Hats in Movies

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Uncle Stevie

Re: Hats in Movies

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Bump

Edit postDelete postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Hats in Movies
by Uncle Stevie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Please help me. I have a wonderful hat picture to post but I do not know how. Please help me.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Uncle Stevie,

I use an outside website like photobucket, tinypic, imageshack, or flickr. These have free image hosting. I went to one of these websites and signed up and then they tell you how to post your pictures through them. If someone has a better way, please feel free to jump in and explain. I'm sorry i can't be more specific. I barely know how it works myself. :)
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I just joined Photobucket and uploaded my picture there. Now I do not know how to get it to SSO.
Uncle Stevie

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Deanna Durbin 1st marriage. 900 in attendance with almost every movie star known.
Uncle Stevie

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awesome pic, Uncle Stevie! Well worth the wait.
klondike

Post by klondike »

2 cool 4 school, Stevie!
I'm almost thinkin' that might just be a certain redhaired mambo-siren with the initials RH there on the far left . . but I'm probably wrong . . :?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought it was Virginia Grey,but I think you are right, Klonny.

IS it Ann Rutherford in peach to the right of the bride?
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Part of the Bridal Party from left to right: Anne Gwynne, Helen Parish, Mrs. Thomas King, Anne Shirley, Mrs. Marvin Bradley, Gene Read, and Mrs. Clarence Heckman:

Guests include Eddie Cantor, Charles Boyer, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Marlene Dietrich, Melvyn Douglas, Franchot Tone, Adolph Menjou, Basil Rathbone, Irene Rich, Gail Patrick, Walter Brennan, Gloria Jean, Andy Devine, Kay Francis, Ray Milland, Mrs. James Stack with her son, Robert. Rosalind Russell with Freddie Brisson. Joyce Hunter with Mischa Auer,
Mrs. Ferman Schoonover with her daughter, Gloria Jean. Sheila Ryan with Mickey Rooney. Dave Rose with Judy Garland, and many other well known stars..
Uncle Stevie

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I should have known it was Anne Shirley - though I did see Ann Rutherford with blonde-ish hair the other day, so I got confused.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I love hats in the movies, but get annoyed at those mid-30s hats that look like they were stolen from a pilgrim.

I have a couple of the little hats with tiny veils and I'm wondering if they could make a 40ish gal look 30ish since the veil would disguse the eye crinkles. Unfortunately, since ones vision gets worse around that age I'm not sure a filter of netting would help!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote:I'm wondering if they could make a 40ish gal look 30ish since the veil would disguse the eye crinkles.
Birdy Dear, I may be just one lone rider crossing the IMHO frontier, but 'eye crinkles' (often more coarsely known as crows' feet), have always made my heart go giddy-up, whether on a Lolita, or a Mrs. Robinson, or that gal across the street who just stepped out of a Gail Garnett song.
Ever notice that real women in the Hollywood of the last 25 / 30 years, like Anjelica Huston, & Christine Lahti, & Catherine Keener, & Selah Ward, & Helen Mirren, & Wanda deJesus, & Kyra Sedgwick, etc., don't seem concerned about those little tributaries of passion & humor that filigree around their eyes?
Anyway, just my opinion.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You bring up a good point, Birdy. I really hate the Ninotchka tube hats women started wearing in the late thirties, and also the Munchkin hats that women wore at the same time (see "The Women" fashion show section) make me laugh.

I think a 40ish woman would look very stylish indeed with netting.

Alice Brady
Joan Blondell
Joan Crawford
Joan Bennett
Ava Gardner
Gloria Swanson
Gene Tierney
Corinne Griffith
Joan and Constance Bennett
Clara Bow
Carole Landis
Barbara Stanwyck
Bebe Daniels
Barbara Stanwyck
Last edited by JackFavell on January 3rd, 2011, 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

WOW! What a great collection of pics.
Uncle Stevie

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like women in hats. :)

I also like scarves from the teens and twenties. I seem to have a lot of pictures like the Clara Bow one, it's a look I really love.

And I love picture hats:

Ann Sheridan
Ann Miller
Alice Joyce
Anita Page
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What beautiful pictures Wendy. I wouldn't have recognised Clara Bow, in most of her pictures she's usually smiling her lovely smile.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin