The June 2014 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The June 2014 TCM Schedule

Post by moira finnie »

Okey-dokey. Now I understand why I have never seen Against All Flags (1952) before. Despite the overly bright colors of the film's relentlessly lit cinematography (a sad reality in too many '50s studio products, alas), it is a bit wan when it comes to derring-do, with too much heavy breathing from Anthony Quinn for me. "Less is more, Tony," came to mind several times.

A slightly bleary-looking Errol Flynn did a good job in his two-handed scenes with Maureen O'Hara, though a director other than George Sherman might have encouraged a bit less of the increasingly tedious "Spitfire!" aspect of her character and much more of the "highly capable but emotionally naive" characterization. Best of all: Mildred Natwick as the Scottish governess of the Caliph's nubile daughter. Flynn & Mildred should have had more scenes together. I loved it when he asked her to give him the pistol she was hiding in her underwear.

The rest of the pirate features with Mr. Flynn last night on TCM were sublime--esp. The Sea Hawk (1940), which made me appreciate all over again the artistry and craftsmanship of the studio system, especially in that compelling opening sequence. Wouldn't it be great to see this movie on the big screen?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik & Moira,

I watched "Against All Flags" and "Captain Blood" last night and enjoyed them both - "Blood" more than "Flags", as you Moira....
I have seen "The Sea Hawk" so many times that I gave it a miss this time round!

I think poor Errol was exhibiting his years of drink and womanizing by '52 and thus his more haggard look. Also, I thought Anthony Quinn was getting a little 'long in the tooth' by then too...
Maureen was exquisite looking as always - even into maturity and old age. I enjoyed her very much, and since I never care whether any of them can act or not (I'm not a good judge of that) I just luxuriate in the view!!!
I agree Mildred Natwick is a prize in any film she graces...

I loved "Captain Blood" - have only seen it once before in the '60's - and was very happy that it was historically correct in so far as the Judge Jeffries portion was portrayed. The actor who played him was "spot on"....
I wondered whether R. Osborne had informed Olivia that her film was playing??? Both she and Errol should be proud of that movie.

Loved the gouty governor; and don't you just always want to always smack Lionel Atwill in every movie!!

Larry
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I've been away from the TCM boards for awhile due to pressing family responsibilities, was thankfully able to return yesterday and so tried to log on late last night, then promptly forgot my password.

Moira, I P'M'd you yesterday but just to be on the safe side thought I'd better post another pathetic cry for help here out in the "open", in case you haven't yet looked at your messages.

Did anyone see the ridiculously logic-impaired MAN BAIT? (or, as I call it, 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD: THE SLEAZY YEARS) Why anyone (an embalmed looking George Brent) would hire Diana Dors as an invoice "clark" for a bookshop is beyond me.

Still trying to get over I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS as an "Essential". Not too groovy.

Of course, I'll be watching Mr. Big tonight and I'm not talking about Chris Noth from Sex and the City. This is the first and best GODZILLA -- atmospheric, moody, with a convincing sense of dread and disturbingly creepy musical score.

Mom enjoyed THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET. We were both amused at the idea of Don Knotts contemplating adultery with a flounder.

Happy Summer!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The fireworks start late:

Zorro (1920)
Blue (1994)
White (1994)
Red (1994)
Haxan (1922)

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Love Blue, less so White but particularly Red, but I was struck for the thousandth time that you gotta love a network that reels out Mighty Joe Young followed later in the night by a silent but lively Zorro and then the brilliant Three Colors from Krzysztof Kieslowski.

Gad, has there ever been such a collection of movies shown anywhere?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:I've been away from the TCM boards for awhile due to pressing family responsibilities, was thankfully able to return yesterday and so tried to log on late last night, then promptly forgot my password.
*SPOILER ALERT*

Bronxie, Hope you got my PM??? I'll try to help if I can. I LOVE Man Bait and think that innocent lamb Diana Dors was a born scrivener with the soul of librarian (and the body of a Burlesque veteran). Whoa, what tranquilizer was George Brent on during this production? He's almost comatose, even after his wife croaked and he was on the lam.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Love Blue, less so White but particularly Red, but I was struck for the thousandth time that you gotta love a network that reels out Mighty Joe Young followed later in the night by a silent but lively Zorro and then the brilliant Three Colors from Krzysztof Kieslowski.

Gad, has there ever been such a collection of movies shown anywhere?

I know, I know, I know Moira! ... Last Night was no exception ... Loved Young, Loved Zorro, and the brilliant Three Colors too! :)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, moira! I just sent you a PM.

For everyone who missed MAN BAIT, I recently found it on YouTube. It's definitely not to be missed, lol. Loving those little-seen Hammer noirs. I'm also a sucker for any 1950's black and white movie set in England, especially if they involve bookstores and Diana Dors, separately or together. :D

Mom didn't want to see the original GODZILLA. Her response? "Why do I need to see a giant lizard? We have enough of them in Florida".

I think I'm in love with Lawrence Tierney, thanks to that delightful interstitial. (Even though with age he started resembling Rod Steiger) Larry just might be closing in on edging out my bad boy sweetie Tom Tyler, although frankly I don't think it will be possible to knock Luke Plummer down to second place.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Did anyone else see this on TCM? Oh, you are NOT alone with Mr. Tierney, Bronxie. I think I met another dead guy to love last night when TCM ran this Lawrence Tierney interstitial featuring the man himself commenting on his career.

He was adorable when he was old. I've never been able to get all the way through Reservoir Dogs (it is waaaaay too violent for me and this wimp is always leery about movies with Harvey Keitel since he might take his clothes off again, as he did in "The Piano." I wuz traumatized seeing the man in all his uh, um, glory).

Yet I have always liked the movies that Tierney did when young though he always scared me in them--and we all have, of course, read some of the 'wild man' stories about his life and times. Now I see that he was like Frankenstein--just misunderstood. LOVE the bit when he says he'd like to play all kinds of parts, not just tough guys...but if a great bad old guy part comes along, call him!
[youtube][/youtube]

"Starring Lawrence Tierney" is scheduled to begin at 8pm (ET) tomorrow night on 6/25.

8:00 PM
DILLINGER (1945)
The legendary gunman plots a series of daring heists.
Dir: Max Nosseck Cast: Lawrence Tierney , Edmund Lowe , Anne Jeffreys .
BW-70 mins, CC,

9:15 PM
BADMAN'S TERRITORY (1946)
A sheriff and a newspaperwoman take on a band of outlaws invading the Oklahoma panhandle.
Dir: Tim Whelan Cast: Randolph Scott , George "Gabby" Hayes , Ann Richards .
BW-98 mins, CC,

11:00 PM
BORN TO KILL (1947)
A murderer marries a young innocent then goes after her more experienced sister.
Dir: Robert Wise Cast: Claire Trevor , Lawrence Tierney , Walter Slezak .
BW-92 mins, CC,

12:45 AM
HOODLUM, THE (1951)
The rise and fall of a habitual criminal, and the havoc he wreaks on the lives of his loved ones.
Dir: Max Nosseck Cast: Lawrence Tierney , Allene Roberts , Marjorie Riordan .
BW-62 mins, CC,

2:00 AM
STEP BY STEP (1946)
The FBI trails a young couple suspected of stealing government plans.
Dir: Phil Rosen Cast: Lawrence Tierney , Anne Jeffreys , Lowell Gilmore .
BW-61 mins,

3:15 AM
BACK TO BATAAN (1945)
An Army colonel leads a guerrilla campaign against the Japanese in the Philippines.
Dir: Edward Dmytryk Cast: John Wayne , Anthony Quinn , Beulah Bondi .
BW-95 mins, CC,

5:00 AM
SAN QUENTIN (1946)
An ex-con sets up a program to straighten out hard-core prisoners.
Dir: Gordon M. Douglas Cast: Lawrence Tierney , Marian Carr , Barton MacLane .
BW-66 mins,

Keep track of Mr. Tierney in future TCM schedules here:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/191992% ... e-Tierney/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'll have to watch this when I get a chance...just from the image I did think it was Rod Steiger, lol.
Tierney and Leo Gordon both seemed so flinty as to strike sparks in even the most benign roles.
:)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote:Welcome back, Bronxie. I am laughing way too loud at your mother's comment about Godzilla.

Obviously I need to see Man Bait. And, uh, it's easy to understand why any man would hire Diana Dors as an invoice clerk or any other job.

Thanks, king! :D Frankly I'm surprised Mom deigned to watch THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET, that's how basically averse she is to horror (Carole Cook), sci-fi, and fantasy in general.

I spotted a very young Diana in David Lean's OLIVER TWIST, so I guess she really does have literary credentials, lol.

moira, if only I could find one good live guy to adore instead of all these dead movie stars, blast it! But I have to admit, it's far less trouble...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm staying up with Lawrence tonight! Love him in DILLINGER. Did anyone else think Edmund Lowe as "Specs" looked weirdly like Lionel Barrymore? The most shocking scene for me didn't involve Larry behaving badly -- instead, it was the fleeting but horrific sight of a bare chested Elisha Cook, Jr. Decency prevents me from commenting further. :shock:

I was initially thrilled to see Tom Tyler and Tierney listed in the opening credits as Frank and Jesse James in BADMAN'S TERRITORY, which is now winding its way toward closure. My two cutie-pies together! But so disappointing to see how little screen time the boys received. No sooner did they appear before it was on to Belle Starr, then the Daltons; I swear, this movie was like a Western HOUSE OF DRACULA.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Mr. Arkadin[/u] wrote:The fireworks start late:

Zorro (1920)
Blue (1994)
White (1994)
Red (1994)
Haxan (1922)

[youtube][/youtube]

I LOVE Criterion's "THREE REASONS" campaign and enjoyed the ironic coincidences in Kieslowski's films. I tried my hand at my own THREE REASONS for a web series I worked on. Yeah yeah, I know. I know. I ain't Kieslowski.

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com