April 2011 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: April 2011 Schedule for TCM

Post by charliechaplinfan »

If I click on the link I can only get listings for the UK. Any Charles Boyer movies we haven't seen Wendy?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't found any yet, but I haven't had time to get through all the listings yet...I've got my eye out for Charles! The only one I see so far is Fanny. Or maybe that's this month - I have been looking at February's listings too so I can figure out what I have to record. There are actually a lot of repeats from January and February in the April listings.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

kingrat wrote:Mr. A, thanks for plugging the Tom Courtenay tribute. I've never seen The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner or Private Potter. It's even OK that they're not showing King Rat because they've picked films where Courtenay is the leading man.

Tom Courtenay was so perfectly a type of British working class young man that 1960s directors could use him the way painters use a particular color. They could use James Fox as an upper class man in exactly the same way. Courtenay is such a reliable actor who always gives a strong, honest performance.
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1970), would have been a great addition, but to my knowledge, it has never been shown on TCM. I did place it in the Lost Films thread however:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =30#p56426

I wiould love to see this in its proper aspect ratio (my old fullscreen copy is in sad shape)--perhaps as a double bill with King Rat. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

"Kongo" (1932), "Kitty" (1945) & "Blonde Crazy" (1931).....WOW!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:I haven't found any yet, but I haven't had time to get through all the listings yet...I've got my eye out for Charles! The only one I see so far is Fanny. Or maybe that's this month - I have been looking at February's listings too so I can figure out what I have to record. There are actually a lot of repeats from January and February in the April listings.
I'd love to see When Tomorrow Comes after seeing it on youtube, unfortunately my files corrupted and I lost the film.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o You guys overlooked some things. The April schedule also contains the debut (I assume), of the newly restored SPARROWS (1926) with the Jeffrey Mark Silverman Orchestral score. Not yet on DVD. But it is on early Friday morning, not during Silent Sunday Nights. Back to back double bill of Mary Pickford, with a rebroadcast of THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL from November.

TCM used to run SPARROWS years ago in the Killiam version with a Bill Perry piano score. They never showed the Gaylord Carter scored version, which was the previous version on DVD from Milestone.

LAILA (1929) on the 3rd of the month, is a brand new restoration forth coming from Flicker Alley. This will certainly be a TCM and probably Television Premier. I have heard great things about the movie. The film is from Norway.

They are also running THE CALL OF THE FLESH (1930) an early talkie with Ramon Novarro, that features the final screen appearance of Renee Adoree. Not a premier, but in the almost 12 full years that I have had TCM, I have never seen this movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry to hear about your copy of When Tomorrow Comes, Alison! I will start looking for a copy, and will definitely keep my eye out for it on TCM. So far I only see Algiers and Fanny for April. And in the months coming before, it's Conquest, All This and Heaven Too, and Red Headed Woman.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw "Call of the Flesh" last year and notwithstanding its flaws, it was very enjoyable and I liked it much more than Novarro's "In Gay Madrid" from that same year; "Devil-May-Care" (1929) is also quite amusing. In these three films Novarro co-starred with beautiful Dorothy Jordan.