Anatomy of a Murder

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Anatomy of a Murder

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Eve Arden's was a great role, so complimentary to the guys. I'd guessed that Jimmy was all a smokescreen for the defence and it's a good job George C Scott was there because the other guy didn't seen capable of sharpening a pencil in this case. Jimmy understood what Laura was doing, she was capable of paying in kind I'm sure, Jimmy wouldn't of course but he did admire her. Who wouldn't? I too feel sorry for Manion in all this, I think he's doomed to eventually do time for either killing Laura or some other guy she's chatted up. And George C Scott, hmm, wouldn't be surprised to see him in the dock one day either.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I love that hat. Jimmy must have liked it too. It's similar to his headgear CALL NORTHSIDE 777, HARVEY and other films.
charliechaplinfan

It's not difficult to imagine Jimmy Stewart as a fisherman, it's the perennial batchelor I struggle to believe in.

I've mentioned on another thread about not appreciating Gregory Peck because he's the good guy to me but that's exactly why I love about Jimmy Stewart, he's the perfect good guy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote:One of the most interesting aspects of ANATOMY OF A MURDER is that Preminger doesn't tell us what we're supposed to think of the characters. I love the way that in the courtroom scenes James Stewart consciously uses his "gee whiz, I'm a simple, lovable country lawyer" persona as ruthlessly and manipulatively as any villain in any film. He's much more cunning than the obvious sharpie played by George C. Scott. Whereas Hitchcock and Anthony Mann show us the darker side of Stewart's persona, Preminger shows us Stewart constructing his usual persona. Others may view Stewart more sympathetically in this part of the movie; Preminger doesn't put his thumb on the scales.

Stewart's slimeball client deserves to go to prison for a long time, and a man should be reluctant to take sexy Lee Remick's word for anything without other evidence. If she lied to her husband and brought about the catastrophe, she doesn't feel much guilt about it. If he went to prison, she wouldn't be too upset, either, would she? I love the little glimpse we have of Lee Remick and Ben Gazzara at the end, and the sense that these events have made less effect on these two than one would expect from normal people. Perhaps this unfortunate episode has added spice to a troubled marriage!

Eve Arden gives us a welcome grounding in the normal world. Don't tell bronxgirl that her personal aversion, Arthur O'Connell, has a nice supporting role. All the key roles have just the right actors working in top form.

Ha! I do think Arthur is a fine actor, and very good here, but, well, I just can't stand him! (said in a Lina Lamont accent, lol)

It must be a testament to Mummy Ben's (who even when young had a sort of Tutenkamen look about him -- decidedly creepy) talent that I just want to kick Manny from here to kingdom come. What an arrogant jerk, and of course all that attitude is hiding a very big inferiority complex. I'm guessing he has "performance" problems. Quite frankly, I hate the guy. Laura, on the other hand, is very sympathetic to me. As played (expertly) by Lee, she's not really a mantrap so much as an emotionally-starved woman with a desperate need for approval by men. Laura's lonliness is emphasized by the way she fawns over little Muffy.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on February 8th, 2013, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:It must be a testament to Mummy Ben's (who even when young had a sort of Tutenkamen look about him -- decidedly creepy) talent that I just want to smack Manny from here to kingdom come. What an arrogant jerk, and of course all that attitude is hiding a very big inferiority complex. I'm guessing he has "performance" problems. Quite frankly, I hate the guy.
Hey, Lina, er, Bronxie, the creepiest detail of Ben Gazzara's performance as Mummy Manny for me was the way he used a cigarette holder. That always made me uneasy and I suspect that it was a deliberate choice by the actor. Did you notice this too?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oooh, moira, I think I know what you're referring to with the cigarette holder, but I have to go back and look again. V-e-e-e-r-y interesting, lol. Not that there's anything----

I never knew you could get hard-boiled eggs at a roadside shack. And I'm always thinking the bottle of milk Maida crams into Jimmy's fish-filled refrigerator will immediately come crashing down once the door is opened again.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, I suppose all kinds of things could be read into this, but I just thought it was a strange affectation for a military lifer. I wouldn't touch anything in that fridge. You know that milk must taste like fish, so maybe crashing to the floor is for the best.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I just want to smack Manny from here to kingdom come. What an arrogant jerk, and of course all that attitude is hiding a very big inferiority complex.
vs.
she's not really a mantrap so much as an emotionally-starved woman with a desperate need for approval by men.
V-e-r-r-y-y interesting.

Compare and contrast "very big inferiority complex" with "desperate need for approval".

Discuss.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

I felt sorry for Manny and I suppose I feel sorry for Laura too, she has a need to flirt and he can't take her flirting but they can't leave one another either. That cigarette holder was strange though, a very odd choice for a military man. Neither of them seemed that bothered about him being incarcerated, like they expected him never to get convicted.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

To all you married kids out there...don't try the Mannions' lifestyle at home.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:To all you married kids out there...don't try the Mannions' lifestyle at home.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Not unless you want to leave town in the middle of the night without paying any bills. And live on the edge...forever. So exhausting.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yeah...who needs to look over their shoulder (( "They Live By Night" "Gun Crazy" "Bonnie & Clyde" "Badlands" )) for the rest of their lives.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moirafinnie wrote:Oh, I suppose all kinds of things could be read into this, but I just thought it was a strange affectation for a military lifer. I wouldn't touch anything in that fridge. You know that milk must taste like fish, so maybe crashing to the floor is for the best.

I just saw the movie again. Manion caresses the cigarette holder several times in court, and strokes his tie up and down continuously. These (displaced) actions relieve his anxiety and to my mind really serve to show that the lieutenant's masculine image is on very shaky ground. This is probably why he joined the military -- to prop up a confused sexual identity.

I don't give that marriage too long.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ChiO wrote:

Compare and contrast "very big inferiority complex" with "desperate need for approval".

Discuss.

Oh, no, lol, now I'm having my own kind of performance anxiety!

Laura: Abusive childhood.
Manny: Same.

Prognosis negative for a long and happy marriage.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think we have some clients for Dr. Chumley's rest home. Maybe their attorney knows someone!