MissGoddess

June 2011 TCM Schedule Up

Post by MissGoddess »

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Re: June 2011 TCM Schedule Up

Post by jdb1 »

MissG, I can't get this link to work. From the lack of responses, I'm wondering if others are having the same trouble.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't either - I'm guessing there's a letter missing or something. I've had that happen before when posting a link, part of it disappears when posting.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think that the accessibility of the schedule has been affected by the upgrade that occurred overnight on the TCM website. Perhaps the info that was previously there will become available again as the kinks are worked out of the new setup.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

April's link doesn't highlight for me but when I tried to post it to where it would light up it took me to a nonworking page. The original link at TCM isn't working either.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Sorry guys, I think the upgrade affected this somehow. I have no idea how to get to the June schedule as it is.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't want to complain about the upgrade yet. But I'm thinking about it!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Are there others who are having as much trouble with the new TCM web design as I'm having? I cant find anything.

There's just so darned much there. I know it's the thing now for everyone to have huge computer monitors and have ten or twelve images working at once, but I'm having a problem understanding the new layout, and the way all the information is splayed all over the screen seems very disorganized to me. And then you have to click through more times than before, and as of now I seem to be clicking in vain -- nothing opens. It's the same reason I try to avoid going to our local mega-market: it takes 45 minutes to buy a loaf of bread there because you have to walk up and down two or three dozen aisles to get where you want to go. It's all so distracting where it should be inviting. I'm already suffering from Mouse Fatigue.

It's the 21st Century compulsion to complicate technology that' supposed to be making things easier, just because you can. I'm hoping that once the kinks are ironed out, the website won't look so -- so --- well, there's a word for it in Yiddish: ongepotchke.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If it's any consolation, I hate the new format. You listed all the reasons.

One bright spot - they have been having non-stop complaints over on the boards, so it's possible that they will actually listen and try to implement changes to get back what they had before. Duh.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

What goes on over there? Wasn't there a big negative response a few years ago when they changed the color scheme? I don't remember what it was changed to, but I do remember thinking it was ugly. And they backed down and made it nice again.

There's change for the better, and then there's just change for change's sake. I can understand TCM wanting to ply its users with more information, but they'll have to figure out how to do it in a more a palatable way. It seems to me they've just overloaded themselves in an effort to share as much information as possible. Maybe they need companion sites for some parts, as they do for the Morlocks. A who's in the cast site, for example. IMO, they've really messed up the schedule format. I thought the original was nice and clear, and easy to read and follow. They are probably really gumming up the works with the DVD sales site, but that must be a revenue-generator and they'd likely not want to spin that off from the main avenue.

Too much stuff in too little space, and the sad part is that all of the stuff is worth looking at, but we can't see it.

Anybody able to find the June schedule yet?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with everything you said, there should be clickable separate pages for all of those extras. And the sad part is, there are members over at the other site who have been trying to get the same old glitches acknowledged by the web admins and fixed for AT LEAST the last two years, and guess what? Those same glitches are incorporated into the new site, plus a whole lot of new ones. One would think they would have gone in and corrected those problems when they updated. So the bottom line is it's not the actual membership who are important, but the numbers of hits they get from visitors drawn to a flashy looking site. No matter if it is absolutely impossible to navigate or post on.