the flow of images as well. I believe you may be correct about the budgetary issues that could be part of the muted TCM Remembers spot this year. I wish that Gene Barry, Army Archerd, Brenda Joyce, and now Arnold Stang could be included, but perhaps between now and New Year's more of those left out will be added. The amended version of TCM Remembers 2009 is here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I thought it was a lovely and moving tribute.
However, it might be created for/by younger eyes. I can't focus that fast!
I agree they could have cut the leaves and architectural pieces just a bit and given each face one more second...
B
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I enjoyed the tribute as sad as it is to see those great creative people gone. The photos may not serve those well, but you know what... maybe TCM can wait until January 1st before presenting those that have passed on the previous year. Doing that can ensure everyone be included.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The tribute usually begins running the second weekend in December. Some of those who passed away after that will likely be included in next year's tribute. They do make exceptions for truly noteworthy actors and will re-edit the tribute to include them.
I can't remember right now who it was that got added last year but this year it was Jennifer Jones. I suspect they had her TCM Remembers tribute in the can (network news and newspapers like to be prepared for those kind of things) already and had cleared the rights so they were able to include film clips of her in the *Memoriam* tribute
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Van Johnson was edited in after it started to run last year.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a lovely tribute, Natasha Richardson should not be there, she went long before her time, seeing her image is haunting. It's nice of TCM to honour those who've passed through the hallowed gates.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: TCM Remembers

Post by moira finnie »

Here is TCM Remembers 2010:

[youtube][/youtube]

The accompanying song is "Headlights," written and performed by Sophie Hunger. Felt a definite pang when they showed Jean Simmons, John Forsythe and many of the others.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

So sad, so much talent lost in one year. Lovely choices for the spoken words.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for sharing it with us Moira. Beautifully & tastefully done.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Moira,

We must be on the same wave length; I was just thinking this morning when the Memorials were going to start.

This was a gracious presentation, and I felt especially sad to see Kathryn Grayson and Tony Curtis, beautiful people with talent.....

Anecdote:
I just missed meeting Jean Simmons when I went to lunch with Elaine Stewart when she was filming "Young Bess".... Elaine had a small role playing Anne Boleyn; and of course Simmons was Elizabeth. Whenever they met up in the following years, Simmons would call Elaine "Mommy".....

Larry