TCM 2012 FILM FESTIVAL: FOUR DAYS OF CINEMATIC HEAVEN

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

TCM 2012 FILM FESTIVAL: FOUR DAYS OF CINEMATIC HEAVEN

Post by CineMaven »

I spent four days in cinematic heaven thanks to TCM's 2012 Film Festival. I've gotta tell ya, attending the film festival is not for the faint of heart. You've really got to have stamina and endurance b'cuz TCM offers so much for its classic film lovers; souvenirs, films and movie stars. You've got to invest some time standing on line if you want to get a good seat for the films you'll want to see. You'll have to make tough choices in the films you want to see b'cuz many good ones were scheduled opposite each other. Sleeping...eating...even catching up with old festival friends can be sticky b'cuz there's just no time.

And it's ALL fun.

I attended the Red Carpet festivities as I did last year, but this year, I opted to sit in the bleachers and watch the stars go by: Liza Minnelli, Mickey Rooney, Debbie Reynolds, Robert Wagner, Barbara Rush, Bob Mackie, Marge Champion, Tippi Hedren, Margaret O'Brien etc.etc.etc. were just some of the stars we cheered and waved at. I saw some fantastic interviews and introductions by Angie Dickinson, Sara Karloff & Bela G. Lugosi, make-up master, Rick Baker, Carla Laemmle, Mel Brooks and more etc.etc.etc.

And as for the ten films I chose to watch this festival...all of them I've seen on tv or dvd, but there's nothing like seeing them on the big screen (I love Graumann's Chinese theatre), and with an appreciative audience. I sank into my seat, usually in the first three rows, and let these movies envelop me:

"The Wolf Man" - Lon Chaney Jr. does a fantastic job as the haunted Lawrence Talbot. I felt incredibly sorry for his pain.
"Criss Cross" - Burt Lancaster in tight undershirts, Yvonne DeCarlo at her most sultry, Dan Duryea...sleaze incarnate. Double crosses never looked so good on the big screen.

"Young Frankenstein" - Still Perfect after forty years!!!) perfect casting ("Frau Blucher!!!") and directed by a man who totally understands the genre he spoofs. "I was going to make some Espresso!!"

"Dr. No" - The film has not aged a bit. It really seems quite modern to me. Sean Connery is lethally dazzling. Now that's my idea of a Man.

"The Black Cat" - What a kinky cheeky film. I love David Manners, but of course, the picture belongs to the Masters: Karloff and Lugosi. The S & M quotient was turned on high and the art deco design...to die for. Dwight Frye definitely committed to his role. Aahhh, Renfield...crazy as a loon!

"Dracula" - the film that immortalized Lugosi...and sealed his fate. It's just a good creepy classic. Lugosi as Vampire. Whew!

"Cover Girl" - Long ago...and far away...they made movies then. And to see Rita in color on the big screen, youthful, energetic, dancing and so very beautiful...why, she IS a dream.

"The Women" - I came to the screening late having wanted to see the Angie Dickinson interview by Ben Manckiewicz at Graumann's, but I know "The Women" backwards and forwards. I didn't miss a beat. And the audience really enjoyed it. Each time a star was introduced in the film, she received a warm round of applause; each time a bit of comic business ensued, more applause. ("I'm thinking of the tips you never gave me!!") Crawford and Shearer and Russell and the foxy Paulette gave the audience a swell time. L'amour, l'amour...toujours l'amour!

"The Macomber Affair" - This was the only film I've never seen and I was blown away by it. I'm still trying to digest it. Gregory Peck was dashing and sensible as the great white hunter; very virile and alpha. Robert Preston impressed the hell out of me with a wonderfully layered performance. But it's Joanie...Joan Bennett takes the cake as a wife who has to deal with her husband's cowardice. I have so many favorite femmes fatale, but I am inclined to put Joan Bennett at the top of my very short list of Lethal Ladies. Her glances are withering and her words are deadly. She'll lead a man to hell if he lets her. And he usually wants to go.

The highlight of the festival for me was, of course, meeting KIM NOVAK. Robert Osborne's interview of her was very emotional and moving. She was gracious with her fans at her hand/footprint ceremony at Graumann's. And I surrendered to "VERTIGO" again watching it on the big screen. She really gives a magnificent performance in that film.

I am taking AMTRAK right now from L.A. to N.Y. (we just stopped in Buffalo, New York). I'm editing footage I hope to share with those of you who might be interested in watching what I saw. this past weekend. As I travel cross country back to reality, I've had time to reflect on these four days. And my conclusion: I had a blast.

My thanks to all those TCM staffers who remembered me (by name?!!!) You have created incredible memories for me...and for everyone who had the chance to make it this year.

No time like the present to save up for next year.

COMING SOON...soon as I catch my breath: Video & photos of the 2012 TCM Film Festival.

* ( 2011 TCM Festival experience: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... les#p83495 )
* ( 2011 TCM Festival photographs: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=8&t=5571 )
Last edited by CineMaven on April 29th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Re: TCM 2012 FILM FESTIVAL: FOUR DAYS OF CINEMATIC HEAVEN

Post by JackFavell »

Oh it all sounds so wonderful, Maven! I loved how you recounted the showing of The Women, how much the audience appreciated every line.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I so look forward to reading your posts, Cinemaven.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Cine! Loved the way your excited face popped up in the Gallery of images at the TCM Festival repeatedly--and especially enjoyed your "can this be real?" expression when Kim Novak stood next to you. Thanks for posting your thoughts here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nice Recap Here ... CineMaven!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there...If you have the time, please check out some of my impressions of TCM's 2012 Classic Film Festival. The easy camaraderie with folks from all over the world, the awe of seeing favorite movie stars in person, the enjoyment of watching classic films on the 'silver screen' with an appreciative audience makes it all worthwhile. Thanx for your time.

[youtube][/youtube]

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven - That was incredible! I just love the way you put this together. For those of us not fortunate enough to go to L.A. you've brought it all to us in a very original and classy way. Thanks for showing us the most exciting moments of your experience.

Gosh, to see not just one, but many artists talking about their careers, and about OTHER great stars...well, it's just too amazing for words. Your film making techniques show what a huge experience the TCM festival really is. I know we only got a smidge of what was actually going on there, but if it was all as good as that, then TCM is really doing a great service by holding these events. I've gotta say, the way you edited that piece together was fantastic! I loved how personal it all was to you, I could feel your love of classic film in every edit, every clip.

I have to say, my gosh, Bob Mackie looks exactly the same as he did back when he was doing the Carol Burnett show! Good grief, someone go find that man's secret.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thank you so much JackaaaAaay. It took me days and days (...and days) to edit the material together and to find music I thought would fit. The festival is really is a whirlwind of activity for four days straight and its adventurous speaking to folks on the line who're waiting to be let into the theatre, rushing to different theatres, figuring out when you can grab a bite. Seeing the stars talk about their past, or who they worked with was great. Eunice Gayson from "DR. NO" said Sean Connery was very intimidated to play 007. It took all Cubby Broccoli had to get him to even say: "Bond, James Bond." Yes, the stars look a little older than they did when their films initially premiered, but when you actually see them in person, there's something surreal about it; like they're coming through time. At least for me, but I'm not explaining this very well. I personally thought Peggy Cummins and Marge Champion were the prettiest ladies to glide down that red carpet. Ms. Cummins seemed especially elegant. If you noticed Ms. Champion's smile there, it was b'cuz the lady next to me yelled out to her: "MARGE!!! MARGE!!! Let's see those gams!!" She looked smiled and pointed. My voice was hoarse from all the screaming and cheering.

As for Kim Novak...well...she's in a class by herself.

Thanxx for watching...and for your comments.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought Marge Champion was the best dressed I saw, at least in the video, but what do I know? She's worked steadily too from what I've read, which keeps her fit and sharp as a tack.

I just loved Debbie's intro there, she's a pistol! I'd like to sit and talk to her for a few hours, I bet she would sit down with anyone, if she had time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I think Debbie'll MAKE the time. I didn't see her Robert Osborne intro for "Singing In the Rain." But I heard she was a pistol. There was NOTHING Robert-0 could do but sit and listen. Debbie. A legend! A stark raving legend!

I think working keeps 'em all alive and involved in life.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Wonderful stuff, CineMaven!!!! I enjoyed every step of the way of your trip at the TCM festival.
Can't wait to see the video and images. You go girl!

Joe
Joseph Goodheart
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx so much Mongo. If you scroll up a little, you'll see my video essay on the film festival.

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

MAVEN MOMENTS.....

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

A Maven Moment with Cocktail Christy

A Maven Moment with Genevieve McGillicuddy, the TCM administrator responsible for the festival and the cruise, and a very nice gal in her.

I haven't yet had time to watch your video yet, but it is on my agena. I can't wait to see it! :D
Last edited by Sue Sue Applegate on April 30th, 2012, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I certainly been enjoyed reading all these posts.

Pictures, Thoughts, and the Whole Nine Yards too!

Thanks for sharing it ... Everyone!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Holy Cow Christy!!! Wow! No denying, that's me. Ha!!! Thanxx so much. Dang, I should have gotten your autograph when I had the chance!
Last edited by CineMaven on April 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.