The October 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The October 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

I understand kingrat about Pather Panchali, I honestly was dumbfounded that I never noticed those similarities before. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Tomorrow morning, Friday October 18, at 7 am ET, is a movie with the stunning Rochelle Hudson. I think we've discussed her on the message boards recently? Bachelor Bait has Stuart Erwin as a romantic who sets up a dating service. Besides the allure of beautiful Rochelle Hudson, it also stars the hilarious Pert Kelton. I haven't seen it myself, but Kelton doesn't show up too often and it would be worth it, I'm quite sure - give her a try! Everything I've seen with this actress made me want to see more of her.

Oh and it's directed by some guy named George Stevens.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bachelor Bait was a lot of fun, and just adorable! Turns out I'd seen a bit of this film before, and had enjoyed it very much. It's a gentle comedy with the very appealing Stuart Erwin as the man who wants everyone to experience romance, but is too much of a boob to realize it when it's in front of him. :D A rather thoughtful script for 1934, I really enjoyed every character and situation in the film, plus the deadpan of Pert Kelton. I wonder if Erwin made any other films like this one? Anyone know? I'd be interested in following his career, he was so sweet in this movie.
Last edited by JackFavell on October 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll definitely try to catch it Masha... you know how I feel about Myrna, and I'm excited to see Karen Morley as well. Can a movie contain two smart women? I guess we'll see. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I missed it!I woke at 6 and turned it on, then slept right through it. I found a copy though, Masha and will watch sometime today. Sorry bout that! I am dying to see Loy as the evil helper... I really enjoy her more exotic turns.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: STAR OF THE MONTH: VINCENT PRICE
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24TH PRIME TIME TELEVISION

All times are EASTERN

8:00 PM
House Of Wax (1953)

9:45 PM
Mad Magician, The (1954)

11:00 PM
House Of Usher (1960)

12:30 AM
Diary of a Madman (1963)

2:15 AM
Tingler, The (1959)

3:45 AM
House On Haunted Hill (1959)

5:15 AM
Bat, The (1959)

I will be recording the classic Diary of a Madman and The Tingler - while watching House of Wax through House of Usher. These are consider VINCENT PRICE most beloved work ... as HORROR MASTERPIECES.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: THE ESSENTIALS: MONSTERS NEED LOVE TOO
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26TH - PRIMETIME TELEVISION

All Times are EASTERN

8:00 PM
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

9:30 PM
Mummy, The (1932)

11:00 PM
Cat People (1942)

12:30 AM
White Zombie (1932)

2:00 AM
Psychomania (1973)

I will be watch The Bride of Frankenstein through Cat People and record White Zombie - I haven't seen this movie yet, and according to my friends it's a classic horror flick. And, Psychomania too.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jackie, re THE SINGLE STANDARD, "Packy Cannon" LOL!!!! Oooh, Nils and JMB in the same film! I wouldn't know who to look at first!

Isn't Asther a doctor in THE MAN IN HALF-MOON STREET? That title for some reason always reminds me of THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.

I still can't remember that WWII movie with Nils. He's doing some sort of undercover work for the Allies maybe, and looks incredibly sexy in a Scandinavian turtleneck, and there's also some strategic skiing going on? I don't know, I'm all muddled...

There's an Italian student in one of our ESOL classes who is a film buff, mainly of his country's movies. During the evening breaks, we talk about De Sica, Fellini, Antonioni, et. al. He recently gave me what I imagine is very good advice about Pasolini: "Do not see SALO!" I don't plan to, lol. (ACCATONE! was good)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Jackie, re THE SINGLE STANDARD, "Packy Cannon" LOL!!!! Oooh, Nils and JMB in the same film! I wouldn't know who to look at first!
Oh, you would be in a dilemma alright! Johnny Mack plays a Ralph Bellamy type role :lol: and Nils plays a Valentino type role. I think you'd like it, especially in conjunction with Wild Orchids. If you can find these two films, they certainly would make a fun double feature. Garbo is ravishing in The Single Standard, I think it's my favorite look for her, she's very free spirited and she has a very modern look, not to mention outlook on life. A very pleasing film, despite the ridiculousness of naming Asther Packy Cannon. Oh lordy, I still can't get over that name!
Isn't Asther a doctor in THE MAN IN HALF-MOON STREET? That title for some reason always reminds me of THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.
I have never seen the movie, though the title sounds familiar, but I am indebted to you for mentioning it! When I looked it up, I discovered it had Helen Walker in it and the most marvelous plot description. Luckily it's on youtube and I am going to watch it RIGHT AWAY. Thanks for the tip. Even if it's bad it sounds like it would be good. :D
I still can't remember that WWII movie with Nils. He's doing some sort of undercover work for the Allies maybe, and looks incredibly sexy in a Scandinavian turtleneck, and there's also some strategic skiing going on? I don't know, I'm all muddled...
There are only two men from the classic era I can think of who can rock a turtleneck - I mean, really look GREAT in them - Gable and Asther. Oh the occasional Efrem Zimbalist wore one well, but really, who would you pick of the three men? I think Efrem would be last on my list. :D

As for strategic skiing, I am quite sure I haven't seen that one either, I'm sure I would have remembered it, lol. The only one listed on IMDB that sounds like it might be the one is called The Hour Before Dawn, and it stars Veronica Lake as a Nazi agent. I'd watch it just to see Nils in that turtleneck.

There's an Italian student in one of our ESOL classes who is a film buff, mainly of his country's movies. During the evening breaks, we talk about De Sica, Fellini, Antonioni, et. al. He recently gave me what I imagine is very good advice about Pasolini: "Do not see SALO!" I don't plan to, lol. (ACCATONE! was good)[/quote]

I imagine your student yelling that out to the world with bitterness, "do not see SALO!" as if he were a street guy in one of the movies you were talking about... :D

Accatone really impressed me, even though I had a hard time hanging in there after the prostitute was beaten up and left in the outskirts of the city overnight. What a film! I don't know how Pasolini made me like the main character.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh, you would be in a dilemma alright! Johnny Mack plays a Ralph Bellamy type role :lol: and Nils plays a Valentino type role. I think you'd like it, especially in conjunction with Wild Orchids. If you can find these two films, they certainly would make a fun double feature. Garbo is ravishing in The Single Standard, I think it's my favorite look for her, she's very free spirited and she has a very modern look, not to mention outlook on life. A very pleasing film, despite the ridiculousness of naming Asther Packy Cannon. Oh lordy, I still can't get over that name!

Oh my stars! Let me see, I'd, uh, start my morning off with wholesome Ralph-Johnny and then enjoy the evening in bliss with Rudy-Nils. Haven't seen that many Garbo silents, but would love to. I was looking at the imdb board; turns out Nils actually proposed to Greta but she turned him down. (he's in good company with John Gilbert I guess, lol)
I have never seen the movie, though the title sounds familiar, but I am indebted to you for mentioning it! When I looked it up, I discovered it had Helen Walker in it and the most marvelous plot description. Luckily it's on youtube and I am going to watch it RIGHT AWAY. Thanks for the tip. Even if it's bad it sounds like it would be good. :D

It's on YouTube?? I'm going to watch it too! Thank YOU for telling me!
There are only two men from the classic era I can think of who can rock a turtleneck - I mean, really look GREAT in them - Gable and Asther. Oh the occasional Efrem Zimbalist wore one well, but really, who would you pick of the three men? I think Efrem would be last on my list. :D

Yes, lol, I do recall Efrem (who always looked like he was born with a pipe in his mouth) in a turtleneck, but never thought he had the proper body type to carry it off. (not broad enough in the shoulder area) So he'd be my last choice too. Probably Clark first, then Nils. I'd like to think Cornel Wilde wore one, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. Dennis Morgan too.

As for strategic skiing, I am quite sure I haven't seen that one either, I'm sure I would have remembered it, lol. The only one listed on IMDB that sounds like it might be the one is called The Hour Before Dawn, and it stars Veronica Lake as a Nazi agent. I'd watch it just to see Nils in that turtleneck.

I should have looked on imbd first and figured it out. It wouldn't have been SUBMARINE ALERT then, lol. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around Veronica Lake as a Nazi agent. I wonder if they braided her hair.

There's an Italian student in one of our ESOL classes who is a film buff, mainly of his country's movies. During the evening breaks, we talk about De Sica, Fellini, Antonioni, et. al. He recently gave me what I imagine is very good advice about Pasolini: "Do not see SALO!" I don't plan to, lol. (ACCATONE! was good)[/quote]

I imagine your student yelling that out to the world with bitterness, "do not see SALO!" as if he were a street guy in one of the movies you were talking about... :D

HA!! This student is just the opposite of those cafe louts in ACCATONE! -- very mild-mannered and studious.

Accatone really impressed me, even though I had a hard time hanging in there after the prostitute was beaten up and left in the outskirts of the city overnight. What a film! I don't know how Pasolini made me like the main character.[/quote]

It's the first Pasolini I've seen and it also impressed me -- unsentimental, sun-baked, alternately brittle and poetic -- ultimately I did feel a bit sorry for Vittorio/Accatone, but without really warming up to him. (same way I feel towards Belmondo in BREATHLESS)
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on October 21st, 2013, 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, Rock is also on his back a lot in COME SEPTEMBER, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jackie, I apologize to you and everyone for not quite getting the hang of the quoting thing for myself and other posters. :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm such a dope. Sorry for the confusion.