Tarzan, the Ape Man

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Tarzan, the Ape Man

Post by Lzcutter »

I've been watching TCM all afternoon and evening. I had to stop for dinner and a couple of things so am about a half hour behind on the DVR. I'm watching Tarzan, the Ape Man and wishing that C. Aubrey Smith's role had been played by Harry Carey, Sr. (Blasphemy! I know.) But C. is just not doing it for me and as much as I enjoy this film, I am 42 minutes in and wishing Johnny W. would put on some speed on and show up soon!

Does this makes me a bad person for saying that out loud?

Lionel Barrymore in drag in Devil Doll is just plain freaking me out. My eyes, my eyes!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Uncle Stevie

Re: Tarzan, the Ape Man

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I bought this movie recently and watched it a few weeks back. I was longing to see Johnny Weissmuller again in anything since a very long time again for me. I loved him in a loin cloth. I agree with Lizcutter about this movie. I also own the 1932 version and appreciated the raw film production but not the movie. I know there is a 1981 version I have not seen so I looked it up. It was sued by the Burroughs estate for taking the lead away from Tarzan and concentrating on Bo Derek who appeared topless throughout the movie and had a chimp sucking on her breast. It was also voted as a terrible movie.

Awards and nominationsGolden Raspberry Awards
Won: Worst Actress (Bo Derek)
Nominated: Worst Picture
Nominated: Worst Screenplay
Nominated: Worst Actor (Richard Harris)
Nominated: Worst Director (John Derek)
Nominated: Worst New Star (Miles O'Keeffe)

Now I want to get this movie just to see how bad it really is. Or is it Bo Derek I be wanting to see? Who knows?
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"