84 CHARING CROSS ROAD

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

84 CHARING CROSS ROAD

Post by mrsl »

If you've never seen this movie, be sure to catch it next time it comes on TCM. Not only does it remind us of the wonderful, but forgotten method of letterwriting, but it is the best example of a love affair between two people who have never met that you could hope to see.

From 1987, beautiful Anne Bancroft is a magazine short story editor who, in addition to being a wild fan of anything to do with London, also loves to read and own books written by English authors. The story starts at the tail end of WWII when she is looking for a specific book in New York, but cannot find it. In the meantime she sees an ad at the back of a magazine about an English shop that specializes in hard to find books, so she writes to them. The manager of the shop, Frank, played by Anthony Hopkins, handles the matter so rapidly, she writes back immediately with a list of books she cannot find, including cash to pay for the previous one. She's a wonderfully cantankerous lady with a wry sense of humor, who refuses to go on a bus to get a money order for $3.00 and some cents instead of enclosing $4.00 with her letter, when he tells her it is not good to send cash. Over many years they correspond and eventually all of the other clerks in the shop write to her as well. Feeling like they are friends, she sends food baskets filled with things that England is having trouble getting, like eggs, meat, etc. The main thrust of the movie is the letters between her and Frank who is married with a couple of daughters who are little girls in the beginning and grown, married women by the end.

The amazing thing is, nothing is ever said, or even alluded to, but as the years pass, they have formed a loving relationship. His wife instinctly knows something is up, but wisely keeps quiet. You, the viewer gets the clue when Anne plans a trip to London for Elizabeth's crowning, but her dentist tells her the only thing getting crowned in her life are some of her teeth, and Frank's reaction is one of those "excellent actor" moments when she writes to say she won't be coming. Anne rants to him over certain books and things related to them, with her humorous comments, which he just handles with quiet efficiency. The whole shop crew thinks of her as the lovely lady in America who is also their close friend and confidant.

I don't know if I'm getting the warmth and love of this movie across to you, but if ever there was an 'Essential' movie, this is it. This is not a glamorous part for Ms. Bancroft, most of the time she's in scrungy T-shirts and stretched out pants, but darn it, she looks better than me when on either of my wedding days!!! Lady Judi Dench is Franks wife, and Mercedes Ruhl is one of Annes friends, but they are all I know without a map. I truly hope I've kicked up a little interest in this great little movie. Netflix it sometime, you'll be glad you did.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
rudyfan

Re: 84 CHARRING CROSS ROAD

Post by rudyfan »

Mrsl, one of my favorite films of all time, any time frame. I could not have said it better. Anne Bancroft is so wonderful in this film. So is Antony Hopkins, of course. It's a wonderful, wonderful film and makes me want to book a flight to London so I can go hunt for used books (one of my favorite occupations).
Professional Tourist

Re: 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD

Post by Professional Tourist »

I'm not sure if I've seen the film adaptation, but I did see the original play shortly after it opened on Broadway, with Ellen Burstyn and Joseph Maher, and liked it very much. But it took some getting used to, was a bit of a strain in that none of the characters ever spoke/interacted directly with each other, and for some reason, as an audience member I found that created tension/discomfort in me. Maybe that's why it ran for only a couple of months.

I do remember the stand-out moments when Helene writes to Frank that she'll be coming to London for a visit, and then when she writes again that the trip is off, not to be rescheduled until after Frank had passed away.

You know, a scenario like this could not happen today in the internet age. We can find and purchase almost any book, in or out of print, online. These were real people, Helene Hanff and Frank Doel. Hanff is the one who wrote the original book upon which the play and screenplay were based.

http://www.84charingcrossroad.co.uk/

http://freespace.virgin.net/angela.garry/hanff.html
WisconsinMark

Post by WisconsinMark »

I think this might be my favorite Anthony Hopkins performance, and Anne Bancroft is equally incredible. A well-cast movie is a joy forever, and these two stars couldn't be better suited to their roles. I also can't think of another movie that better conveys the joy of books. It's a lovable film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This is one movie that played so well after having read the book - in fact, they couldn't have adapted it any better in my viewpoint. It must be the best adaptation of a book ever done. The book is a very short scrapbook of letters by Helene Hanff over the years to the employees at the bookstore, particularly the chief buyer, Frank Doel.

I was not looking forward to seeing the movie when someone suggested renting it, because I didn't want to spoil my fond impression of the book. But the movie did incredibly well, sticking to the original book's format. It is funny, fresh and energetic. You wouldn't think there could be such energy in a compilation of letters, but there is, mainly because Helene Hanff is a whirlwind of a character. It is also heartachingly sad. The movie is redeemed by a story that never sinks to a "Hollywood" ending or resolution. The real story is about how two truly lovely, lonely people develop a bond from across the sea with only words passing between them. But oh, how powerful words are.....