2011 TCM Festival

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

kingrat wrote:Someone in the audience asked about the possibility of having the Hollywood series brought out on DVD. As some of you know, the issue is getting permissions again for the film clips because the contracts didn't include the right of reproduction in future media. Mr. Brownlow and Scott McGee looked at each other and there was a noncommittal response. I don't think it's just wishful thinking on my part that they behaved exactly as if TCM is working on this problem now.
I had the honor of meeting Mr. Brownlow when he was in San Francisco for the Silent Film Festival last summer. I asked him about the possibility of seeing Hollywood again soon, and he did not sound hopeful. He described some of the nightmare of trying get it re-released and the years of agony to [so far] no avail. Not to burst a bubble, but... well, time will tell.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by Lzcutter »

Kingrat,

Thanks for clearing up who was sitting with us!! So glad to hear it was you as I was pretty positive it was. Next year I shall take notes on that, too! Why do I not remember Mrs. Maltin walking back with us after The Cameraman? I must have been engrossed in another conversation.

And I agree, there was definitely some sort of look between Scott McGee and Mr. Brownlow when the question was asked about Hollywood. Another TCM staffer sitting in the chairs in front of our booth got very excited as well.

From the way Mr. Brownlow was talking, it sounds like Paramount is the major obstacle when it comes to licensing film clips. Maybe, just maybe, if TCM is involved, they can get Paramount to play nice and rethink the price for the licensing fees.

If nothing else, we can all hope.

Hoping, hoping, hoping.......
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese