The October 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

The October 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Here's the lineup on TCM for October, 2013. I hope you'll add in your choices for "don't miss" or "new to me."

There are oodles of Hammer films for Halloween along with the classic horrors from Universal and amusing cheapies that are also on tap at TCM. The network also features the continuing Story of Film documentary series and the many rarely seen noteworthy films from world cinema accompanying them:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... 2013-10-01

A Few Highlights:
(All Times Shown are ET)

Oct. 29th
INTRUDER IN THE DUST (1949-Clarence Brown): Fine film and great acting thanks to Juano Hernandez's stoic, daunting performance. Is anyone else interested in a Clarence Brown Month on TCM?

Oct. 30th
ESCAPE (1940-Mervyn LeRoy): Connie Veidt as a Nazi. He plays his role of an arrogant officer with silken hints of self-loathing, but ekes out some considerable humanity from the character. Note how good Norma Shearer is opposite him in certain scenes. He had the same effect on Joan Crawford in A Woman's Face the following year. Robert Taylor, Nazimova and Felix Bressart are also very good--but that acidic little minx, Bonita Granville steals most of her scenes (again).

THE SWIMMER (1968-Frank Perry): Burt Lancaster at his late career best playing a man swimming his way home through his neighbors' pools. The haunting story is courtesy of John Cheever.

Oct 1st
Laurence Harvey Day! : Like him or loathe him, you can't ignore this idiosyncratic actor...especially on the 85th anniversary of his birth.
I really liked his oddball performance in Two Loves. This may not be a particularly well thought out movie, but Harvey's take-no-prisoners performance impressed me and confounded my judgment. He is so OTT and committed to the role. Too bad the screenwriters were not as well. See what you think of this flick. BTW, I relish Jack Hawkins in most everything, but I think I can see Jack amortizing the cost of his mortgage while turning in a sensitive, if woefully underwritten turn as an unhappily married man.

6:15 AM
KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADERS (1954)

8:15 AM
BUTTERFIELD 8 (1960)

10:15 AM
TWO LOVES (1961)

12:00 PM
WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM, THE (1962)

2:30 PM
OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1964)

4:15 PM
THE OUTRAGE (1964)

6:00 PM
WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (1962)

Oct. 14th
Some of the greatest European filmmakers have their work spotlighted tonight.
These past few weeks have been like a college course in cinema (with no charge extra for the very thick brogue of the Story of Film's narrator).
Winter Light is one Bergman I would like to see again since my memory of it dates from early adolescence (I like to think my perceptions have changed since then, though I am probably dreaming). Pickpocket is one of Bresson's films that I have yet to see and I cannot wait. Nothing that this director has made has ever been forgettable for me. Each of his movies seems to be a beautifully, quietly done meditation.

8:00 PM
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA (1957-Fellini)

10:00 PM
STORY OF FILM: AN ODYSSEY, THE: 1957-1964 - SHOCK OF THE NEW, MODERN FILMMAKING IN WESTERN EUROPE (2011)

11:15 PM
WINTER LIGHT (1962-Bergman)

12:45 AM
PICKPOCKET (1959-Bresson)

2:15 AM
CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 (1962-Vajda)

3:45 AM
400 BLOWS, THE (1959-Truffaut)

5:30 AM
ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (1960-Visconti)

Oct. 16th:
Angela Lansbury Day and Tyrone Power Night!
Angie's lineup includes Gaslight, The Harvey Girls, If Winter Comes, Kind Lady, Mister Buddwing, and The Manchurian Candidate

Ty's night features the films below. Love Rawhide for the entire great cast (and the claustrophobic feel that Hathaway gives the film). So glad to see Nightmare Alley on TCM at last & all the other Power movies of late (particularly This Above All, last month). Can Blood and Sand (1941) be far behind?
8:00 PM
RAWHIDE (1951)

9:45 PM
NIGHTMARE ALLEY (1947)

11:45 PM
THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)

1:30 AM
THE BLACK SWAN (1942)

3:00 AM
MARIE ANTOINETTE (1938)

Oct. 22nd
Margaret Lockwood Day!
I loved the early Carol Reed film, Bank Holiday and look forward to seeing this bleak but well done anthology film again. Very touching in parts, the movie captured the small hopes, triumphs and defeats of a cross section of Brits just before WWII. I've heard many good things about Madness of the Heart in which Maggie plays a "woman going blind [who] falls in love with a French nobleman"---shades of Love Affair (1944)? Cue the Cornish Rhapsody...oh, before I forget, Highly Dangerous pairs ML with (wait for it...) Dane Clark! It's chockfull of Cold War paranoia, a bit of derring-do on Maggie's part with Dane looking impressed.

9:00 AM
BANK HOLIDAY (1938)

10:30 AM
MADNESS OF THE HEART (1949)

12:00 PM
CAST A DARK SHADOW (1955)

1:30 PM
MAN OF THE MOMENT (1935)

3:00 PM
HIGHLY DANGEROUS (1950)

4:30 PM
A PLACE OF ONE'S OWN (1945)

6:15 PM
THE LADY VANISHES, THE (1938)

So Bad They Are Good Dept
. (These are all strictly subjective. Others may love these, I'm sure):

Oct. 1st
TWO LOVES (See Above)

Oct. 16th
IN THE COOL OF THE DAY (1963): Worth seeing for Angela Lansbury's performance, but there will be more about this tubercular travelogue later in the Bad Movies You Love Thread.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The October 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by movieman1957 »

"Rawhide" has always been one I've enjoyed. Claustrophobic is a good description. It's a story that works well in any setting but this one gives Jack Elam a chance to be crazy evil and that gives it a different twist.

"Intruder In The Dust" is a great film. "The Swimmer" was weird to me. Not a fan of horror films so maybe my own library will get a workout. A little disappointing there is no Jean Arthur birthday tribute but she has been prominent at other times lately, (That would have been Oct. 17.)

I'll have to check my "Now Playing" magazine for others.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Moira, thanks for starting this thread! Two Loves is a film I really like. Excellent direction by Charles Walters. Laurence Harvey has a role that suits him to a T: alcoholic, self-destructive, charming, careless about boundaries. Shirley MacLaine is halfway cast against type. A kooky teacher of the "no lesson plans, let the kids do what they want to" variety--yep, that's Shirley--but also a Joanne Woodward virgin. An interesting contradiction, which I have no trouble accepting. Jack Hawkins doesn't have much of a part, but Juano Hernandez as a Maori leader--you know that's going to be good.

True about Juano Hernandez as a presence and Larry sure tries to breath life into this story. I just don't think that the script really developed the central character enough from Sylvia Ashton-Warner's novel, "Spinster." We see that the MacLaine eccentric character is a free spirit in the classroom and a bit of "a Joanne Woodward virgin" in the world outside but never really learn why other than a surfeit of intellectualism. (LOVE that phrase about Joanne's chastity, btw). I was far more interested in the exquisite Nobu McCarthy, who plays the young Maori girl who teaches MacLaine a lesson in living. My real dilemma is that I can't stand Shirley, (my apologies to fans of this woman), but would kill for a chance to visit New Zealand (where Two Loves is set). Nice stock footage blended rather well with the Hollywood backgrounds, but it's better than never going there, I guess. I think I am more curious to see this 1985 film Sylvia, based on Sylvia Ashton-Warner's autobiography instead. Has anyone ever seen it?
[youtube][/youtube]
kingrat wrote:He's a fabulous silent film director--watch Kiki and A Woman of Affairs back to back and see how good he is at both comedy and drama. Arguably, he's less impressive in some of his 1930s films, but The Rains Came is first-rate and then in the 40s he gets to do a couple of films that return him to his Southern roots, The Yearling and Intruder in the Dust, both outstanding.
Oh, I disagree a bit about his early talkies, brother rat! I would recommend the pre-code Possessed (1931) to anyone. Not perfect, but it's worth seeing simply for the genuinely sensual bond captured between a man and a woman on film--but also for the individual performances by Crawford, Gable and Wallace Ford. At the time former jazz baby Crawford's career was not necessarily going smoothly (though that didn't mean she wasn't trying every second). This was the decade when F. Scott Fitzgerald complained that the actress "can't change her emotions in the middle of a scene without going through a sort of Jekyll and Hyde contortion of the face, so that when one wants to indicate that she is going from joy to sorrow, one must cut away and then cut back". Despite her occasionally awkward struggles on screen, Brown drew a particularly sensitive performance from her that may have been her most naturalistic up till then. One scene in particular shows how well Brown used Crawford's abilities. Playing a working class girl, in one memorable scene she is walking along side a train as it gains momentum. She watches a train going by slowly and glimpses people and another world beyond her reach...until a man offers champagne. How audiences then must have shared her yearning. Here's the scene and Skeets Gallagher is the city slicker who lures and teases her with his flippancy:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I too am looking forward to Tyrone Power in "Rawhide" (a gem of a western) and "Nightmare Alley" (perhaps his best performance).
Was looking forward to the October 10th. schedule, which is my birthday?
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's my favorite scene in Possessed, Moira, it's almost surreal, yet believable. Of course there is also that scene where Crawford calls Wally Ford a turnip, which is heartbreaking and hilarious all at the same time. :D

kingrat, I love your idea of watching A Woman of Affairs and Kiki back to back.

I'm very much looking forward to Clarence Brown getting some stand alone airtime. His strength is that he takes the time to let things happen naturally and quietly on the screen, while never seeming stagnant or dull. These small scenes put together build the story to some great heights, without ever seeming pushy. His emphasis on the person within the background and their choices, sometimes forced upon them...that quiet fatalism makes his movies quite beautiful to me.

Masha, Throne of Blood is my favorite of the Shakespeare Kurosawas. It's got something in it that British and American Shakespeare films never even touch on - MAGIC. If you aren't a fan of Shakespeare, see this movie. If you are, see this movie. It's filled with the most incredibly mystical, frightening, and beautiful images you will ever see. I was convinced for a long time after seeing this film that Kurosawa was a god...it's as if he were able bend the weather to his will, even to create it. I'm still not sure he wasn't some supernatural being sent down from the heavens to show us what enchantment looks like, not just the good kind either.

As for Raffles, you are right, Colman is the best, but man, Niven comes close.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you, Moira, for the notice about Margaret Lockwood's day. She's become one of my favorite British actresses, especially because of her early films. Bank Holiday is a wonderful little movie and she and James Mason were quite "the pair" on screen in the U.K. in several (mostly costume) dramas. The movie with Dane Clark sounds good.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm happy to get a good copy of Bank Holiday myself, MissG. Thanks to Moira for pointing out that gem on the schedule and to you for cluing me in on the movie a few months ago.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A good month for me.

A night of Samantha Eggar films. Unfortunately, most of them have played here before, but I'll set the recorder for Return From the Ashes (1965). It would be really nice for TCM to show Armando Crispino's The Etruscan Kills Again AKA The Dead are Alive (1972) (hint, hint):

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt= ... kills.html

Some really nice movies showing for The Story of Film series and I'm glad that they have changed up some of the horror films and are showing some different things this year. I don't remember seeing The Death Kiss (1933) on TCM. Kudos on making Price the star of the month. One underrated movie showing is the Rodger Corman flick, Tower of London (1962), which, despite the title, is actually a film version of Shakespeare's Richard III, with Price giving a great performance.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ha Mr. A. Pluggin' Giallo to the end...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's a great movie, not just a genre film.

Excellent soundtrack too:

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Return from the Ashes is an excellent film. Glad it is being shown again on TCM. Thanks for the heads up.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Tower of London is one of my faves! Price is just great in this telling of the story. My other favorite is showing, but in November, so I thought I'd plug it here - Theatre of Blood is on at 8 15 AM ET November 1st. It's got everything, horror, kitsch, good acting, and black humor.

Has anyone seen Don't Trust Your Husband with Maddie Carroll and Fred MacMurray? It sounds intriguing.

Also looking forward to October 6th, with Traffic in Souls (1913) starring Ethel Grandin followed by Les Maudits (1947) directed by Rene Clement and starring Marcel Dalio.

Then there's a curious title On Monday the 7th, that I can't remember seeing before, though it might have been on during Leslie Howard's SOTM turn. It's called Five and Ten (1931). The movie also stars Marion Davies. Has anyone seen it?

I am very excited that they are showing Pather Panchali, of which Kurosawa said,
"I can never forget the excitement in my mind after seeing it. I have had several more opportunities to see the film since then and each time I feel more overwhelmed. It is the kind of cinema that flows with the serenity and nobility of a big river... People are born, live out their lives, and then accept their deaths. Without the least effort and without any sudden jerks, Ray paints his picture, but its effect on the audience is to stir up deep passions. How does he achieve this? There is nothing irrelevant or haphazard in his cinematographic technique. In that lies the secret of its excellence."

This to me is the perfect description of the film. I do wish that one day they would show the Apu Trilogy all in a row.

There's a mini festival of J.M. Barrie on Thursday the 10th, featuring The Little Minister, What Every Woman Knows, Quality Street and The Admirable Crichton. The first three are all very enjoyable, but then, I am one of those odd folks who likes almost all the films Katharine Hepburn made when she was considered box office poison. What Every Woman Knows is one of the top three Helen Hayes films in my book.

The World The Flesh and The Devil
is really interesting, I got caught up in it last year when it was on, it's almost impossible to NOT watch it once you start.

I realize as I'm going through the schedule that there are too many good movies on for me to keep on describing them, raving about them, or saying I want to see them. I am so happy that TCM has gone the extra mile to show so many films in conjunction with The Story of Film. The documentary is thoughtful, and produces some really interesting insights, but the programming that has been planned around it is just genius. I wish they could show all the movies mentioned in the show, but that would be impossible. As it is, they've done an outstanding job.