October Schedule 2014

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: October Schedule 2014

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

What's up, Western Guy? LOL

I love Lloyd! Adore him in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. Underrated dramatic actor. Enjoyable as Michael Shayne, too.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Great talkin' to ya, Christie.

Lloyd was a good actor and prince of a guy. I gotta get Moira to post that interview I did with him.

And speaking of which, another actor who seemed old forever: Lewis Stone.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I agree about Khartoum's qualities, but can't help thinking that some editing might have helped to make the story more accessible to modern audiences in the '60s and now.

Director Basil Dearden deserves to be more appreciated but this sweeping epic doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of his work except that it reflects a nuanced intelligence behind the camera. Do you have a favorite film directed by Dearden (his filmography can be seen here)?

I know one member's answer is going to be The Captive Heart (1946)....you know who you are!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
norfious

Post by norfious »

(From out of nowhere I appear again!)

I always love Octobers on TCM, since I love the old, hokey horror films. I have always wanted to see "The Tingler," and I am happy to see it being shown on Halloween this year! Unfortunately, I will be unable to watch it yet again. :\

I am very happy to see them showing 1963's "The Haunting," which I consider to be the best horror film I've ever seen. It's more of a psychological thriller than a horror film, really, but it is quite deep and it provokes so many questions! I own this one, but I will probably try to watch it on TCM to hear what Robert Osborne has to say about it.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE TINGLER is quite entertaining. I know several people who consider Robert Wise's disturbing THE HAUNTING our great horror film. I'll add you to the list!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, Loved the discussion of character actors who looked old from birth.... Moira, FANTASTIC photos. I've seen some of those at my secret photo source, but not all of them! I have a few other shockers I've collected over time if anyone wants to see them... some of those old coots were gorgeous! Young Harry Davenport I had seen before and just couldn't get over it.

I'm still looking for a Maude Eburne youth photo....but no such luck. She's an actress I've only just noticed...quite excellent at batty characters, like in Ruggles of Red Gap.

I believe I read that Lewis Stone went gray prematurely but it didn't stop him from being a leading man in the twenties.

And thanks for the salute to Laraine Day. Yes, I love her! I don't know exactly what makes her so appealing. I think perhaps she reminds me of my mother, a woman who was really lovely - beautiful, warm, graceful and elegant without ever in the least drawing attention to those attributes in herself. There's a whole lot to be said for being nice and unpretentious. Especially in Hollywood.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I have a few other shockers I've collected over time if anyone wants to see them...
You have to ASK??? Of course I want to see your stash!! Please?
JackFavell wrote:I'm still looking for a Maude Eburne youth photo....but no such luck. She's an actress I've only just noticed...quite excellent at batty characters, like in Ruggles of Red Gap.
Maude Eburne's career was pretty extensive onstage, but she didn't make it to Broadway until after her 25th birthday, so finding images of her from plays that were early big hits for her, such as A Pair of Sixes (1914)--and the 1919 silent that resulted, is pretty tough. I did find an article by her in the October, 1919 Theatre Magazine entitled as below:

Women Who Are Funny Off the Stage by Maude Eburne
JackFavell wrote:I believe I read that Lewis Stone went gray prematurely but it didn't stop him from being a leading man in the twenties.
Lewis Stone was even a romantic lead in the teens. Guess who was the hunk who essayed the Joel McCrea/Louis Jourdan role in the original Broadway production of The Bird of Paradise in 1912? The famed Laurette Taylor was Mr. Stone's "Luana"...as usual the New York Times approached the show with disdain, but other papers and the public ate up the colorful scenery and their first tastes of Hawaiian music and dance on the stage of Daly's Theatre in NYC. It probably didn't hurt that the show opened in January, when most people would kill to see something green and warm in the Northeast.
JackFavell wrote:And thanks for the salute to Laraine Day. Yes, I love her! I don't know exactly what makes her so appealing. I think perhaps she reminds me of my mother, a woman who was really lovely - beautiful, warm, graceful and elegant without ever in the least drawing attention to those attributes in herself. There's a whole lot to be said for being nice and unpretentious. Especially in Hollywood.
Loved her, but I must say that the movie with Barry Nelson as A Yank on the Burma Road was hilariously far-fetched with Cabbie Barry Nelson showing the Chinese how to drive a truck down a 90 degree angle hill and live to tell the tale.

Were there good parts? You bet. Laraine Day's hair was never even mussed (even when driving the above-mentioned truck), nor did she realize she was attracted to Barry until her Axis hubby showed his true colors and boy, was she surprised. Keye Luke had a leading role and was easily the most intelligent person in the film. Lots of Asian actors got a chance to play someone other than a cruel Japanese soldier (though lots of others did play those parts).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! You are making me almost glad I missed the Road to Burma movie. I've never been fond of Barry Nelson. I think I mentioned before that I saw him in a play in the late seventies or early eighties. I swear his hair made an entrance before he did. The sight of that....gulp....frightening hennaed mop atop his wrinkled aging face was horrifying. Ah well. Keye Luke can do no wrong in my book.

As for the Maude Eburne link, well, Moira, you and norfious have made my day! Between this and the Arnold Stang interviews over at the character actors thread, I am one happy film fan. Thanks! I haven't been this excited since I found the Joseph Calleia collection of photos on ebay. I suspect you are a treasure. :D

OK, here's my collection of character actors who always looked old:

Now when I first saw this, I swore it was Constance Collier but it turns out to be Edward Everett Horton in drag. I know this is just going to stir up more controversy about this beloved actor, so I'll also include a drawing I found of EEH as a young man:

THIS is Constance Collier. I know, it's hard to believe:

Edward Van Sloan (in honor of Halloween). Hubba hubba!

Lucile Watson:

Roland Young:

Walter Connolly:

Henry Travers, looking exactly the same, in a 1926 production of Pygmalion:

A dapper Spencer Charters, looking somewhat younger, though not young:

Ian Wolfe, at right, in a production of The Seagull. Also pictured, Lewis Leverett, Dorothy Sands, and E.J. Ballantine.

I realized that there is a subset of our list called "WHEN THEY HAD HAIR":

I am embarrassed to admit that I think Lee Tracy is an adorable cutie in this photo:

norfious

Post by norfious »

JackFavell wrote:
Roland Young:

Wow, it's really neat to see all these actors when they were younger. I am especially happy to see this photo Roland Young. He's another favorite of mine.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

moira finnie wrote:I agree about Khartoum's qualities, but can't help thinking that some editing might have helped to make the story more accessible to modern audiences in the '60s and now.

Director Basil Dearden deserves to be more appreciated but this sweeping epic doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of his work except that it reflects a nuanced intelligence behind the camera. Do you have a favorite film directed by Dearden (his filmography can be seen here)?

I know one member's answer is going to be The Captive Heart (1946)....you know who you are!

:oops: :oops: :oops:...but it is such a WONDERFUL movie....... :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jackie, OMG Edward Van Sloan!!!!

What is your avatar? I lurv it!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Forgive me, but I have to add one more to that "Were they ever really young" list:

The immortal George Zucco.
norfious

Post by norfious »

I have some to add to the list. How about Walter Brennan and E.E Clive?