The November 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The November 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

Oh thank you, Joel! That's great... I didn't know ChiO was squeamish about such things, but I certainly am, not that I mind anyone else's enjoyment of such things. I'm just a wuss.

I think I'll check out Anima Persa after Hatchet, and then work my way down the list.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I seen The Story of GI Joe - 1945 Film starring Meredith and Mitchum today - my write up of this film can be found here on this thread below.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... start=7245

Great War Film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Match King is my favorite Warren William film, KR, I hope you like it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think you'll be delighted by the raw energy of the character actors in The Front Page--though His Girl Friday is quite hard to forget if you have seen that first, kingrat.

Take a look at Josephine Hutchinson in Oil for the Lamps of China, (which also features the SSO pinup boy of the week--Lyle Talbot!). I've always thought that she was an interesting actress. According to Hutchinson's comments in later years, Warner Bros. had the misguided notion to make her and Pat O'Brien a team with this movie and I Married a Doctor (1936). The latter is a small scale movie that I really liked based on Sinclair Lewis' Main Street (despite censorship of the story). Good friends with Bette Davis, whenever she and Hutchinson got talking about their careers in this period, the movie diva used to chide her to fight, fight, fight for her roles and reputation. Apparently a gentle soul, Hutchinson had no desire to fight with anyone at Warners, and her film career was likely hampered by her rumored affair with theatrical legend, Eva Le Gallienne, whose production of Alice in Wonderland launched the younger woman's acting career prior to her arrival in Hollywood. Eventually, J.H. took television work and did supporting roles in several films, making several of them into small gems (Miracle in the Rain in particular).

The actress may be best remembered for her role as the elegant, unlucky lady in her husband's family castle in the amusingly expressionistic Son of Frankenstein (1939) and "The Electric Grandmother" episode on The Twilight Zone years later.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Moira, just watched the very interesting OIL FOR THE LAMPS OF CHINA and I noticed a bit of a resemblance between Josephine Hutchinson and Eleanor Parker. Is it just me?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Two Great Silents on TCM on Sunday Night
November 10th

Midnight (EST) 9:00 PM (PST)

Silent Classic Starring Harold Lloyd
Eastern Westerner, An (1920)

12:30 AM (EST) 9:30 PM (PST)

Silent Classic Directed/Starring Buster Keaton
Go West (1925)

I'm looking forward seeing these - and I haven't seen An Eastern Westerner in years and this is one of my favorite Harold Lloyd Classic. Go West is another favorite of mine and I love Silent Movies ... I was stunned to see these two movies that day.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Go West" is fun. You're going to love Brown Eyes. (She's in the cast.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

For those who like The Big Bang Theory, actor Simon Helberg, who plays scientist Howard Wolowitz, is going to be guest programmer tonight (Tuesday, November 12th) on TCM.

He's chosen

The Party (quite fitting since he has always seemed to me to be Steve Franken reincarnated)

Dr. Strangelove

Brief Encounter

and Modern Romance
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Looking forward seeing Dr. Strangelove! :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've not seen "Modern Romance" but have the other three with a soft spot for "The Party." Has so much ever been made out of so little. I figure Blake Edwards must have turned on the camera and let Sellers do whatever he wanted.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:"Go West" is fun. You're going to love Brown Eyes. (She's in the cast.)
You are so right Chris and I just finished watching it after I watched Strangelove and she is a darling! :) ... Planning on watching the other movie tomorrow ... Harold Lloyd's An Eastern Westerner. Go West is definitely a fun movie to watch. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We watched The Party last night as well, and it still has total laugh out loud moments - I can remember watching this with Alice when she was about 7 and we had tears streaming down our faces from laughing so hard. The bathroom scene is maybe the highlight, but it's just one continuous joke throughout. Last night I realized something that should have been obvious to me before, the homage to Mon Oncle... right down to the modern sculpture and artwork on the walls, and the stepping stones through the cee-ment pond that everyone traversed so elegantly...the bits of conversation overheard after the camera has passed a group of people. The deep focus jokes are right out of Tati and executed with that same sang-froid. Another laugh out loud moment - Steve Franken stumbling with a full tray of drinks across those stepping stones without spilling a drop.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE PARTY is a very funny show. I agree, Wendy, that writing took a back seat to...INSANITY! At his best, Blake Edwards did fine work. He was especially adept at sophisticated slapstick. The first two Panther films are among the funniest I've ever seen.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love those first PP films, I used to wait to see Peter Sellers with that globe....