Letter from an Unknown Woman

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Maricatrin

Re: Letter from an Unknown Woman

Post by Maricatrin »

moirafinnie wrote:Mary-Kate, your videos are a joy to view and hear. Any time you would like to post more here, I think you have a ready and appreciative audience.

Aw, thanks again. :oops: My very latest is for the Alastair Sim Christmas Carol ... it's almost done, but I intend/hope to save it for Christmas.

And I'm glad you posted all those links on the Youtube thread, right now I'm checking out some of Miss G's adorable cat videos. Loooove kitty cats. :D
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

By the way, Olive is releasing Letter from an Unknown Woman on Blu-ray/DVD on October 16.

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “LOLA MONTES” AND “THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE...”
FIRST TIME ON DVD AND Blu-ray©
REMASTERED IN HD FROM AN ARCHIVAL 35MM FINEGRAIN PRINT

JOAN FONTAINE | LOUIS JOURDAN
LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948)
Directed by MAX OPHULS ( LA RONDE) | Written by HOWARD KOCH ( CASABLANCA)

PREBOOK 9/18/12 STREET 10/16/12

DVD UPC# 887090046701 CAT# OF467 $24.95srp
BLU-RAY UPC# 887090046800 CAT# OF468 $29.95 srp

From Max Ophüls, the legendary director of The Earrings of Madame de… comes this deeply moving, timeless tale of love and obsession. In early 20th century Vienna, Stefan Brand (Louis Jourdan) is in the process of fleeing Vienna on the eve of a duel he wants no part of, however before he can do so, he receives an anonymous Letter From an Unknown Woman. Stefan is deeply moved by what he reads and starts to realize that the letter’s author is Lisa Berndl (Joan Fontaine), a young woman he’s known, but disregarded for most of his life. Screenplay by Howard Koch (Casablanca) and produced by John Houseman (Sorry, Wrong Number).

1948 | B&W | 86 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio

JOAN FONTAINE LOUIS JOURDAN in “LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN” with MADY CHRISTIANS MARCEL JOURNET ART SMITH CAROL YORKE
screenplay by HOWARD KOCH from the story by STEFAN ZWEIG produced by JOHN HOUSEMAN directed by MAX OPHULS
LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN © 1948 MELANGE PICTURES LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great news for the American market Paula :D I don't think it will be an improvement over the European DVD release, which is perfect. I bet Olive will be using that same print.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Tag Gallagher's brilliant video essay on this film is now available for viewing on YouTube:

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

oooh, goodie! I love Tag! He really gets to the heart of things in a way no one else does. I can't remember if I have this one or not, but I can't wait to watch it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i saw a forum thread at mubi.com that declared tag the greatest film critic and i'm inclined to agree. i'm not a follower of critics but he is totally different to me, in a different class altogether. he's a film appreciation class in himself, the kind i would enjoy and learn so much from. he is extremely generous, too, about his work. his books are mostly out of print and he makes them available for free download. i dont' think he has ever had a press agent and he's not into thumbs up/down type reviewing. but i'm glad i discovered his work, it has taught me a lot and encouraged me to look at filmmakers I would otherwise not have appreciated as much (Rossellini, for example).
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, he is in a class by himself, more of an appreciater, or a teacher, than a film CRITIC, per se. He looks for deeper meaning, and makes you feel like watching a film isn't just a foolish occupation, but something more meaningful, like a search for truth.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

perfectly said! i never feel "lectured" either, as I sometimes do when reading critical essays. though i admit he sends me scurrying to the dictionary more than most! :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Me too. :D
CineMaven

LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN - REVISITED

Post by CineMaven »

:lol: Ro...we'll be waiting for you here whenever you are ready: :lol:

JOAN FONTAINE IN “LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN”

Louis Jourdan and Joan Fontaine

I’ve seen some devastating endings ( “Scarlet Street” comes to mind ) in my movie-watching lifetime, but I was absolutely and positively stunned by this movie and the circular way justice weaves through this tale. Whew!! I am still shaking my head.

Ro, I would wholeheartedly recommend and urge you to seek out and watch "Letter From An Unknown Woman." This film is excellent, with good performances by Jourdan and Fontaine.
[u][color=#FF0000]ROHANAKA[/color][/u] wrote:...And you have me wanting to check out Letter From an Unknown Woman.. it sounds like one I need to look into!
[u][color=#804080]MISS[/color][/u] [u][color=#804080]GODDESS[/color][/u] wrote:oh, you should do yourself a favor and see it, Ro. it's one of the best movies ever, really.
[u][color=#004080]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#004080]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Ro, I second MissG's recommendation of Letter from an Unknown Woman.
[u][color=#FF0000]ChiO[/color][/u] wrote:I call the motion: Ro, you must see LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN
[u]ROHANAKA[/u] wrote:I started it last night and Miss Maven, you are right.. it is a great suggestion for The Talking Dead" category. ha. Also looks like maybe it will be a good "tragic heroine" one too.. but will have to see because I had to give up after about a third of the way into the story, and have not finished it yet. (Bah! what can I say... I am getting old and it was late and I was having a hard time staying awake (no reflection on the story.. just on my old feeble eyelids not wanting to stay open) So I will hope to finish the rest of it soon and then will try to report in where you suggested.

But... um.. ha..you may not want to read it. (gulp)

Because alas.. I must confess.. Miss Maven.. Miss G.. Ms Favell.. I am already worried. I fear I may have a different take on poor Lisa, already. (we'll see how the story plays out.. I am hoping for a turn around for me.. but OH me.. based on what I saw already.. ha. THAT girl needs some parental counseling) ha.
:D
[u][color=#FF0000]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#FF0000]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:...As for Letter from an Unknown Woman, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to view Lisa. It's very much reliant on what you bring to the movie. I think that's one of the most amazing aspects of the film.
Yeah. We'll talk about it, nice and friendly like. Yeah.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This should be good. :D
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Heh heh heh. Your Elizabeth avatar is beautiful, Miss G. :)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:Heh heh heh. Your Elizabeth avatar is beautiful, Miss G. :)
she's a beauty, alright.
-- Will Rogers
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Well, Miss Maven (Ms Favell, Miss G.. and Mr. ChiO,) May I just say "Wowsa". Thanks very much for the recommendation on this one. I am glad to have seen it, though I must confess to you it was not at all what I was expecting.. and yet, I think that it makes it all the more intriguing. It is NOT such an "easy" wrap up for these characters.. it is NOT such a "mushy love story" to be told here.

It's complicated.. that is certainly ONE word you could say for it. (but did I mention wowsa??) It is utterly beautiful in the way it was filmed.. the images are stunning and I have to say that Miss Fontaine literally takes your breath away. And I like that the story is not so "romantic" although it IS very much a "romanticized" tale.

But oh me.. did I also mention it was COMPLICATED??? I have only had time to just briefly skim over the comments in this thread so would like more time to look over what folks have said before I post much more.. but HEY.. Miss Maven.. ha.. just judging from the little I have read, perhaps I WON'T be quite so lonely on my mountain top afterall. This was NOT the movie I was expecting.. and in my short perusal of the posts here, I have seen a few comments that seem to say pretty much what I was feeling too... about how her choices were not in her own best interest.. and how she really gave up everything for someone who never gave her much more than a passing thought. Goodness me.. complicated indeed!

So I will reread everyone's post better before I say TOO much more.. but for now, I would like to comment on two things that really caught my attention as I was watching.

First of all.. if you want to know what this film is about, ultimately.. this picture (taken in context) says it all:

(SPOILER alert)
Because she is literally worshiping at the feet of the "god" she created for herself.. in all his glory. But alas.. he has clay feet.. and she only discovers it TOO late.. Too late for her.. too late for her son.. and too late for her husband too (a man I believe DID honestly love and care for her)

And second.. by the time I realized that the object of her devotion was NOT coming back on that train to her any time soon .. well. for some reason.. ha. I could no longer ignore the sound of The DOOBIE BROTHERS ringing in my ears. Because if this movie had a modern day theme song.. it would be THIS one (of course you have to change the words a little to make them fit... change the "he" for "she" and the "her" for "his" but you get the idea... )

And you have to understand.. by saying this.. I am in no way trying to be funny. Because as much as I LIKE this song.. from the very first time I heard it way back in the 1970's it always made me feel a bit sad as I have always thought how truly tragic the words are. And they apply so well to this story.. Stefan had a place in HER life.. but she never made him "think twice" Aghh.. maybe Michael McDonald (and Kenny Loggins) watched this movie before they sat down to write this song.. ha.

Anyway.. I just kept hearing it play in the background of my mind.. pretty much from the moment she first sneaks into his apartment.. all through the moment when she turns down the young Lieutenant.. and even later on... when her husband (who had been nothing but kind to her and her son) asks her "Are you happy?" and she answers "Why shouldn't I be?"

And meanwhile, all I could think of (besides this song) was Why COULDN'T you be?? Alas.

Oh me.. and then when she DOES figure it out.. and realizes what she has given up.. for someone who can't even remember her name.. what a sad moment it is, indeed.

Anyway... I will hope to come back and read more of the comments a bit more thoroughly and hope to say a bit more.. but I just wanted to say THANKS for now, for the movie tip, everyone. It really was something. Can't say it left me feeling all "warm and happy" on the inside when it was over.. but I still am glad to have seen it, all the same. It was a very tragic and disturbing story to be sure.. and yet so beautiful in all its tragedy.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've read your post Ro.

I know you may not be done yet, but what a good start.

What a good middle.

What a good finish.

Even though you intend to add a little more to your thoughts at another time, I agree with all you wrote above. The more and more I watch and love these great ol' classics, the more I've come to the conclusion that movies are about reflecting life back to us. Movies reflect the good noble right things we do..and the utterly foolish things we do. Your example of The Doobie Brothers is right on time and a great point! I know the song, but I've not ever really known the lyrics well. Hearing and reading ( watching a different Doobie version with lyrics ) what the Brothers sang really opened my eyes. Isn't it a sad waste of a person's life to make up the relationship in their head, all by themselves. Is it even the other person's fault that you mooned and dreamed over that "him" while he was just going about his life, with his own thoughts. Of course, I do think Jourdan willingly drank in all her adoration for him.

This movie shows me what it looks like when you do that. ( "This is what it looks like when a person doesn't face the reality of her situation." ) It shows me what it looks like rather than "this is what will happen to you if you don't yadda yadda yadda." I do hope I'm making clear the big difference in those two things. One shows us, and the other is judgmental. Ro, that shot you posted of Joanie does spell it all out in a nutshell. See what it looks like? You at his feet ( Not you you as in Rohanaka you, but you in the universal sense. ) If people had THAT image in their head, maybe they'd get up from the floor, dust off their corset and say "I'm outta here, buddy!" ( :lol: ) But we must SEE ourselves like that. One of the lines in the Doobie Brothers' song really stands out for me, and I suspect it's the basis of all human foibles:

"What SEEMS to be, is always better than NOTHING."

I'd say don't settle for what seems to be or you will have nothing.