Roach Clips - Hal Roach Comedy Shorts

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: Roach Clips - Hal Roach Comedy Shorts

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:"Two peas in a pod-uh" has always been a bit of a catch phrase in our house. Did you get to record "Way Out West"? Some funny bits and a nice little dance from Stan and Babe. There is even a little quartet of singers that if memory serves me right, includes Chill Wills.

"Way Out West" is one of the Stan & Ollies I remember the most clearly from childhood. Boy, this month has been really good I must say. Several movies I haven't seen in ages, and a couple of new ones (Phantom Lady and Lucky Jordan tonight)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My favorite scene in "Way Out West" is when they try and get the gold mine map from the boys. They chase Ollie all over the room like it was a football match and when the woman discovers that Stan is ticklish well it turns in to the best "laughing" bit after "Blotto." It helped Stan had a great laugh too.

There is even an homage to "It Happened One Night" and the famous hitchhiking scene early on in the film.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:My favorite scene in "Way Out West" is when they try and get the gold mine map from the boys. They chase Ollie all over the room like it was a football match and when the woman discovers that Stan is ticklish well it turns in to the best "laughing" bit after "Blotto." It helped Stan had a great laugh too.
i love Stanley's laugh and how he cries. wonderful.
There is even an homage to "It Happened One Night" and the famous hitchhiking scene early on in the film.
I remember that. What a pair.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Way Out West, and it is one that I already had recorded, I think...I hope! The dance generally makes me get up and start dancing along, then I cry. It's just so beautiful.

I also love when Ollie drops into the river unexpectedly.

Last night during Sons of the Desert, Stanley got the biggest laugh from Alice, when it finally dawned on him just what that newspaper headline meant - the wives were on their way back! Oh, she howled at his reaction. Second biggest laugh was Mae Busch falling into the foot bath. Part of the joy Alice gets from L&H lately is from predicting what will happen next. She gets such a kick out of it, and it makes her feel good, because she is always right.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The beauty of Alice's reaction is that it is what they wanted. It is fun knowing what is coming. The interesting part is how do they do it and what is their reaction to it.

In "Towed In A Hole," one of my bride's favorites, when Ollie goes up the mast of their boat to paint it you know he is coming down the hard way. He doesn't know it but we do. It is only a matter of time and method. But that is only one of many examples. Of course it helps that she is so smart.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The beauty of Alice's reaction is that it is what they wanted. It is fun knowing what is coming. The interesting part is how do they do it and what is their reaction to it.
That is so true! And it's why they will always be popular. It's just as funny when you know, if not funnier.

I could kick myself - I didn't realize Bonnie Scotland was on. D'oh!

I