The Uninvited

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The Uninvited

Post by mrsl »

I've recommended this one before a couple of times, and it really should go in the Sci-fi thread, but we have new members coming in all the time, and I want as many people as possible to see how scary, funny, edge of the seat, a movie can be without using millions of dollars of CGI effects. Scary: some parts, using camera, sound, and lighting will have you scooching around on your seat wondering what is coming next. Funny: some of the back and forth banter between Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey as brother and sister is priceless, and should not be missed. Edge of the seat: I dare you to not have some reaction to Ray's actions on his first night staying and sleeping in the house, especially considering his sister has been there alone for weeks already.

It's on at 9:15 Chicago time, so I guess that would be 10:15 other places, set your DIVO, or DVR, or whatever you have, you won't be disappointed.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Re: The Uninvited

Post by feaito »

This is one of the best suspense-mystery films I have ever seen, top of the tops!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved that last line!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

It reminded me of "Top of the Pops" the British Pop Music Charts TV program...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

I enjoyed The Uninvitted. Every time I see Ruth Hussey, I realize how much I enjoy her performances, and Ray Milland just kept walking right through his fear. Some of it was pretty spooky! :shock:

I'd never seen this one, and I'm glad Mrsl gave us the alert!
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think "The Uninvited" is my favorite haunted house movie. ("Legend of Hell House" runs it a close second.)

It always amazes me when I see "The Uninvited" that the music became the song "Stella by Starlight." It almost distracts me.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Excellent points Mike & Christy....Ruth Hussey is fabulous as Milland's sister. Love her character. She was a very fine actress; other favorite roles as Jimmy Stewart's colleague in "Philadelphia Story" and as Bob Young's wife in Vidor's "H.M. Pulham Esq."...a huge talent.

And yes... When I first saw it and realized that "Stella by Starlight" was part of the film's soundtrack...it was so strange to relate the -standard- song that it became, with this spooky film...
Last edited by feaito on February 13th, 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

SueSue:

It's hard for me to believe you had never seen The Uninvited before this. To me it seems to be your type of movie. I love the fact that they use a beautiful Patrician white house as a haunted house instead of the usual gothic. That is not my idea, it was said in another thread that touched on this subject movie.

Ruth Hussey was another one of those quick wit gals like Ann Sheridan and Celeste Holme, but for some reason, she never quite made it to the really big time. She was pretty, a good actress, and handled several different roles, but she never really went for the sexy roles, and that may have been her failing. (not to me, but to directors and casting agents.)

Actually SS, at first I thought you were referring to the last line in the movie where Ray Milland said, "She could have been my mother in law". But top of the tops is cute. In case nobody realized it, this movie was one of those movies that I have seen innumerable times, and can basically quote most of the lines. I'm so glad you liked it though.
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

I enjoyed this movie immensely when I first viewed it, and yet a little more the second & third time . . and yet I do see it as flawed in one way.
It's the degree of closeness between Milland & his sister - they are just so chipper & droll & dovey to one another, so focused on their lives together, and finding a house to share . . I don't know, they're almost clingy with each other - to the extent that, when their individual new relationships begin, those potential romantic partners seem almost intrusive . . scripted or not, it somehow reminds me of the discomfort I used to feel watching Donny & Marie Osmond, back in the day . . :|
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ruth Hussey is probably at the top of my list of underrated actresses. She's got that lovely voice, and can say a line like "Joe Smith, 1928" with so much rueful irony that it always takes my breath away. The sadder but wiser girl.

I love The Uninvited. Would I change places with Hussey in a heartbeat! She's gonna end up with the dashing older doctor in a Hollywood British manor house or cottage somewhere nearby after the movie is over! She's got the life I always wanted!And most important, she gets to keep Robbie.

Anne, I have done a bit of research on Hussey, she was my first pick for a Brunettes thread I started way back at the other site. The studio used her as leverage against Myrna Loy, to keep her in line, threatening to use Hussey instead. I am quite sure she got all the roles Loy turned down.
Anyway, Hussey actually lived out a very happy life, and didn't have much ambition as far as Hollywood or her career was concerned. She enjoyed making movies, but was just as happy to spend time doing other things. This is probably why she never "made" it.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Jackie, I would much rather be happy than "make it!"

Mrsl, I appreciate the fact that you believe I am so well-versed....You are a sweetie. But, truth be told, there are still many items on my bucket list! :lol:

And Klonnie, the EXTREME closeness of the siblings was a little distracting, at first, but I guess that added to the spookiness...

Fernando, Stella by Starlight!!! and I didn't recognize it until you pointed it out!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Fernando, Stella by Starlight!!! and I didn't recognize it until you pointed it out!
Christy, Mike pointed it out I only agreed with his opinion, because the same happened to me....
markfp

Post by markfp »

Definitely one of my favorite haunted house films. Probably only second to Robert Wise's THE HAUNTING.

The late author of British film books, Leslie Halliwell, mentions the film in his autobiography "Seats In All Parts" as follows:

"The national critics had unanimously congratulated the producers of 'The Uninvited' for daring not to show the ghosts in some conventional and misty way but to leave them to the viewers imagination. Years later...I discovered the ghosts were in view, all right, and very frighteningly too...the British censor in 1944 had cut them out in order that 'The Uninvited' escape an H (adults only) certificate"

This got me thinking and putting aside the fact, that British censors of that time would actually find the showing of the ghosts so frightening that it would cause them to cut it out, I'd like thoughts on whether the film might actually be better or worse if the ghosts remained unseen.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I think the 'ghost' they used was marvelous. It was visual enough to just give an impression of a person, but it was also 'misty' enough to look surreal and 'ghostly'. The decision to show the ghost only twice during the movie was masterful. Not enough to make you get tired of seeing it, yet enough to give you something to look for again and again; very similar to the viewing of the shark in Jaws. Spielberg says it was because of the failure of the mechanics, but it was really as asset for him.
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think the ghost is quite frightening as shown. Like mrsl said, there is ,just enough suggestion of a woman to scare...the fact that she looks like she is flying toward you hair streaming out behind her is so creepy.... the visual makes me think she is angry and forceful, like a livid Bertha in Jane Eyre. Somehow, I always feel there is a suggestion of an open, howling mouth as well.

But for me the scariest effect is not the ghost. The first time I saw it last year, I nearly jumped out of my seat when the glass went flying into the fireplace. I actually yelled out loud!