The September 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The September 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by JackFavell »

mine is hours off, and I can't figure out how to make it work. I can set it to what I think is the correct time, but it never works. :D
Mannequin is a favorite of mine.
I know, I know! It's everyone's favorite! Ican't tell you how many people have told me they like it. I really wanted to see it badly... but my brain is like a sieve. It doesn't help that it was in that no man's land between 4 and 7 where I always forget to watch or record because it's right after school, or when I'm making dinner.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

it isn't going anywhere so i wouldn't worry about it. i don't have time or patience lately to watch hardly any movies at all these days. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Fred Astaire, YAY! It doesn't matter that I own several of his films on dvd, I will ALWAYS stop to watch Astaire on TCM.

Death of a Scoundrel--I missed that one the last time it came around. I love George Sanders' purring deadly voice.

Looking forward to more Kim Novak tonight. Bell, Book and Candle is a fave (I love the lighting and colors in this film). Haven't seen Kiss Me, Stupid--not sure about it--love Dean Martin--but movie looks sort of "icky". We'll see.

Recording Notorious Landlady and Pfhhht because I think Jack Lemmon and Novak are an interesting pairing.

Sandy K
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:The tentative December schedule is up (check out General Discussions at TCM City). Many Christmas movies will be shown. Fred Astaire is Star of the Month.

Fabulous ... Fred Astaire is the Star of the Month in December!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

sandykaypax wrote:Looking forward to more Kim Novak tonight. Bell, Book and Candle is a fave (I love the lighting and colors in this film).
I have read that the ultra-chic fashion photography of Richard Avedon influenced the art direction of Cary Odell and even James Wong Howe's cinematography on this film (as Avedon also did in Funny Face). I think the look of this film made me want to live in NYC when I was a kid. I thought that it would be cool to wear those turtlenecks, wander the snowy streets of Greenwich Village and hang out in coffee houses looking smart, knowing, and artsy.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I'm going to lose the cigarette and put that outfit on when I go to the Zodiac Club. Actually, my hair is about that long, I just need to cut some bangs!

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

sandykaypax wrote:I'm going to lose the cigarette and put that outfit on when I go to the Zodiac Club. Actually, my hair is about that long, I just need to cut some bangs!

Sandy K
:lol:

Consider yourself slated for the recipient of a snap--the kind rendered by a roomful of hep cats under your spell, SandyK!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, you were aiming much higher than I dared dream, Masha. I knew that the Rive Gauche would laugh at this country bumpkin, but NYC had its charms for me then that were real (and illusory). It was fun to share the dream world that Bell, Book, and Candle created, It certainly seems to have left its mark on several of us.
Kim, Pywacket, and that minimalist Christmas tree.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's going to be an exciting night!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:I particularly want to call your attention to five films which will be shown Tuesday night, presumably to represent The Brilliance of European Film. All are French. First up are two films by Jean Vigo, the 44-minute Zero for Conduct and the full-length L'Atalante.
I'm looking forward to Zero for Conduct too. Have never seen the entire movie of L'Atalante either.
kingrat wrote:Following are the two most celebrated films of Jean Renoir, Grand Illusion and The Rules of the Game, and then comes one of my new-found favorites, Port of Shadows. Shadows, fog, doom--all the good stuff--along with great dialogue, acting, cinematography, and directing.
Of course, one of the things that is so compelling about these movies for me is this guy in two great movies:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks