Whistle Down the Wind (1961)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Whistle Down the Wind (1961)

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for your glowing review of Whistle Down the Wind, King. That line, "He's not Jesus, he's just a fella," and little Alan Barnes reading of it has stayed in my memory all my life and I last saw this movie about 30 years ago (that makes me a frisky 31, right?). Hayley Mills was so right, Alan Bates was "the most beautiful Jesus ever."

I don't mean to hurt anyone's religious beliefs but this is the sort of film that seems closer to spirituality than most biblical epics ever get near. And the good news is that the entire film is now on youtube. Did anyone at the festival ever mention if TCM would ever have a chance to show this?:
[youtube][/youtube]
Andrew Lloyd Webber made a musical version of Whistle Down the Wind. Has anyone seen or heard this?
I must admit that I shudder to think of it, but there was a pre-Broadway show by Andrew Lloyd Webber Inc. about 15 years ago. It didn't make it. Here's a sample:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I loved this film when I saw it a while back. Great photography, and some of the best performances by children you're ever likely to see. Mills is one of the few child stars I can honestly say was a gifted performer from the get-go. It's amazing that she somehow ended up at Disney.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Whistle Down The Wind is well known here, it was filmed just outside the town where my husband works, in fact one of the men Chris works with was an extra. It must have been lovely shown on the big screen. As you say, it could easily go wrong, I too shudder to think what the musical has, I can't imagine it has the humour and lightness of touch has transferred to stage.

Thank you, Moira for posting that lovely picture of Alan Bates as Jesus, he was indeed the loveliest screen Jesus I've ever seen. When I first saw this movie I thought I'd stumbled on such a little gem, a film that everyone should be aware of, I'm not usually fond of films with children as central characters this one is an exception to me. It is one of the most spiritual films I have seen.

That line, 'That's not Jesus, that's just a fella' is a classic.

I'm glad you've discovered one of my favorite movies in all it's glory. It has been available as a region 2.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The only other one I've seen is the L-Shaped Room, it's very good, Leslie Caron given a roll that requires more than looking good, she's very convincing in it. I'd recommend it if it comes on TCM. I'll have to look up the others, the two I have seen are enough to recommend his other work.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin