The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

The introduction of The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM is one of the networks most intriguing and diverse experiments in programming for some of us, and I thought perhaps it might deserve its own thread. One aspect of this feature is that over a month's time, one genre, aspect of filmmaking, or a particular filmmaker is more thoroughly examined and introduced by rotating guest hosts.

Since it was begun within the last year, my favorites so far have been David Edelstein's introductions of the films of Francois Truffaut, The Film Noir Foundation's Eddie Muller and his illuminating presentations on the relation of writers to film noir, and Deborah Nadoolman Landis' turn this month, exploring costume design on film.

What do you like or dislike about this relatively new feature? What aspect of the cinema would you like to see explored for a month of Fridays?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Re: The Friday Night Spotlight on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

So far I've really liked Edelstein best, his personality matches well with TCM. I liked Muller as well, he seems like a lot of fun. While I enjoy screwball so very much, I thought that Mathew Broderick seemed ill at ease and uncomfortable in front of the camera. Guess that's why he's a good actor, he probably likes to disappear into a role. He sure looked like he wanted to disappear when making those intros. :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I agree about Matthew Broderick. He is either one of those actors who is terminally shy out of character or something was very much amiss at the time of filming (I kept thinking he was fighting the flu or something). I wish that the Eddie Muller idea of connecting writers and the translations of their work to the screen could be pursued further, exploring the impact of other writers on film.

Personally, I'd love to see someone focus on a series of nights when "women's films" created from the work of Fanny Hurst, Olive Higgins Prouty, and Edna Ferber could be the focal point for one month. While a bit harder to categorize, It would also be interesting to see writers as different as Vera Caspary, Viña Delmar and Daphne du Maurier highlighted each Friday for a month. I think it might be great fun to see a month of Gainsborough flicks from the '40s on TCM.

One host I might suggest for the women's films would be Jeanine Basinger.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

One more thing--Mongo has long had an interest in figures who "missed the brass ring" in Hollywood, which he brought to light 11 years ago (!!) here: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messa ... 727&#25727

Well, Joe, when we both recover from the shocking knowledge that we've been communicating for over a decade about our best-loved films, it sure would be nice to see you (or someone of your choosing) hosting four evenings of actors such as John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Richard Egan, Mary Beth Hughes, Peggy Cummins, Wayne Morris, Ann Dvorak, Faye Emerson, James Craig, George Nader and Diane Varsi, among others.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

It would be a fabulous "MONGO" inspired evening! I would love it!

:D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

INTRODUCTION TO THE HOLLYWOOD COSTUME

From Turner Classic Movies Web Page

Deborah Nadoolman Landis

The popular TCM franchise Friday Night Spotlight continues with "The Hollywood Costume," which illuminates some of Hollywood's most talented designers and their fabulous creations. This "Spotlight" is hosted by Deborah Nadoolman Landis, an American film and theater costume designer and the author of Hollywood Costume (2012), Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design (2007) and Hollywood Sketchbook: A Century of Costume Illustration (2012). Landis, Oscar®-nominated for her costumes in 1988's Coming to America, also designed for many other major films including 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark. Each Friday night she will present a pair of double-features highlighting two different designers.

The festival begins on Friday, Dec. 6 at 8pm with a look at Travis Banton, famous for dressing Marlene Dietrich in Blonde Venus (1932) and Claudette Colbert in Cleopatra (1934); Orry-Kelly, whose many credits at Warner Bros. include Casablanca (1942) and Auntie Mame (1958). Subsequent nights will feature Irene Sharaff, who created Barbra Streisand's clothes for Funny Girl (1968) and Elizabeth Taylor's for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966); Anthea Sylbert, designer of 1970s classics as Chinatown (1974) and Carnal Knowledge (1971); Jean Louis, who clothed Doris Day in Send Me No Flowers (1964) and Ann Roth, who designed for Meryl Streep in Silkwood (1983) and Jane Fonda in Klute (1971, TCM premiere).

TCM will continue to explore the art of costume design in the overnight hours, with additional double-features highlighting such designers as Adrian, the star designer of MGM films including The Women (1939) and Anna Karenina (1935); Walter Plunkett, designer of MGM classics including Adam's Rib (1949) and Forbidden Planet (1956); and the legendary Edith Head, whose numerous celebrated costumes include those in Sullivan's Travels(1941) and The Seven Little Foys (1955)and Helen Rose, whose MGM movies included The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) and Annie Get Your Gun (1950).
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on December 10th, 2013, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Those are great suggestions Moira, and I love the idea of a 'missed the brass ring' series.

you've made me think of one myself -

A month long celebration of women screenwriters -

highlighting Frances Marion, Salka Viertel, Leigh Brackett, Gene Gauntier, Dorothy Parker, Clemence Dane, Bess Streeter Aldrich, Frederica Sagor Maas, Phoebe Ephron (and Nora), Ruth Gordon, Alice Duer Miller, Bess Meredyth, Betty Comden, Lenore J. Coffee, Marguerite Roberts, Dorothy Farnum, Adela Rogers St. Johns, Joan Harrison, Ruth Cummings, Josephine Lovett, Hope Loring, Eleanor Perry, Clara Beranger, Dorothy Kingsley, Ouida Bergere, Elinor Glyn, Sally Benson, Anita Loos, Jeanie MacPhersonm Betty Reinhardt, and June Mathis, plus more my poor brain can't possibly think of.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:A month long celebration of women screenwriters -

highlighting Frances Marion, Salka Viertel, Leigh Brackett, Gene Gauntier, Dorothy Parker, Clemence Dane, Bess Streeter Aldrich, Frederica Sagor Maas, Phoebe Ephron (and Nora), Ruth Gordon, Alice Duer Miller, Bess Meredyth, Betty Comden, Lenore J. Coffee, Marguerite Roberts, Dorothy Farnum, Adela Rogers St. Johns, Joan Harrison, Ruth Cummings, Josephine Lovett, Hope Loring, Eleanor Perry, Clara Beranger, Dorothy Kingsley, Ouida Bergere, Elinor Glyn, Sally Benson, Anita Loos, Jeanie MacPhersonm Betty Reinhardt, and June Mathis, plus more my poor brain can't possibly think of.
Great idea, Wen. I would throw in Frances Goodrich of Goodrich and (Albert) Hackett fame.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It might have been done but maybe spotlighting blacklisted artists, if there are enough, films directed by actors. I guess the ideas are endless.

Hey, I know, films suggested by members of SSO. With all of you doing it we'd have a very smart selection.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Rita Hayworth wrote:I find TCM Web Site too much information and not enough substance to figure out that they are having special nights and all that. And, I find the color of green that they recently changed very difficult for me to navigate throughout the site because of its all blends together. I wished they mixed things up.

I just wanted to convey how I feel about this feature and I did not even aware of this until Moira brought it up this morning.
Erik, I have read that you are not alone in having issues with the new color scheme on the TCM site, but perhaps it will become something we can learn to live with anyway.

I don't read the TCM website in depth all the time, though I try to look at the schedule and monthly highlights from week to week to keep in mind films I hope to see. When something occurs such as the recent death of Eleanor Parker, I usually check out the movie news section too, since that is often where changes in scheduling are announced initially.
movieman1957 wrote:It might have been done but maybe spotlighting blacklisted artists, if there are enough, films directed by actors. I guess the ideas are endless.

Hey, I know, films suggested by members of SSO. With all of you doing it we'd have a very smart selection.
I think that TCM has done past tributes to blacklisted artists, but would like to see more about them again. Of course, another idea for Friday nights that would fly with us might be a series of character actor Fridays. However, that should really be done for THREE months, not just one, she said adamantly.... :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Moira for your thoughts about the TCM Website and all; I edit it out because I felt I was too critical of it and I just wanted to vent my feelings about it and nothing more.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

No worries, Erik. We each have a right to our likes and dislikes. Personally, whenever I hear the word "computer upgrade" I cringe inwardly, since I know it often means some inadvertent glitches, re-learning where things are on a site and getting accustomed to someone's idea of streamlining. Still, I try to tell myself it is good mental exercise to adapt to change (which comes our way, like it or not, darn it!). :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, this block on Fridays makes it easier for them to spotlight themes without messing with our SOTM spot. I didn't care for it when they presented a group SOTM - not to complain too much, as a group SOTM is better than none.