Three Colors: Red (1994)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Three Colors: Red (1994)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A romance for the unromantic, Krzysztof Kieslowski's final film and closing movement of his Three Colors (including Blue [1993] and White [1994]) trilogy is perhaps his most beautiful. For those who might be suspicious of modern movies, this is definitely one that should not be missed! Showing early this morning (2/9).
JackFavell

Re: Three Colors: Red (1994)

Post by JackFavell »

I remember liking Red and White much better than Blue. Definitely must-see movies, for people who like to think.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That's funny, I liked Blue with Juliette Binoche wandering in Paris with only her grief as a constant companion. Maybe it was just me at the time. I've seen parts of Red but never in its entirety. I recorded it and look forward to seeing it asap. White is, from what I understand from reviews, very engaging too. There's an article about Krzysztof Kieslowski's trilogy and Red in particular, here by the former Boston Globe critic, Jay Carr:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=87822&category=Articles
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've only watched Blue and I didn't like it although I constantly see these films raved about. Maybe it's time to try them again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

[youtube][/youtube]
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

caught "Red" by chance this a.m. Fascinating film, beautifully photographed. After reading of the other 2 am now anxious to see those also
P.S. "woman in Dunes" was intriguing also. It's for a chance to see unusual films like these that I really appreciate TCM programming.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ziggy 6708 wrote:caught "Red" by chance this a.m. Fascinating film, beautifully photographed. After reading of the other 2 am now anxious to see those also
P.S. "woman in Dunes" was intriguing also. It's for a chance to see unusual films like these that I really appreciate TCM programming.
You also might enjoy The Decalogue (1988), a series of one-hour films based on the Ten Commandments and made for Polish TV.
charliechaplinfan

If Jean-Louis Trintignant is in Red that's reason enough for me to rent it. I find him a fascinating actor.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I saw all three films in theaters back in the '90s. Blue was my absolute favorite, followed by White. Red I can barely remember at all, which must mean something -- although I do like Trintignant, so I'm surprised I've forgotten it. :?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They are all very quiet, subtle and maybe even vague movies, with little dialogue to stand out. Things happen but the director leaves you to draw your own conclusions. I thought that seeing that clip from Red, I would remember it better. I had to watch through to the end to see out what happened! Then I "remembered" it. :D
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

kingrat wrote:Mr. Arkadin, thanks for putting us on Red alert. Looks like The Decalogueand The Double Life of Veronique need to be added to my must-see list.
I had forgotten The Double Life of Veronique (1991), also starring Irene Jacob. Another great movie with lots of parallels to the Three Color Trilogy.

The Decalogue is a staggering work that I think you'll love. I'm working on a project that includes it, so I really can't discuss it here, but these little movies were my introduction to Kieslowski and I've been a fan ever since.

Kino used to have a box set of some of the lesser known films, but I think it might be OOP (it is no longer listed at their website). It is showing up on Amazon however--hold on for the sticker shock:

A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love are slightly longer versions of the one hour Decalogue V and Decalogue VI movies.
charliechaplinfan

I watched Three Colours Red yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised, despite remembering Blue, my first foreign movie as a disappointment I really enjoyed this movie, perhaps my tastes have matured as I've watched more movies, I''m going to tackle Blue again and try White. I found Red a gentle movie about the uglier side of human nature, the loneliness, the eavesdropping, to me the judge was taking noseiness to an illegal degree but Irene was repelled but I felt the slight interest that would probably picque most of us, espescially when he told her about his neighbour who he suspected of being a drug dealer. The developing relationship between the judge and the model was subtley done, it didn't feel at all scripted and was a delight, the ending, the judge who cared about no one clutching his chair watching the rescue unfold as if his very life depended on it. The end clip of the model reflecting the billboard. Despite all this I feel there was something ghostly about the judge, his existence propelled almost a parallel wife for Valentin, was he real? Was he the guy who got cheated on given another chance. I love the films were it's open to the viewers interpretation.

Jean Louis Trintignant continues to impress me as an actor, how his judge although repellant was at first intriguing and then accepting human kindness and companionship and becoming loveable.

I'm going to rent some more works by Kieslowski.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I might be the oddity to this thread in that I appreciated the entire Three Colors Trilogy and saw all three films twice, but damn if I can ever remember anything about any of them to discuss when someone brings them up. I think they're so overwhelming that I just can't quite keep everything together in my head. I do remember the way in which Kieslowski uses music in Blue, and that was one of the things I loved about it.

I do think the first film in The Decalogue set is the best Christian-themed film I've ever seen.