Three Colors: Red (1994)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MichiganJ

Re: Three Colors: Red (1994)

Post by MichiganJ »

srowley75 wrote:I might be the oddity to this thread in that I appreciated the entire Three Colors Trilogy and saw all three films twice, but damn if I can ever remember anything about any of them to discuss when someone brings them up. I think they're so overwhelming that I just can't quite keep everything together in my head. I do remember the way in which Kieslowski uses music in Blue, and that was one of the things I loved about it.
For me there is at least one image in each Kieslowski film that has stayed with me. For Red it is when the workmen take down that glorious billboard of Irene Jacob. In Blue it's when Juliette Binoche is walking along the sidewalk, dragging her closed fist along the stone wall (which, apparently she actually did!); and for White, well it's Julie Delpy.

I'm not sure, but I think Veronique is my favorite Kieslowski film, and music plays a very important part there, too.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

Re: Three Colors: Red (1994)

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched A Short Film About Love, I really liked this movie, despite it being a rather strange relationship. Tomas works in a post office and keeps delivering a postal notice to Magda's box just so she will come into the post office where he works. He lives in the flat opposite and spends his nights watching Magda who I think he says 'spreads it around a bit' When Magda finds out about his infactuation, she doesn't react in horror but curiousity, when a 'date' between then ends in a humiliating manner for Tomas she is immediately struck with regret and tries to contact him. she later discovers that he has attempted suicide and has been hospitalised. It's a strange relationship but handled quite beautifully, the ending was lovely.

I think this is my favorite so far.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin