The March 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The March 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Has anyone seen the very last film to be shown in the month of March, In Vanda's Room (2000, dir. Pedro Costa)? It's about three hours long and shows the lives of several actual drug addicts who live in a poor section of Lisbon. An unusual choice for TCM.
I have a friend of mine that wanted me to see it together and I was very distribued after watching the first hour or so of the movie and I walked out of the theatre and told him that I did not care for it. I'm shocked to see that movie on the TCM March Schedule and I would not recommend it ... if anyone here has can't stomach it ... for the shocking drug use in Lisbon. To me, I consider this movie controverisal because of its content nature.

:shock: that this movie made the March Line Up at TCM :!:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

This morning from 6 to 8, I had breakfast with Bette Davis... She starred in "Dead Ringer" (1964) along with Karl Malden and Peter Lawford - and herself... She plays twin sisters.
Not a bad movie, certainly not her best but I liked it and her in it.....

SPOILERS:
Nobody is as good as Bette when she's bad - - great scene where she puts a gun to her sister's head and shoots her. Bette, the victim, looks surprised - she didn't have Bette Davis eyes for nothing!!!
Was ecstatic when Peter got mauled by the dog and Bette just watches, then stunned runs out into the foyer in her best pennoir billowing behind her and yells for help.... Too late!!
Bette burning herself with a red hot poker and then screaming her lungs out as only she can. I wondered if she was still soar about losing an Oscar to Joan Crawford and was still screaming!!!
Nice to see Jean Hagen in a small role as Bette's friend; and Estelle Winwood as the 'Catholic voice of doom'....

Good entertainment and I enjoyed my breakfast with Bette...

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

LOOKING AHEAD IN APRIL 2013 TCM SCHEDULE ...

I just looked at the next month schedule of Turner Classic Schedule and it is actually pretty darn good ... for many of us here some of you will be using your DVR quite heavily and may want to call in sick from work. One day especially of those are silent film fans and western fans as well.

Not to mentioned to Horror Fans, Drama Fans, Film Noir Fans, and Musicals too. Got Everything ... And, great shorts too.

It's got everything under the Sun and there is several films out there (in TCM Land) that I haven't seen in decades. I will be watching those.

One of my favorite thing to do at TCM website is to go through quickly (in 15 minutes, or less) the whole month of programming of TCM and write down the dates that I will be interested in. Many of them are Silver Screen Oasis favorites and believe me April 2013 is slightly better than March 2013.

Looking forward to April 2013 at TCM.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Larry, I haven't seen Dead Ringer for YEARS, but your post made me remember how much I love watching Bette be bad! Sorry now that I didn't DVR it!

Sandy K
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

kingme--I agree, lots of good stuff in April. I'm really looking forward to the Woman's World theme and also several of the Olivier films, especially The Beggar's Opera.

Also VERY curious to see Oscar Wilde with Phyllis Calvert and Robert Morley. I've just discovered the lovely Miss Calvert recently in 2 Gainesborough pictures--Madonna of the Seven Moons and The Man in Grey.

Three Came Home starring Claudette Colbert is a must-DVR for me, too. I read the book (a true story) that it was based on many, many years ago and I've never seen the film.

Sandy K
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Sandy Darlin'

So nice to hear from you!!!

SPOILERS:
I too hadn't seen "Dead Ringer" in decades and had forgotten about it really; but was overjoyed to see it on.
I salivated over my mushroom & cheese omelette as Edie shot Maggie in the head!!
And later, watched as strawberry jam dripped on my hand as the great dane dog bit through Peter's neck!!
A great time was had by all........ Can't wait to invite Bette for breakfast again!!!

BTW & FYI - the house used as Maggie's home is Greystone Manor in LA, my Aunt Lucy's old home... It was good to see it again.

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I LOVE Dead Ringer, Larry! It just compels you to watch.

Oh, as bad as Bette is, isn't Peter Lawford just squirm-worthy? Ugh, he's so slimy in this one, I swear he leaves a trail behind him.

My favorite part is the butler. Having seen it last year sometime and being caught up in it, I watched again the other morning and it's really worth it to go back and watch knowing that he knows...

I really love every second, from Bette taking off the dead woman's clothes to the kiss Peter lays on her unexpectedly. Poor Edie. She had no idea that Maggie's life of privilege was so rotten. With friends like Jean Hagen, who needs enemies? Out of the frying pan into the fire! :D
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Wendy,

I'm glad you enjoyed "Dead Ringer" and the wonderful Bette Davis in duplicate...
You're right - Peter lawford was heinous, not a decent bone in his body. I wonder if he channelled his mother as a role model for this role???

Love Jean Hagen in any role, even the high society pimp one she had in this movie... Sort of a better looking & nicer double of Lotte Lenya in "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone"...

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, yes! She's much nicer than Lotte.... more vacuous than sinister... you still get the idea that she is living a debauched kind of life, but it's not quite as corrupt as Lenya's character. ewwww! shivers go up my spine thinking of her in Roman Spring.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Larry, you are a delight.

I hadn't realized that Greystone was used as a location in Dead Ringer. I need to watch this one again!

I agree with you both--Lawford was so slimy in this one! Kind of wish he'd played more roles like that.

Sandy K