The November 2013 Schedule on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The November 2013 Schedule on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Here's a link to the entire November schedule for TCM: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... 2013-11-01

Today is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Vivien Leigh. In honor of this luminous figure, TCM has 24 hours of Viv with the following films, beginning at 9:30am (ET) today and extending through Wednesday. There's more about Vivien Leigh at our recent guest author, Kendra Bean's site, vivandlarry.com

Which is your "never-miss-it" fave? :

9:30 AM
WATERLOO BRIDGE (1940)
A ballerina turns to prostitution when her fiance is reported killed in World War I.
Dir: Mervyn LeRoy Cast: Vivien Leigh , Robert Taylor , Lucile Watson .
BW-109 mins, TV-PG, CC,

11:30 AM
SHIP OF FOOLS (1965)
Passengers on a steam ship in the '30s struggle with their tangled relations and the rise of Nazism.
Dir: Stanley Kramer Cast: Vivien Leigh , Simone Signoret , Jose Ferrer .
BW-150 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 PM
ANNA KARENINA (1948)
Adaptation of Tolstoy's classic tale of a woman who deserts her family for an illicit love.
Dir: Julien Duvivier Cast: Vivien Leigh , Ralph Richardson , Kieron Moore .
BW-113 mins, TV-14, CC,

4:00 PM
FIRE OVER ENGLAND (1937)
A British spy infiltrates the Spanish court to thwart their planned invasion of England.
Dir: William K. Howard Cast: Flora Robson , Raymond Massey , Leslie Banks .
BW-89 mins, TV-G,

5:45 PM
THAT HAMILTON WOMAN (1941)
Naval hero Lord Nelson defies convention to court a married woman of common birth.
Dir: Alexander Korda Cast: Vivien Leigh , Laurence Olivier , Alan Mowbray .
BW-125 mins, TV-G, CC,

8:00 PM
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951)
A fading southern belle tries to build a new life with her sister in New Orleans.
Dir: Elia Kazan Cast: Vivien Leigh , Marlon Brando , Kim Hunter .
BW-125 mins, TV-PG, CC,

10:15 PM
GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
Classic tale of Scarlett O'Hara's battle to save her beloved Tara and find love during the Civil War.
Dir: Victor Fleming Cast: Thomas Mitchell , Barbara O'Neil , Vivien Leigh .
C-233 mins, TV-PG, CC,

2:15 AM
STORM IN A TEACUP (1937)
A small-town politician tries to end his daughter's romance with a crusading reporter.
Dir: Victor Saville Cast: Vivien Leigh , Rex Harrison , Cecil Parker .
BW-86 mins, TV-G,

4:00 AM
ROMAN SPRING OF MRS. STONE, THE (1961)
A fading stage star gets caught up in the decadent life of modern Rome when she hires a male companion.
Dir: José Quintero Cast: Vivien Leigh , Warren Beatty , Lotte Lenya .
BW-104 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

5:45 AM
DARK JOURNEY (1937)
Rival spies fall in love during World War I.
Dir: Victor Saville Cast: Conrad Veidt , Vivien Leigh , Joan Gardner .
BW-79 mins, TV-G,

7:15 AM
CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA (1945)
Julius Caesar gives the famed Egyptian queen lessons in government.
Dir: Gabriel Pascal Cast: Vivien Leigh , Claude Rains , Stewart Granger .
C-128 mins, TV-G, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

I'm loving the Friday nights devoted to Screwball comedy! It's a great idea. Good way to start a wacky weekend.
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Me too. A rare treat to have "Easy Living" shown. (1937)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

November brings another significant birthday, cinematically. Joel McCrea was born 108 years ago today. TCM is wheeling out some of the fine actor's best for the day!

(Source: Maudit)

9:30 AM
BIRD OF PARADISE (1932)
An island visitor falls for a Polynesian beauty slated for sacrifice to the gods.
Dir: King Vidor Cast: Dolores Del Rio , Joel McCrea , John Halliday .
BW-82 mins, TV-PG,

11:15 AM
MOST DANGEROUS GAME, THE (1932)
A big game hunter decides to stalk human prey.
Dir: Ernest B. Schoedsack Cast: Joel McCrea , Fay Wray , Robert Armstrong .
BW-63 mins, TV-PG, CC,

12:30 PM
PRIMROSE PATH (1940)
The youngest child in a family of prostitutes tries to go straight with a working man.
Dir: Gregory La Cava Cast: Ginger Rogers , Joel McCrea , Marjorie Rambeau .
BW-93 mins, TV-PG, CC,

2:15 PM
MORE THE MERRIER, THE (1943)
The World War II housing shortage brings three people together for an unlikely romance.
Dir: George Stevens Cast: Jean Arthur , Joel McCrea , Charles Coburn .
BW-104 mins, TV-G, CC,

4:15 PM
COLORADO TERRITORY (1949)
An outlaw just released from prison is sucked back into a life of crime in this remake of High Sierra.
Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Joel McCrea , Virginia Mayo , Dorothy Malone .
BW-94 mins, TV-G, CC,

6:00 PM
STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)
A parson uses six-guns and the Bible to bring peace to a Tennessee town.
Dir: Jacques Tourneur Cast: Joel McCrea , Ellen Drew , Dean Stockwell .
BW-89 mins, TV-G, CC,

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wonderful!

Watching GWTW last night, I was struck by the complexity of each pairing in the movie, and was trying to figure out which was the most important in the film? Was it Scarlett and Rhett? Or Scarlett and Melanie? Or Scarlett and Mammy? Or Mammy and Rhett? Every pairing has a deep richness, just like the visuals in this film. Perhaps the one relationship in the movie on which no time is spent is the most interesting and deeply important.

Most fascinating to me was the casting of Barbara O'Neill as Mrs. O'Hara. I was watching, thinking that the natural choice for this role was Fay Bainter... but someone, probably Selznick, had a different idea of the woman, again, something darker and more complex than the warmth of family. Barbara O'Neill brings great beauty but no warmth to the role. She was obviously a catch for her husband, and retains a stately elegance, while Gerald is a free spirited rogue. One can see him wooing her from her wealthy background and family and his rise as a good business man and planter. And this then sets up most of the relationships in the movie - why Scarlett wants Ashley (to recapture something of her mother's lifestyle), how she turns to her father for warmth an understanding. Gerald and Rhett have a lot in common, a wildness of nature that Scarlett has as well but also reviles a bit. She longs for stability.

The scene in which Mrs. O'Hara snubs WIlkerson is quite brilliant. Had she not talked down to him, had him fired, perhaps Tara would not have been in jeopardy later on and Scarlett would not have married Frank. Scarlett's mother is remote, in temperament as well as in real life. She is always off doing good deeds or praying for someone else's family, never her own. One can see a hardness in her when propriety is disturbed, even a lack of human kindness, perhaps an entitlement. I feel somehow that Scarlett's problems are in direct relation to her mother's distance and elegance. I think perhaps in Ashley, she is trying to recapture something of her mother's love and approbation, which was never given freely. If it exhibited itself at all, it was in entitlement, spoiling, and responsibility, an odd mix at best.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Watching GWTW last night, I was struck by the complexity of each pairing in the movie, and was trying to figure out which was the most important in the film? Was it Scarlett and Rhett? Or Scarlett and Melanie? Or Scarlett and Mammy? Or Mammy and Rhett? Every pairing has a deep richness, just like the visuals in this film. Perhaps the one relationship in the movie on which no time is spent is the most interesting and deeply important.
Or Scarlett and Melanie?

Interesting that you saw Barbara O'Neil's Ellen Robillard O'Hara as cold. I felt that she had strength and warmth tempered with an aristocratic French background that emphasized what Margaret Mitchell described as "order, dignity, and grace," qualities that she developed in herself even more after her education and her experiences running Tara when she married her husband at only 15. Also, one of the things that came out of the book much more than the movie was the restrictive way that women lived in the antebellum South, which is something that her mother is trying to help Scarlett reconcile herself to as she matures. Ellen O'Hara's firm, loving presence restrains and gives the impulses of her daughter Scarlett a moral reference point that her death and the war removes. Maybe Scarlett needed a more literally hands-on, affectionate mother, but then, in the view of a Southern woman at that time, perhaps that was regarded Mammy's job? God knows Mammy could read people like a book and never hesitated telling the truth about them (I often wonder if that was as much because that insight was Mammy's real power in the household, as well as because she cared about these people, despite everything).

I did not think that Mrs. O'Hara's dressing-down of Wilkerson was really a class-driven action, but after attending the poor Slattery girl in childbirth, she was probably tired and outraged at the man's fairly callous treatment of this woman.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)
Every time I see that TCM description I wonder if anyone there has watched the movie. Of course, the original MGM one-sheet shows the Parson shooting two six-guns, but I write that off to trying to get the menfolk into the theater.

Showed it in my Domestic Melodrama film class this term. Those who hadn't seen it (all but a couple enrollees) were stunned. And I, once again, was in tears.

Only CITIZEN KANE and THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC are above it in my movie pantheon.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You may be right, Moira. I've always seen her exactly the way you described before, probably because I did read the book before ever seeing the movie. Something about last night's watching made me see Mrs. O'Hara a little differently, darker as an influence, perhaps because I have a thirteen year old daughter, ha! Maybe it's that I haven't read the book since I was fifteen myself! :D

I admire Barbara O'Neill tremendously in her handling of the role. She, as the rest of the cast does, brings a lot to the role, some heavy acting chops. I think one of the great things about the film that I've noticed recently is how open to interpretation the characters are, with big grey areas as far as their actions are concerned.

And I by no means am letting Josiah Wilkerson off the hook! I think in this case, we could say that at least for once in her life, Ms. OHara shows a modern, more feminist sensibility in her attitude toward him. But if you watch the scene, she doesn't even give him the chance to speak. He and Emmy actually do marry later on, so as far as just the movie is concerned, there is wiggle room for a more lenient view of him. I found it very interesting that the same scenes I've watched all my life can be interpreted so differently.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:
STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)
Every time I see that TCM description I wonder if anyone there has watched the movie.
I think that some of the thumbnail descriptions of films in the daily schedule may come in canned form from outside TCM (The Leonard Maltin Classic Movie Guide, AFI or Rovi, for example)? In the past when I've seen the movie introduced by one of the hosts, it has received the kind of respect it deserves, enticing viewers who have never seen the movie to expect something very different from what that blurb might suggest.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO:

I know that "Stars In My Crown" has great meaning for you. I remember you showed it at church. I even went to find some of your posts about it but am deficient in my searching abilities.

I found the thread where you commented on the showing at your church. (Your brilliant daughter had a great comment.) Our long lost friend Judith posted that you had written eloquently on it earlier. I can't find it.

I wondered if you remembered where it was or if you would consider writing on the film. I watched it originally based on your suggestion (as I did with "Gun Crazy") and while I like the film I don't have the passion like that you do.

I'd love to read your thoughts on it and see if I'm missing anything. Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That IS an annoyingly mistaken blurb.

I second the interest in your thoughts on the movie.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Me three! A ChiO commentary track would be great!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

November Friday Night Comedies
November 15th on TCM

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: SCREWBALL COMEDIES

8:00 PM
Theodora Goes Wild (1936)

9:45 PM
Twentieth Century (1934)

11:30 PM
Easy Living (1937)

1:15 AM
It's A Wonderful World (1939)

2:45 AM
Merrily We Live (1938)

4:30 AM
If You Could Only Cook (1935)

In my own opinion this is a great line-up of SCREWBALL COMEDIES and I for one is looking forward for this and this alone. My DVR will be recording half of these movies and I going to try to watch most of them live. I loved Comedies and this lineup has lot to offer.

All Times EASTERN
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on November 6th, 2013, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll agree with you Erik, it's an excellent line-up. Looking forward to all of them, I may have to stay up all night.