The September 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The September 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by JackFavell »

I have to admit, when I finally saw How the West Was Won last year, some of the shots totally impressed me, the depth of focus, the way the camera captures more of the way we see. It was impressive.

But I also must admit that I have had a total aversion to discussing this film or the Cinerama doc thanks to a certain someone over at the TCM site. The mere MENTION of either film or Cinerama in general makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I start dreading that someone will start talking about aspect ratios and how they've seen the movie 117 times. Sorry. Can't go there.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:
But I also must admit that I have had a total aversion to discussing this film or the Cinerama doc thanks to a certain someone over at the TCM site. The mere MENTION of either film or Cinerama in general makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I start dreading that someone will start talking about aspect ratios and how they've seen the movie 117 times. Sorry. Can't go there.

Do you have issues with Cinerama Jack Favell? ... I find films shot in this process inspiring, different, and unique. I rather watch films in Cinerama than in IMAX, 3-D, and Conventional Process too. This process puts you in the picture like no other in the world and I rather pay big bucks to watch it in this format than any other format available.

I'm puzzled by your comments here.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy:

Speaking of aspect ratios, with our move the Verizon man came out and after he installed the service he wanted to change the screen so it was "filled up" on the SD channels. I told him no as that messes up the picture. I think I caught him a little off guard. Turns out he had already done one TV so I had to change it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to watch a movie.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:...But I also must admit that I have had a total aversion to discussing this film or the Cinerama doc thanks to a certain someone over at the TCM site. The mere MENTION of either film or Cinerama in general makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I start dreading that someone will start talking about aspect ratios and how they've seen the movie 117 times. Sorry. Can't go there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Rita, it really has nothing to do with Cinerama itself or with you at all. It's simply the fact that one member at the old website used to constantly talk about Cinerama and aspect ratios, and then turned those discussions into the most hateful posts I've ever encountered on a website in my life. Cinerama is a great technique, and yes, I agree it does put you right inside the action if done right. It's cool! But I can't help thinking of this person whenever the subject comes up. It's nothing personal.

I think many of the folks here at the SSO will know who I'm talking about. I certainly think it's great that you are interested in that film process. It's a good topic of conversation, but if you don't get any replies, this may be why. I can't even see the word Cinerama without it striking momentary terror into my heart, thinking of the bully who used to use this topic to start his/her rants and horrible, slanderous and just plain mean behavior online. I thought you ought to know about this person, so that you would not feel bad if people didn't respond much on this subject. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I thoroughly understood you ... thanks for your response here ... Jack! :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Is anyone else interested in seeing some of the Brian Keith movies on TCM on Wed., 9/4? Gaily, Gaily (1969) was, as I recall, quite a lively version of Ben Hecht's memoirs that deserves to be better known. Keith has a fine time being a likable cynic as a naive Beau Bridges explores the fleshpots of Chicago. Director Norman Jewison discusses (or tries to) this film and its delightful cast here.

Here's the rundown for Wed. (all times shown are ET):

8:45 AM
BAMBOO PRISON, THE (1955)
An undercover agent investigates atrocities at a Koran P.O.W. camp.
Dir: Lewis Seiler Cast: Robert Francis , Dianne Foster , Brian Keith .
BW-80 mins, TV-14,

10:15 AM
STORM CENTER (1956)
A librarian fights to keep a controversial book on the shelves.
Dir: Daniel Taradash Cast: Bette Davis , Brian Keith , Kim Hunter .
BW-86 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

11:45 AM
RUN OF THE ARROW (1957)
A bitter Confederate veteran joins a Sioux tribe to keep his war against the Union going.
Dir: Samuel Fuller Cast: Rod Steiger , Sarita Montiel , Brian Keith .
C-86 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

1:15 PM
DEADLY COMPANIONS, THE (1961)
To make amends for killing a man, a Civil War veteran accompanies his corpse through dangerous territory.
Dir: Sam Peckinpah Cast: Maureen O'Hara , Brian Keith , Steve Cochran .
C-93 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

3:00 PM
HALLELUJAH TRAIL, THE (1965)
Indians, soldiers and temperance women fight to control a wagon train hauling whiskey across the West.
Dir: John Sturges Cast: Burt Lancaster , Lee Remick , Jim Hutton .
C-155 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

6:00 PM
GAILY, GAILY (1969)
An innocent young writer learns the ways of yellow journalism working for a top Chicago paper.
Dir: Norman Jewison Cast: Beau Bridges , Melina Mercouri , Brian Keith .
C-107 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Count me in, though sadly I have to return to work on Wednesday so I will miss most of the day. The Deadly Companions is an interesting first effort for Sam Peckinpah and quite a different relationship between O'Hara and Keith when compared to The Parent Trap. I never heard of Gaily, Gaily but I have never forgotten Hecht's monumentally long but often interesting/amusing autobiography, Child of the Century.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I saw part of Gaily Gaily a few years ago and found it really good, thanks to great direction and acting by Keith and Bridges. It's one of those movies that you can't look away from once you get a glimpse of it. Thanks for the heads up Moira, so I can finally see the whole thing.

I am excited about Brian Keith day, he's a vastly underrated actor. Of these movies, I've only seen The Deadly Companions all the way through.

My favorite of his roles is as Teddy Roosevelt in The Wind and the Lion which they are not showing today. It was a complex, incredibly great portrayal of the man as a larger-than-life figure, but we also saw the man behind the image briefly. He encompassed so many opposites in this role - humor/deadly seriousness, deep thought/action oriented, sensitive to touchy issues/willing to do whatever he had to do for America (but mostly for himself). Above all shrewd. He doesn't get the praise as an actor he deserves.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I didn't realize Gaily, Gaily was based on the life of Ben Hecht. Definitely gonna record that!

Brian Keith--what a gorgeous hunk of man! He has an innate kindness that comes through in all of his performances.

I recorded the Cinerama doc. Looking forward to it. Don't remember the TCM board drama, thankfully.

I watched the first episode of The Story of Film. I really liked it. I love films, but I don't know much (or I don't pay attention to) about the technical aspect of filmmaking. I learned some stuff already! Also, now I may have to check out The Phantom Carriage after seeing clips.

Sandy K
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

sandykaypax wrote:I watched the first episode of The Story of Film. I really liked it. I love films, but I don't know much (or I don't pay attention to) about the technical aspect of filmmaking. I learned some stuff already! ...
Sandy K
I enjoyed "The Story of Film" immensely. I finally did settle in to the narrator's Irish brogue. If it took him and his partner six years to create this film, he probably couldn't afford to have James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman do the narration. But his brogue lends it a charm. He verbally described to a tee, all I've consciously and unconsciously been looking at...and taking for granted...and using in my own work my entire movie-watching life. Lets hear it for feisty Ms. Beauchamp who spoke about director Alice Guy-Blache. Can't wait for the series to continue. :)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Looking forward to Gaily, Gaily because I am a Ben Hecht fan! So sorry to have missed The Story of Film last night and Cari Beauchamp, but I have the book.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM Showed The General
Starring Buster Keaton

Full Movie on You Tube
[youtube][/youtube]

This is arguably my favorite Buster Keaton Movie of all time ... I consider this movie just as iconic as Charlie Chaplin's Gold Rush. To me, when I think of Silent Classic - I think of only two movies - The General and Gold Rush ... Period.

It was a treat to see this movie last night and the co-star of this delightful comedy is the Locomotive - What Keaton done with this movie of which he directed was a stroke of a masterpiece of masterpieces that left me bewildered of how he managed to get people involved in this project. What Robert Osborne said last night - was incredible - he did his own stunts, managed to get Oregon National Guard in the due process - playing the parts of soldiers in both Union and Confederate Ranks and the scene of which the locomotive went down with the bridge was real ... was incredibly amazing that he believe in Realism not Fake.

I just was in awe of this movie and rightly so.

The General - Starring Buster Keaton is my favorite Keaton Movie that he both Starred and Directed.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

...Continuing as September's Star of the Month in total Bombshell Mode:

8:00 PM PICNIC (1956)
A handsome drifter ignites passions at a small-town Labor Day picnic. Dir: Joshua Logan. Cast:  William Holden, Kim Novak Betty Field. C-113 mins.

10:00 PM PAL JOEY (1957)

An opportunistic singer woos a wealthy widow to boost his career. Dir: George Sidney. Cast:  Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra, Kim Novak. C-109 mins.

12:00 AM THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY (1956)

The famed pianist loses the love of his life and almost loses his son's love as well. Dir: George Sidney. Cast:  Kim Novak, Rex Thompson, James Whitmore. 123-mins.

2:15 AM JEANNE EAGELS (1957)

The famed actress fights drug addiction to build a career and find love. Dir: George Sidney. Cast:  Kim Novak, Jeff Chandler, Agnes Moorehead. 109 mins.