2011 TCM Festival

Discussion of programming on TCM.
feaito

Re: 2011 TCM Festival

Post by feaito »

Thanks for all the information Lynn. With your account and Theresa's it's almost as having been there. I'm waiting for the account of a friend of mine from CT who became a Classic Film fan due to my good influence...ahem! :wink:

I think I'll never be able to be there, due to fact that I work as staff-lawyer for a Stock Company; in Chile the Annual Stockholders' Meetings take place around the same time than the Festival (in April), and it involves a lot work before and after. I'll have to pursue another career in order to go to TCM's 2012 Festival (the year of the MAYAS!!) :?:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

feaito wrote:Thanks for all the information Lynn. With your account and Theresa's it's almost as having been there. I'm waiting for the account of a friend of mine from CT who became a Classic Film fan due to my good influence...ahem! :wink:

I think I'll never be able to be there, due to fact that I work as staff-lawyer for a Stock Company; in Chile the Annual Stockholders' Meetings take place around the same time than the Festival (in April), and it involves a lot work before and after. I'll have to pursue another career in order to go to TCM's 2012 Festival (the year of the MAYAS!!) :?:
Do you think you could ever go on the just announced TCM cruise this December, Fernando?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

That month is better for me, but it depends on what the Cruise will be all about and the US$$ involved :wink:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fe and Moira,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I hope everyone is enjoying reading about my Festival happenings. I will post more recaps tomorrow night and finish them up over the weekend!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

Keep them coming Lynn! :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

While I work on the next round of recaps, here's a short video I cut.

Hope you enjoy it!

[youtube][/youtube]
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

feaito

Post by feaito »

Great job Lynn!! Loved it. :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fe,

I'm so glad! Thank you for the kind words! It was a lot of fun to cut! MrCutter did all most all of the videography (I did a bit and you can tell 'cuz it's shakey) and took 90% of the photos. He has a good eye, don't you think?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes indeed, thanks for sharing....did I see Mr. Rubini?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

did I see Mr. Rubini?
You did, indeed!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Loved the video, but had to stop the clip whenever anyone familiar showed up. I thought Marge Champion looked wonderful! Did you get to speak to Walter Mirisch? I thought I remembered that you enjoyed his book very much, Lynn.

Where was Marco/Moraldo?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Mr. Mirisch. He was at West Side Story and I was at Fantasia. I thank the TCM photographer who got that great snap of him.

I do wish TCM would have a discussion with him at Club TCM next year. He is a great storyteller!

And thank you for the kind words.

Yes, that is Moraldo.

He seems to have a matching hat for his variety of wardrobe!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lzcutter wrote:While I work on the next round of recaps, here's a short video I cut.

Hope you enjoy it!

[youtube][/youtube]
I've always wanted to be in a movie with Marge Champion and Julie Andrews. Thanks! Moira, you can see me waving to the SSO at 0:44!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

It's wonderful, Lynn! I love it! And our very own Moraldo...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

"Thanks to Charlie and a lot of people, right here, right now it all comes together." Robert O at the screening of The Constant Nymph.

Friday morning of the Festival.

It was hard to wake up this morning. Last year, waking up wasn't this hard. Must have the adrenalin of it being the first year and not knowing what to expect. I chose The Constant Nymph because so many people here like it and it has been tied up in rights issues for so long. The other choice was Becket with a discussion with Peter O'Toole.

Off to the Nymph. Waiting to cross the street is Robert O. We get a chance to talk as the light changes and we cross the street. We part as he goes off with his two good looking handlers and I head towards the Chinese multiplex. The first big shock for this Festival is the number of people standing in line. Last year, I could roll out of bed and get in line, no problem. This year, the crowd is subtly telling me, it's going to be harder this year! I make a mental note about getting in line early this year.

Shannon Clute, of the Brand Marketing department, introduces himself. He reminds everyone to turn off their cell phones (which will continue to be a problem at screenings through the weekend despite this being repeated at EVERY screening and EVERY panel), not to text or Facebook during the film, not to take pictures, etc. "Turn off the small screen so we can enjoy the big screen."

Robert O comes out to a rousing ovation. He is a big fan of this film.

"This is the one for me to look forward to."

He tells the audience that TCM has been working on getting the rights worked out since "we went on the air almost 18 years ago."

The problem stems from both the book and the play and the fact that Warners only had the rights for five years, expiring in 1948. Then, Warners forgot to renew the rights.

But, "Thanks to Charlie and a lot of people, right here, right now it all comes together."

He talks about how wonderful Joan Fontaine is in this film and he tells the audience, the film IS coming to TCM.

He brings up the whole Fontaine at the Festival issue and tells the audience, "She made it very clear she has no interest in doing public things and no interest in coming to Hollywood."

Original casting included Joan Leslie and Errol Flynn. Then, Errol and Olivia. Finally, it was Joan and Charles Boyer.

"You picked a good one" he tells the audience before leaving the stage.

The film starts out promising and Joan Fontaine is terrific as a young teen-ager in the Swiss mountains. I am liking the film.

Then, Charles Boyer has a temper tantrum. Not good. He is playing someone older than the girls, much older. He's an artist who has lost his way but this temper tantrum is all about him. I am not impressed. I wanted someone to slap him and tell him to grow the freak up. No one did.

Then, Boyer meets Alexis Smith and the story shifts from the Swiss Alps to London and with it goes the heart of the film. Luckily, Charles Coburn is there, Dame May Whitty and Peter Lorre. And best of all, Eduardo Ciannelli as Roberto, the servant.

Charles Coburn only calls him "Robert O" and each time he bellows, "Robert O" the audience laughs.

Unfortunately for me, the story falls apart in London and becomes a tragic version of The Major and the Minor with Joan even wearing a hat and coat that recalls Ginger Rogers in Major.

I end up wishing I had gone to Becket. But, I appear to be the only one as the audience was loving this film.

The print looks great! After years of murky bootleg copies, I think many of you will love the quality when it comes to TCM.

I bolt from the theater to meet up with Jon for Silly Symphonies.
Lynn in Lake Balboa