CROSSFIRE

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

CROSSFIRE

Post by mrsl »

This movie has been mentioned a lot on this site, but never discussed as far as I can tell. To begin with, it must have been a lot of fun on that set when anyone called out 'Robert' because of the three Roberts starring in it - Young, Mitchum, and Ryan.

Young is a work weary detective investigating a murder. He knows a soldier did it, but apparently the war is just over and the town is full of guys heading or coming home. He does however, find three guys who were with the dead guy earlier in the evening so he concentrates on them, two of which were Ryan and Mitchum. It's a fairly typical murder mystery investigation but the thing that makes it particularly interesting is the feel of jewish racism involved, which Young picks up early on and although he's pretty sure who did it, he can't prove it yet, so he convinces Mitchum and the third soldier to assist. I've watched this several times, mainly because I like Young and Mitchum so much. Once you see a murder mystery you know the end so something has to draw you back time and again, and that pair does it for me. Ryan get pretty nasty in his climactic scene so you have to be kind of thick skinned to watch, but it is a top notch film, sure to keep you interested.

One thing I noticed, and I recall it from Father Knows Best, is that Robert Young constantly is smoking a pipe, as he did as 'Father'. Does anyone know if he was a veteran pipe smoker in private life?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: CROSSFIRE

Post by Rita Hayworth »

mrsl wrote:.

One thing I noticed, and I recall it from Father Knows Best, is that Robert Young constantly is smoking a pipe, as he did as 'Father'. Does anyone know if he was a veteran pipe smoker in private life?

Yes, according to my parents he was a veteran pipe smoker - in my family we have several pipe smokers and my own Grandfather (my mom side of the family, is a Robert Young Admirer) loves to smoke pipes and met him on one occasion on set on FATHER KNOWS BEST and asked him do you smoke pipes - in private life and he said yes occasionally with pride.

http://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/ ... young.html